Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TB drive linked to my PVR. If I swap this out for a new one ( if it breaks ) what happens to the recordings on the external drive ?

At present it cannot be plugged into my non PVR treceiver in another room as it is linked to the PVR so what happens when/if the PVR breaks ? Have I lost all the recordings or does the installation guy have a special "God" access to transfer the link ?

·
Registered
358 Posts
my best guess is they are gone for good. when the reciever formats the EHD it leaves some critical information on it to know what unit it is authorized to run on. its not like you can plug it into a computer and transfer the files to a new drive. hopefully someone has the answer you are looking for and a more explained response.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I can't say what will happen in every case, but I transferred my 1 TB drive from one 9242 to another, without any problem.

-Mike

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It will either reformat on the third swap (3 strikes rule) or work indefinitely, provided the receivers are on the same account. I've heard that 6131s can be swapped as many times as needed, provided the receivers are on the same account. I've also heard that some other PVRs/receivers still blindly follow the 3 strikes rule. Just make sure the new receiver is activated to your account before it is connected. Another possibility might be to transfer the program files from a disabled drive using Linux. Haven't tried that but it does work with working drives and has worked corrupted drives.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have replaced my 6131 and the recordings on my 1TB drive would not transfer even though both 6131s were still shown on my account.
Before connecting the drive to the new PVR copy all of the files from the drive to your computer. There are two folders. The folder that you need is labelled EHD but back up both folders anyway.
You either have to use Linux or a piece of software called EXT2FSD. EXT2FSD will only run in Windows XP (maybe 2000). It will not work in Vista or Windows 7. It's just a driver that allows Windows to read Linux formatted drives.
Connect your drive to the new 6131 and allow it to be formatted.
Reconnect the drive to your computer and copy all of the files from your saved EHD folder to the EHD folder on the newly formatted drive.
The EHD folder can be very large. It could take an hour to copy to/from your computer to the drive.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I haven't reached that point yet, more of a query. However I did try plugging the drive into my Mac and the drive format was not recognised.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Swapping PVR's

I am on my 4th 9241 in less than 30 days (defective receivers) and have had no problems connecting my EHD to any of them. Each time, the 9241 recognizes the EHD when I connect it and asks if I want to manage my recordings. I can see all my recordings and access any and all of them without problem. I would suggest the three strikes rule does not apply to the 9241 from my experience.

One caveat - I dont connect my EHD until after the 9241 PVR has been activated and synchronized (programming downloaded). Dont know if this makes a difference or not, but this process has worked for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.