Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the first tablets I picked up was the Blackberry Playbook, about 10 years ago or something, cant remember exactly, but its been a while. I was a hard core die hard Blackberry Cellphone user back in the day, loved push email and service books. but none of these technologies made it to the tablet, and the tablet was kind of a big flop. Without a good resource library of apps, it became useless and it died quickly. I know theres ways of putting the standard Google Android OS on it but it would probably be an old version of Android and probably cant run any of todays modern apps so thats a big flop. I also dont have a Blackberry ID which you NEED to create to even login to the tablet, i deleted mine years ago and have no plans to create a new one, any suggestions? or should i send it off to a E-Recycling facility?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice. i just checked, mine is 16 giga-bytes so i shouldnt expect too much plus i cant find the charger i guess i can throw in any charger but then it becomes someone elses problem right?

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
Just make sure the charger has the same or very close voltage and current as the original. It should also be the same type of charger, current limiting transformer or switching PS. I would sell it without the power supply rather than sell it with one that may damage it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well considering last year princess auto was selling the surplus blackberry playbook chargers for $5 cdn, i can try selling it without one and if the buyer really needs one i can tell him to try and find one form princess auto or elsewhere even amazon

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
I find eBay to be a good source for items like that. They are often OEM replacements or knockoffs but they work. Carefully researching the specs for a generic match can save some money. The connector must also match. Items sold by name brand as replacements are usually marked up more. There are lots of used parts on eBay as well.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My PB still in use as a bedside clock and weather forecaster. It has a charger cradle in which it sits.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The thing is actually built quite well but its the software and the fate of the company who created it which is the problem. blackberry was waay too late in the game to come out with a tablet. Also make it usable without a blackberry ID like androids and ipads are. Oh well. I definately do not like to see good solid electronics go to waste but in this case if I can not find a good use for it or find a family member or relative who could put it to good use for learning or something then i may have to recycle it thru the eco recycling program. oh well was hoping not to come to this but it looks like thats more and more probable

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
From what I remember do not use them for email as the email program lacks security/encryption.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
I still have one, which I haven't powered up in years. At the time of purchase it was incredibly affordable and I used it often as a media device (the micro HDMI connection was great). Likely I'll just recycle it. Doubtful there's been any security or software updates for this product in a very long time.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
Can't say I'm surprised it's not very useful. How usable is a 10 year old iPhone/iPad, 10 year old Android phone/tablet or even a 10 year old PC or laptop? I was recently given a 10 year old PC and tablet. The only way to make them usable was to install a light version of Linux. Even that was painful to use due to the lack of installable memory and the slow CPUs.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah. I will have to wait till the whole Covid Social distancing dies down and is over and then see if I can sell it or even give it to someone in need.

I am a strong believer in giving electronics a second life instead of seeing them end up in the landfill or litter so that means selling them for parts and materials, or finding some kind of good use for them ie: smart device, or even donating it to a child or student in need.

I previously worked in the Wireless Industry and as a result had obtained quite a few dozen handsets and electronics over time. Some people had approached to buy a few off me to use as spare or loaners or backup phones, and the rest of them, I actually shipped them to Africa to give to people over there in need. I do not like Hoarding electronics and had a very good warm feeling after donating them to people in need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts