1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
365 Posts
Nice article. Thanks for the subscriber and homes passed statistics.

One step further, does anyone think that for example Bell will not sell Bell Satellite TV to homes that are on the Bell Fibe TV network to help boost subscriber numbers for their IPTV service? Similarly, will Shaw not sell is Shaw Direct service if your home is on the Shaw Cable network?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't imagine Bell would be that stupid. Why alienate a customer by forcing them into your IPTV service? Better a satellite customer than no customer at all.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Bell are actually actively installing Bell TV in apartments and Condo buildings where Fibe TV exists, as a 'backup" in case of problems. The word 'backup' was used by a Bell Tech I met in one of these buildings in Toronto a couple of months ago, it is not my wording.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Damn, I like this guys articles.
Gee, I wonder why? ;)

My only issue with IPTV is that the network upgrades that could have easily been used to upgrade their Internet services (including access from third-party ISPs) are being redirected almost entirely to their IPTV services. If the "last mile" was managed by a separate corporation with no ties to other businesses, it would have made for a more competitive environment for a huge array of digital services, and not just Bell owned services.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's not a problem with IPTV, that's a problem you have with Bell.

Remember there are five major providers of IPTV in Canada: Aliant, Bell, MTS TV, Sasktel and Telus. I also know of ThunderBayTel.

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
Bell are actually actively installing Bell TV in apartments and Condo buildings where Fibe TV exists, as a 'backup" in case of problems. The word 'backup' was used by a Bell Tech I met in one of these buildings in Toronto a couple of months ago, it is not my wording.
That makes sense as some apartment buildings and condos don't allow satellite dishes. As well, some people live in apartments that face north or have obstacle(s) blocking the satellite signal so Fibe TV would be a good alternative for them.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I think you totally misunderstood my post.

I said the Bell TV was being installed in buildings with iPTV (Fibe TV), that is already from Bell and working fine. Why waste money with an overlay of 2 Bell Services, if you deal with Bell now, heaven help you in a Building with 2 Bell Services for TV, it will result in more confusion.

Why not use the money for the Stacked System and install it in a building that does NOT have iPTV.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Maybe it's to establish exclusive contracts with the building for both cable and satellite services. This way, no other service can be introduced.

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
I think you totally misunderstood my post.

I said the Bell TV was being installed in buildings with iPTV (Fibe TV), that is already from Bell and working fine. Why waste money with an overlay of 2 Bell Services, if you deal with Bell now, heaven help you in a Building with 2 Bell Services for TV, it will result in more confusion.

Why not use the money for the Stacked System and install it in a building that does NOT have iPTV.
Depending on the amount of units in the appartment building, it might be cheaper to sell IPTV as opposed to satellite TV due to lower installation costs. As you know, Bell TV usually eats the installation cost of a satellite dish which is eventually recovered as the customer is signed up on a contract. I imagine that once a building is wired for IPTV, the installation cost when a customer signs up is almost nil.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
it might be cheaper to sell IPTV as opposed to satellite TV due to lower installation costs.
If BOTH systems are installed in the building, the installation costs are BOTH the same.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My condo in Mississauga had historically had both Rogers Cable Service as well as Bell's "Satellite for Condos" service.

Recently, Bell signed a deal to upgrade their infrastructure in our building on two fronts.

1) Upgrade the existing Satellite system to accommodate HD (which the original system was not capable of delivering).

2) Install the equipment required to deliver FIBE TV in the building. Remember, if you have FIBE TV, you must also subscribe to a higher speed version of Bell's Internet service as well. You can't get FIBE without it. It comes as a bundle.

When our Condo Board asked why Bell would offer both satellite and FIBE TV systems in the building, they responded that for those customers who were just interested in retaining their current satellite service through Bell, they would be able to do so, but for those customers who either wanted to upgrade to FIBE TV from Bell Satellite or alternatively move over from Rogers, they could do so.

So technically, I have three options in my building - Rogers Digital Cable, Bell Satellite and now Bell FIBE TV.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting. Thanks for the insight rookie ;)

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Now that makes a lot more sense than what the Bell Technical Services Tech told me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Pinza,

Not going to guarantee that this is what Bell is offering to all of the buildings where they have been providing their "Satellite TV for Condos" service, but that is what they offered to our building.

They will be setting up a kiosk in our building to demo the FIBE TV product to residents once the IPTV install is complete. Expect it in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I guess that as you already had Nimiq 1, via the Backbone, adding Nimiq 2 was a relatively cheap upgrade.

I know that Bell have 'forgotten' to hold the Kiosks, several times after installing Backbone Systems, as the Kiosks were done by a Sub Contractor, who was never told to set one up. Just 3 or 4 guys from Bell show up with nothing to show people. They are a Communications Co after all and sometimes they forget to communicate.

Enjoy the iPTV Kiosk.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts