Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I did everything I could to rectify the problem with my BD player with no success. I took it to futureshop because I had the extended warranty and it looks like I may just be given a credit and told to buy another unit. So what should I look for now? What's decent? I have had bad luck with samsung first my tv and now my bd. Maybe a 3D blu-ray? Any Other features I should look for? Brand name? I'll have about $350 to spend.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
My two cents, look for the best load time.

For BD playback there should be no difference in PQ between any of the units. Assumption here is that you have any effect modes turned off and the player does not mess with the signal in any way.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
If you have a lot of (regular) DVDs that you wish to play on the BD player, some players are better at upconversion than others and the quality of upconversion doesn't appear to be price-related either. Once you have your eye on a particular unit or two, check out the internet reviews and also search for the model numbers here to see what people say.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Consider whether you want a 3D capable one or not.

Sony PS3 is a bit loud and DVD upscaling is good but not the best, however, it is fast, has stellar Blu-ray playback and is 3D capable. Lots of threads discussing around here.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, Future Shop called me today, they put a part in my BD but it still had the same problem. I have to come in and choose a replacement. This is now the second samsung products in the same amount of years I have had go on me (a TV and now the BD player). I am a little gun shy to get another one but they seem to offer the most amount of features.

Can you tell me what you are using, or what brands seem to be better. Unfortunately I am limited to the players that Futureshop carries.

DVD playback, nextflix streaming are important.

I am thinking at this point in time I might as well go 3D. However, does 3D work with a projector?

·
Registered
382 Posts
This is now the second samsung products in the same amount of years I have had go on me (a TV and now the BD player). I am a little gun shy to get another one but they seem to offer the most amount of features.
Personally, based on my experiences with Samsung's service dept. I'll NEVER buy another Samsung product again. You're gun shy for a very good reason.

I purchased the Sony BDP-S570 earlier this year and couldn't be happier. Great load times, no complaints about how it handles my extensive DVD library, and it will do Netflix streaming.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
If your budget is still $350, I'd spend that on a PS3 as hugh already suggested.
If you want to save a bit of cash, I like cdn_tbird's suggestion of the Sony BDP-S570.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more question and I will make my decision. Would the PS3 make a good enough blu-ray player for a purpose built home theater or do you think a stand alone unit would be the better way to go? Sorry 2 questions. Does the PS3 do 7.1 surround that is decoded by most AVRs out now?
Thanks for your help everyone! I have to make a decision tonight.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
PS3 will do anything other players will do except it does not have an IR remote so you can't use it with a universal remote like Harmony UNLESS you buy an adapter. Discussed on other threads so search if you are interested.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
The PS3 can handle 7.1 audio, however, remember that there are two PS3s. There's the old "fat" PS3 that must do the decoding and send LPCM out the HDMI connection and then there's the new PS3 Slim which sends bitstream HD audio out the HDMI for the AVR to decode.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76082

See the section near the end of the AVR features. If you wish to use an IR remote dongle for the PS3, search this forum for "IR4PS3" or IR2BT, or IR4BT, etc.

·
Registered
815 Posts
If you buy a PS3, you might also want to get a PS3 Bluray remote, which works much like a regular remote, rather than using the standard PS3 controller. They are not very expensive.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
scampbell, this is what hugh & 57 are referring to. Logitech also makes an adapter for their Harmony remotes. Discussed in other threads.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I do not recommend anyone pay more than $100 for a new blu ray player.
Choose a brand name (Sony, LG, Toshiba etc.) and do not waste your money on no-name brands offered from the various retailers.
Next year prices for regular blu ray players will be less than $100 with the 3D players become cheaper to own.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
cooper83: scampbell was referring to the Bluetooth (not Bluray) remote that you can purchase for the PS3 for about $20-30.

expressmoria: Although the PQ from any BD player is going to be the same, whether you spend $100 or $500, the upconversion of DVDs and various audio options available from various players - often more expensive - may make it worthwhile to purchase something "better" depending on a person's specific needs. Some players also have more/different features and are faster to boot, change chapters, etc.

The OP also has $350 to spend, but I suppose he could purchase other items to make up the difference...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the input guys I ended up buying the PS3 seems like the logical choice especially since the slim does bit streaming audio.... Is there anything it doesn't do?????

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
IR for use with a normal universal remote control (already discussed)

Great choice!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's ok I bought the bd remote for the time being and if the time comes at least I know there is already a solution for that!

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I do not recommend anyone pay more than $100 for a new blu ray player.
wow, just wow.

Even from error-correction alone, Sony BDP-S270 vs Sony BDP-S570 there difference is huge. Also wifi enabled BD player will make FW update easier. Furthermore DVD upscaling on a higher-priced BD player is far better than the $100 ones.

now if you watch the BD at screen-size : distance more than 1:2, you won't be able to see the difference.

Furthermore, any BD player have video decoder and video processor, please try the $98 Toshiba vs $499 Oppo. If you can't see the difference (even on BD playback), more power to you. On my 50" from 12' away I can see slight difference (on BD playback) and on my 9ft screen viewed from 9ft away (on BD playback) the difference is so very clear it's not even funny.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sony BDP-S270 is chapped down version of BDP-S370. I wonder if there is difference in picture quality between BDP-S370 and BDP-S570? For some WIFI might be necessity but if possible wired ethernet connection is the best way to go, not only for security but for speed and signal stability. Unfortunately no Netflix on BDP-S370. Is it available on BDP-S570?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts