Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have somehow managed to lose the cable that hooks the receiver up to the tv. Is there a generic brand that we can buy at an electronics store? What kind of cable would we be looking for? Hopefully it won't be something we have to buy from Bell, as we've had one that previously worked before and now apparently does not.

Also, we do get some channels (the Tips channel, etc.) when we use a normal cable (basic tv cable). This is so frustrating!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the standalone standard 4100 receiver and the model of the tv doesn't really make a difference since we've tried it on a brand new LG tv, as well as a Toshiba (which is what we're trying to make it work on).

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Any composite cable will work (Yellow, Red and White connectors). You probably have your tv on the wrong input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. Needs to be something similar to a basic cable, but obviously better since those don't seem to be working. It doesn't need the red/white/yellow cable, it needs the cable that connects from the receiver to where a basic cable connection would be on a tv - if that makes any sense, ha! Would a store bought RG6 video cable work?

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
RG6 (RF-coax) would work, however, that's the worst quality connection, with mono sound. If the TV can use a composite (or S-video) input and analogue audio cables, you'd get better video and audio. This assumes that your 4100 has those connections. Of course you'd need to switch the TV to that input - usually called something like Video or AV1. See the following FAQ on Cables & Connections.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085

If you're getting some signal, perhaps you've got a problem with the STB (set top box/receiver).

And the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Nope. Needs to be something similar to a basic cable, ........ Would a store bought RG6 video cable work?

Yup. I just looked at the back of the Dish Network 111 (same as Bell 4100) and it does not have composite or S-Video out, so I steered you wrong.

Any RG6 cable will work. Make sure you have the satellite feed and the cable to the TV in the correct connectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Peano wrote:
Yup. I just looked at the back of the Dish Network 111 (same as Bell 4100) and it does not have composite or S-Video out, so I steered you wrong.
The Dish Network 111 can't be the same as Bell's 4100 as I have S-video plus L and R audio on the 4100 hooked up to one of my TVs!

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
The BTV website and several other websites show the 4100 as having S-video and composite video. I worked on one the other day too.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
we do get some channels (the Tips channel, etc.) when we use a normal cable (basic tv cable)
From that statement, I think you are connected correctly and the receiver is no longer authorized and requires a 'hit' from bell.

if you have an account at Bell dot ca, you should look for how to "Synchronize" your receiver, if not just call them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts