Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a sony vaio laptop with the integrated sound card, i want to get some nice speakers (to set up in my room, kinda like a surround speakers package is probably what im looking for). and i will probably only use them for watching movies/tv shows and listening to music, not gonna game with them

my budget is around 300$

what would you guys recommend and from where?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
for a small room, logitech makes really very decent sounding speakers

I had a set of z-530 (or somethig like that) that I really liked

the 5500 series has wireless rears, if that floats your boat

they're cheap, but sound really decent

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
If you decide to go with the Logitech (and they make good computer speakers), be sure to wait for them to go onsale. You can often find them on-sale so no reason to pay full price.

Many stores have them out so you can demo them too.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I've always been impressed with Altec Lansing. Whatever you get, be sure to get a subwoofer. I've seen the Altecs with sub as low as $40 in electronic liquidation stores like Tiger Direct.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you guys think i should get good 2.1 speakers or get some decent 5.1 speakers? do a lot of movies and tv shows have 5.1 audio capabilities?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
well, for a smallish room (like a dorm/bedroom) I'd probably just live with 2.1 but it's up to you really

5.1 sounds really nice, but it's not really a necessity

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
You may want to first make sure your laptop has the ports required for a 5.1 setup first.

For a 2.1 setup, they are a bit pricey but I love my Corsair SP2500. Excellent sound quality and a great subwoofer (that isn't nearly as boomy as the Logitechs I've used). I haven't tried the more budget-friendly SP2200, but it's another option you may want to see if you can listen to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry i dont know much with computers, but what jacks would i need? i thought the audio jack was all i needed to plug speakers in :O

oh and your corsairs 2500, im guessing you use them for gaming- but how are they are for watching movies and music?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
if all your have is a headphone jack, then you're basically limited to 2.0 speakers

unless you've got some flavor of digital output, you're not doing 5.1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts