Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my brother in law bought the Wii for my kids for Christmas, the kids are 4 and 6 yo. I'm wondering what if anything I should get for the system so we can start using it Christmas day? Any games or gear that you could suggest are must haves for their age group would be great.

We have a 50" HDTV DLP with stereo surround sound if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dionne

·
Registered
785 Posts
Super Mario Galaxy
The included Wii Sports should keep them entertained for a while too, just make sure you have enough wii motes and nunchuks for both of them

But just so you know, Wii games look much better on smaller tvs.

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Super Mario Galaxy is great but I'm not sure it would be good for a 4 and 6 yo.

My eight year old thinks Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, Wii Play, Excite truck, Mario Party 8 or Wii Sports might be better choices

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all so very much, this will give me a great option of what to get for the boys, I'll take a peek at what the local stores have stock of EB here I come, LOL.

The info on the smaller TV having better picture is very helpful we may have been disappointed with the output, we will have to look at hooking it up to the 37" in the play room then.

Thanks again to you all, this is a HUGE help to me, you have saved me hours of research.

Dionne

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wii Sports supports up to 4 players, so if the whole family is going to be playing you might want to get 4 Wii remotes + nunchuck attachments (the extra remotes will add a fair bit to the overall cost though).

You'll definitely also want to get the component video cables if you are going to be using it with an HDTV.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
My 6 year old loves the Wii Sports (that comes with it) and the Wii Play (from the extra remote). The other games seems too complex. She loves the bowling the best but also plays a lot of tennis. And loves most of the Wii Play games, especially the matching.

Your 4 year old may be a little too young for Wii.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Your 4 year old may be a little too young for Wii.
For my youngest (just turned 5) we bought Cosmic Family and play it together. I think your 4 year old could handle that. Ours was reluctant to play it at first because it wasn't what her big sisters were playing, but I think she enjoyed sitting on my lap as we played together.

She really does love Wii sports, though--especially the bowling because she's able to score better than the rest of us! :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again everyone I'll take everything under advisement and see what I can find this late into the shopping season.

As for my 4 year old being too young for the Wii, I don't think it will be an issue, both of my boys have had alot of exposure to PC games as well as handheld systems, he keeps up pretty well with any child, so I don't think it will be a problem, we will have to wait and see how he does with the games, and see if he even enjoys any of the titles I'm able to find.

Thanks again everyone this gives me alot of info to go on, and my hubby is happy that the wii will look better on a smaller set, we won't have to fight the kids for our tv then, LOL.

Cheers.

Dionne

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wii for Christmas

Purchased the Wii for our 9 year old Granddaughter this Christmas. Also bought the additional Wii-motes and some additional games.

My concern is that while she'll be taking it home with her and using a normal CRT-type TV set, we have a plasma and I'm wondering what harm using the Wii on it will do? Burn-in, etc.

Anybody here experience anything like that? Perhaps read about burn-in dangers?

Also, is it possible to plug the Wii into the front jacks on the TV or set-top cable box? Is there a better way?

I'll watch for your response.

Thanks,
Terry

·
Registered
434 Posts
We have a Wii plugged into our plasma and it works beautifully. The Wii has a 16:9 mode and a screen saver that you can enable (it dims the screen after a few minutes of no play). If you turn on the display's pixel shift and keep the brightness and contrast down you should have no problems. Best results are using component cables.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wii Games for kids on a plasma

Thanks to NeonFire372 and lgplasma for their responses. I feel better already.
I now have an entire day to brave the storm of electronics buying public to top up my gift for a certain someone.

Happy Holidays to all!

Terry

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just hooked Wii to my 50' Panny Plasma. I have yet to get the component cables and I am wondering if the difference would be considerable. I have noticed some ghosting already after turning it off. A little disconcerning really. May have to limit the amount of time I leave it on. I do have the dimming feature turned on but the kids have been playing constantly since they opened it on Saturday. (gift from Grandparents)

For what its worth my kids are 8 (girl) and 6 (boy) they are big fans of the bowling and tennis. We also have "Cars" they don't love it. We also have "Spyro" which seems way over their heads.

Jamie

·
Registered
434 Posts
The ghosting is image retention and will go away after a few minutes of normal viewing. Turn on the pixel shift if your TV has it. Keep the contrast and brightness down below 50% if you can. Component made a big difference on my 42" EDTV. It made the colours really stand out. It also gives you the widescreen option setting and the ability to display in 480p (should the game support that).

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
jamie0194, the first thing to do with a Panny plasma is get it out of vivid mode and change it to cinema mode.

Get component. PQ is better and you can have 16:9 view.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have the panny set up similarly to other setups posted here before...not vivid. It plays 16:9 with the cables out of the box. I will be buying the component. Had component cables already fished through the wall, should have read ahead of time and realized it needed a Wii connection on one end :(

Should I not worry to much about the retention? How much of that before we deal with burn in? I came home one day and my wife had left it on cp24 all day, I freaked, but it went away.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts