Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During several lengthy discussions with Telus technical during which they hung up on me multiple times for asking questions they could not answer, they stated that 1080 is not supported.
Several technical people stated that 720p is the same as 1080i, which of course is completely false. As we all know, p and i relate to the screen refresh rate not resolution.
They stated that hdmi was not supported, but that 1080i was. As we all know 1080 is only available through an HDMI interface. Does anyone have any experience or insight?
MBBT

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
There are no normal HD channels on Telus Sat (Bell TV) that are above 720p, with the exception of the On Demand Movies, that are downloaded to the PVR in advance, these are or can be 1080p, yes 1080p.

·
Registered
507 Posts
They stated that hdmi was not supported, but that 1080i was. As we all know 1080 is only available through an HDMI interface. Does anyone have any experience or insight?
MBBT
Only that this statement is wrong. Component cables will handle 1080p.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Although that is true, very few devices will output 1080p via Component Video ports and very few displays will "accept" 1080P via CV ports (if any).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Was in a similar conversation with techs from Telus Tv and was told they broadcast in 720p but you can change the set top box to display it in either 720p or 1080i.

Considering switching over from Shaw Direct to Telus for an HD PVR that actually works well and having the option of 1080i is big for me as one of my hdtv's is old and will not display 720p, only 1080i. I do not have Telus TV yet to confirm these statements but hope it's true.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
very few displays will "accept" 1080P via CV ports (if any).
Slightly off topic, but my NEC plasma (and all of its sister models) will accept 1080p over component.

We now return to the discussion at hand........

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
was told they broadcast in 720p but you can change the set top box to display it in either 720p or 1080i.
That is correct.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts