Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi out there,

I've got a question that's sort of retention-related.

I've had a Tahoe for 2 years now and it's been nothing but trouble. Shaw's replaced it with the same model once, but the problems have persisted. Sound dropouts (though I recognize that the cause of that problem is in question still), stuttering HD picture (especially on sports), etc. I've lost all my recordings 7 times (hundreds of hours of stuff) over the two years because the system has crashed and needed to be power cycled or rebooted. I have consistently reported these problems to Shaw and imagine that I have a big fat virtual folder with them.

I am not a case for the retention department, though, because I'm not impressed with what I have seen of the competitors and honestly can't see myself switching. I've dealt with Telus over the years for wireless, for instance, and find Shaw customer service infinitely better. Perhaps it's a case of the-devil-I-know, but I'm just not in the mood to switch to anyone else, and in fact, am pretty likely to go to Shaw wireless when my Telus contract runs out.

In fact, what I am is, effectively, an exceedingly (perhaps stupidly) loyal customer. So the question is: As a loyal customer with a documented history of fairly significant PVR problems, should I expect Shaw to give me a break on a new PVR? Specifically, a break on the purchase price of a new Moto DCX3400. I don't really want free movies or free rental months. Is this unreasonable? Does anyone out there have advice in this matter?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I understand your frustration but I wouldn't hold your breath on a discounted 3400 box. I spoke with a few CSR's about that and was told it couldn't be done and I had to pay the full $400. Then again, I'm sure some folks out there have gotten something. Maybe it depends on who you talk to.

·
Registered
505 Posts
If you bring new business to Shaw, they may give you free PVR rental.

I transfer my landline phone to Shaw in April. I got 2 year free rental on the Pace 770D. The cost of basic cable, internet and digital phone is $80/month for 1 year.

2 weeks ago, I referred my friend to get the same deal as mine.

==================================================
Did you get any service credit when you called to report your problem? This is round about way to get your subsidized DCX3400.

A few years ago, there were a few internet interruptions. I called in to get credit to my internet. But it was a business internet account that I have at home.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, at one point when the recordings were deleted during a reboot a service rep was doing, they did offer me one free movie on demand. Other than that, no service credit, no.

That deal you got when moving your phone service is pretty incredible. I believe I got the phone modem installed for free when I switched my home phone over from Telus.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
verd, I had a 3080 (SD PVR) die on me a few months ago, and I called Shaw and said, "Look, I know people call you and say they're going to switch hoping to get a good deal. I'm happy with my services, I pay over $200/month, but this PVR broke on me. Is there anything you can do for me?" The lady put me on hold and came back to offer me a Whistler for 12 months for free, then the option to buy it at 50% the price when it's done. That box was nothing but hassles (not as bad as yours though), and I've since taken it in and swapped it for a 3400. They don't have a discount code for that, but the rep said he could discount my cable bill to make up for it. Hopefully I can buy that box for 50% off when the 6 months are up.

I like that the Shaw CSRs are willing to think outside the box and find a solution for a customer.

Gord

1 - 5 of 5 Posts