Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
Some newer phones have similar issues. Newer Android phones may be locked after a reset until the former account ID is entered. I ran into this recently but, fortunately, still had my account information. I assume it's to deter theft. Meanwhile, don't reset your phone to get around losing your account credentials. It may not work.

The other issue is lack of support by hardware manufacturers. Qualcomm, maker of the chipset used in most Android phones, only supports their hardware for 3 years. That makes support by phone makers beyond 3 years difficult. The best anyone can expect is 3 years operating system support and 4 years security support. With many new smartphones costing over $1000 (and still selling like crazy,) that makes them a poor buy for most people. People who use phones beyond their support date face increased security risks. Apple got around this by developing their own chipset but are limiting support to 5 years.

In phone years, those Blackberry phones are fossils. It's time to recycle them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can't say I'm surprised it's not very useful. How usable is a 10 year old iPhone/iPad, 10 year old Android phone/tablet or even a 10 year old PC or laptop? I was recently given a 10 year old PC and tablet. The only way to make them usable was to install a light version of Linux. Even that was painful to use due to the lack of installable memory and the slow CPUs.
Well just for informational purposes, my PC is 10 years old and runs fast and flawlessly. I did upgrade the video card a couple years ago and installed a SSD last year, it has 12 gb of ram. But the way its running now I see no need to upgrade any time soon.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
The usability of a 10 years old PC depends on a number of factors. The PC I was referring to would only accept 2GB of RAM and had a very slow CPU. Faster CPUs were not available, even used. The laptop would take only 750MB of RAM (part of which was used as video RAM) due to a faulty RAM socket and the mobile CPU was even slower. They would not run Windows 10 (the only consumer version Microsoft supports) and the selection of Linux distros that would install and run was limited. Even with a light Linux distro, they were very slow. I found a couple of people who wanted them with the Linux distro installed so that was a plus.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Without derailing my post, quite often an old PC can be upgraded in a limited capacity, you can add ram, you can change the Video Card, you can change the sound card, you can put a bigger HDD (Hard Disk Drive),you can even change the OS (Operating System) but a tablet such as the Black Berry Play Book or an Apple I Pad, you can not your stuck with it, its practically End Of Life (EOL).

You can donate it to someone in need but are you really doing them a favour? likely not, they will still have problems finding apps, or certain features or apps or what not might not be available in certain countries etc. so its basically as my friend sated, a Digital Cutting Board for your Vegetables.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
Being dependent on Blackberry for an account and the Blackberry network for many services, Blackberry devices are particularly prone to becoming obsolete. It's similar to what would happen to iOS devices if Apple pulled support for iOS upgrades and closed its app store. That's not likely to happen (and I suspect that other people would step in to support iPhones) but Blackberry was the leading wireless smartphone maker for several years. Just a few market missteps made Blackberry a minor player and it will soon be simply a history page entry on Wikipedia.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts