Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

What is the best Android tablet available in Sept 2011?

• Acer Iconia Tab A100

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Asus Eee Pad Transformer

Votes: 31 51.7%
  • Motorola Xoom

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Sony Tablet S1

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Toshiba Tablet

• Other

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sony came out with the S1 yesterday. Samsung Galaxy 10.1 came to Canada a week or two ago. We have the Asus Eee pad transformer, the Motorola Xoom, Toshiba Tablet and others.

IN reading the reviews, the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 seems to be the quality leader while the Asus Eee pad is the cost leader with everyone else somewhere in between.

What do you think is the best Android Honeycomb tablet AVAILABLE ON THE MARKET TODAY and why?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you vote Other, please tell what you tablet you think is the best and why

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
I believe all the Honeycomb tablets have the same Tegra 2 processor, so performance should be similar if not identical. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is the thinnest, I believe the lightest, and IMO the prettiest. If I could have one Honeycomb tablet, ignoring cost, I'd pick the Tab 10.1, so that's what I voted for.

However, I think the Asus Transformer offers the best value. It's cheaper, and has the added flexibility of the optional keyboard dock. Asus has also been excellent about pushing out updates promptly. If I'm not ignoring cost, I'd pick the Transformer.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Bang on. I voted for the Samsung but the Asus would be tempting and I love the keyboard expansion.

Once Amazon makes an announcement I'll decide between the 3.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
For me it wasn't that close, I gave it to the Transformer.

There is no question that the form factor of the Sammy 10.1 is much nicer, but in the end the missing features are a deal breaker for me. Specifically, the microSD slot is a must have for me, both for storage flexibility and for easy transfer of files. Add in the fact that the Sammy is 25% more expensive than the Asus Transformer, and I had an easy decision. For those that don't use the multi-media player features as much, I could certainly see why they would chose the Samsung though.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
same as everyone else so far I guess

I've played with all of them quite a bit

as pure tablet, the Tab is the best

transformer is the best package though

i still want a 5-7" honeycomb tablet though

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I like the Transformer as well...but the Toshiba was a very close second but in the end the ASUS won because of its versatility with the addition of the keyboard/docking station.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have the Transformer and it is the best bang for the buck for it is light enough and has all the ports I need on the tablet itself. Acer A500 does have more USB build in but I have no use for USB expansion why I am holding the tablet in my hands.

IMO, both Sony and Samsung are much too expensive for what they offer and lack thereof.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Iconia A500

I have a Acer Iconia A500,I really like it. It has 1 small USB, 1 full USB, an HDMI output that work verywell and a SD card slot. screen is also very good. I have voted for this one in other.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Transformer

ASUS TF-101 hands down.
Price, Ports, Screen, keyboard.

i bought the 16GB with dock. Then added 16 GB TF
Love the 16 hours battery when docked.

Straight slate mode with pointing for casual stuff.
Keyboard, like right now for type more han a URL.

When clammed shut with dock, screen is proteced.

The armoured textured back resist fingerprints.

Like getting a tablet and netbook when you buy the bundle.
Also your hand doesn"t get tired holding it when in netbook mode on your lap.

I don't see any contenders in the near future.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Acer Iconia A100

Unlike the Sony S, the 7" Acer is actually in stores with an actual price.

The great price and the perfect size and weight make the A100 a winner.

If the Samsung 7.7 was available, I'd take a second look, but for now, there's only one 7" Honeycomb in town.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, only 27 votes but the clear winner seems to the Asus Transformer with 17 votes followed by the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 at 7 and the rest with 3.

Nobody voted for Sony, Toshiba or Motorola!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Had to show my Xoom some love!

Since getting the 3.1 update my Xoom has been a real joy to use. I love the build quality, the HDMI port and the ability to add a micro SD card. The fact that it's a GED means it doesn't come with all of the bloatware that you get with other Android devices.

Gerry

·
Registered
225 Posts
I really like the Asus TF

I bought mine in July and am pretty impressed with it for an Android device. While it lacks the fit/finish of an iPad and the quality of the apps available is spotty compared to Apples app store it more than makes up for it in the way I can access and transfer files from my home pc w/o using iTunes. The 16 hour battery life (when docked) is also a nice feature.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I voted for the Asus, as I bought the wife one. I have played with it a bit and have found it to be very responsive with a great battery life. One of the big things for me and her, was the keypad / battery accessories. That particular accessory was what was required in my mind to put the Asus above everything else. :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Asus Transformer with the dock. Still learning to navigate Android and everything it brings. Only 1 minor panic after 3 days of casual use and a reboot fixed that. Firmware / Honeycomb 3.21 has really improved the experience from 3.0

·
Registered
173 Posts
Asus tf101 is the best tablet, not just the best Android tablet. Tried most and the others either feel cheap or lack flexibility.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts