Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the latest on Nimiq 4? I thought it was suppose to be launched in the spring. My searching of this forum and the internet, only mention that. I can't find any news on it being launched or delayed. Does anyone know the latest on this satellite, and when BEV will be using it? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
N4 won't make much difference anyway. All it will do is replace N2 and the junkyard satellite at 82. That will make the service more reliable and allow EV to start using MPEG4 but little else. EV is a long way from deploying MPEG4 due to the large number of 9200s and 6100s still in use. N2 will be freed up but is probably needed at 91 to replace the junkyard sat there. The big difference will be when N5 is deployed, giving EV 16 extra transponders at 72.7. That is scheduled for 2009 but could be pushed back.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
It's quite likely they'll switch to 8PSK once Nimiq 4 is operational, so I would say it will make some difference.

-Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
I believe that N4 will add some capacity. Nimiq 2 lost power to some of its transponders shortly after its deployment. I don't have a setup including 82 at home but I know a few friends a while back were missing a few transponders on 82. Maybe that isn;t the case anymore with the junkyard sat from DTV helping out N2. Does anyone receive all 32 transponders on 82 or are a few still at 0%?

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
8PSK is not supported by 6000s and there are still a few of those in use. I suspect that EV will go straight to MPEG4 + 8PSK when they decide to switch formats. I can see this happening in stages. People who sub to seasonal sports packages may see MPEG4 first. Then possibly people with other other premium services such as TMN, SC and MC. HD on N5 will most likely be MPEG4 from the start. The 'Nets' could stay in MPEG2 for some time if EV wants to avoid the cost of receiver upgrades.

·
Banned
1,051 Posts
BeV will probably run a "double" system (or close to it) for a while: MPEG-4 with 8PSK on one and today's system as a backup for those cases with not working cards and/or receivers until replaced. Somewhere half way during this transition, as the bandwidth advantages of 8PSK will start to show, BeV can switch everything over to the new satellite including whatever old MPEG-2 is left...

But my guess would be this is at least 6 months away.

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
But my guess would be this is at least 6 months away.
I've been hearing that for 2 years now. :D I'm guessing not until after N5 is launched. That was planned for 2009 but I am predicting a launch delay until 2010. That also assumes that the deployment of N4 and N5 are 100% successful. That's not a sure bet. :eek:

·
Banned
1,051 Posts
I'm guessing not until after N5 is launched.
If N4's role is different depending on whether N5's launch is a success - most definitely.
I am predicting a launch delay until 2010.
If this happens and in the meantime no changes are made to MPEG2/QPSK/Nagra2, there could be very few customers left by the time the system is secured...

·
Registered
177 Posts
2010 is still far away... meanwhile, Cope may decide to sell the Expressvu division, and it will be a whole different story.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
BEV currently has 4 satellites, all with less than stellar health. Should one (or more) of the existing sats fail, N5 would become nothing more than a replacement.
I also am willing to be that N5 (as long as it makes it to 72.5) will be 100% MPEG4 from day 1.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Will Nimiq4 be "more centered" on Canada, and less so on the USA? I don't see a business reason to have a footprint that includes much more than Canada (other than re-use by another company later in the bird's life). I'm thinking Bell isn't particularly officially interested in US gray-market accounts, or are they?

1 - 20 of 303 Posts