Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot get a good explanation of what is happening with the promised 4 HD NFL ST channels. The first week there were 4 channels with 4 games, the next week there were 4 channels but only 3 games, last week there were only 3 channels.
Seems like we are getting shorted one HD channel and no good explanation and certainly no offer of compensation.
Any ideas of how to get Shaw direct to live up to their offering?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
They had to give up one HD channel to add "SportsNet One". The bandwidth is very limited for extra channels now on Shaw Direct and will be until at least late 2012 when they put up the Anik G1 satellite.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not much of an excuse, at least they should give us some type of compensation or an open, up front explanation. I was assured by customer service a short time ago that on Sunday there would be a 4th channel. Why don't I believe it?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
It also affects NHL CI as HDNHL2 does not exist anymore as that would have been the same PPV HD channel used for it as well as the one missing on NFL ST (NFLHD3).

·
Registered
187 Posts
Combine the above with a missing recordings, speaker popping 630 and its really been a frustrating month for me with SD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am surprised that more people don't complain until they at least compensate us. From what I've read that 630 receiver is not one we will try. I don't envy you with those problems.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
ma3rie, there is always something to complain about if you want to.

As for the 530, I hated that it could only record on one tuner, and the fact that it only has a 2.5 day guide and half of that information is blank. The huge plus for it is that the two I had never ever missed a recording.

The 630 will be better in time with some software/firmware updates. It has an excellent detailed gude and dual recording makes life a lot easier. It does really suck with it misses a recording or the recorded show comes up blank though. Hopefully sooner rather than later the issues with it will be resolved. The picture quality is even better on the 630 than the 530 which is something I didn't think was possible. It really makes Bell TV's HD Lite look pretty bad in comparison.

We have more HD sports channels the we ever have had even though we had to give up one for SportsNet One. So there is good and bad in everything...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Call me stubborn, but I just want what I paid for. I don't want Sportsnet One, or most of the other sports channels for that matter. I was sold the NFL package because they promised 4 HD channels and now they are taking one away without any explanation or compensation.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Stubborn:

So if the game you really, really wanted to see was not on one of the 4 NFL ST HD channels, would you want to be compensated too??

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
There will be more channels added before 2012. Shaw Broadcast will be migrating several standard definition channels to 8PSK over the next 18 months. They will also be eliminating the Spokane US feeds once the fiber optic link between Spokane and Calgary is completed. MPEG-4 is also in the pipeline which will also allow more stations to be added.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@MSM: I don't expect to always see the games I want, I just expected to see 4 HD games as they advertised. Not unreasonable to me.

But: I have finally received a correct explanation from them and an admission that there will only be 3 channels. Up to now they were blaming it on the NFL, and kept maintaining that the 4th channel would be there "next Sunday". Now I know and that counts for something. Why can't they just be up front and admit to what so many of you know. It was like pulling teeth to actually get someone at Shaw to admit that they needed the bandwidth for Sportsnet One. Only after searching on the web did I have any idea that they were short of bandwidth. When I started asking the right people the right question, then I got the right answer.
So thanks for listening to my rant.
I did finally get my answer from "Ask Jim" but it took a dozen emails to get it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
SUnday TIcket went out for about ten minutes today. the light was green on my receiver. text was in the upper left hand corner or the screen that said "Signal Lost". games on the other channels (CTV, FOX, CBS, TSN2) were working fine. I don't know the exact time, but it happened at the end of the first quarter of the Lions game

1 - 12 of 12 Posts