Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Kobo reader about 1 week ago and I like the screen display easy on the eyes. I don't like the page turning feature and the interface in general.

I just bought the Sony PRS600 with touchscreen I love the functionality of it but the kobo beats it for screen clarity as the Sony has a lot of glare.

I don't want the Kindle as I like to get books from other vendors.

anyone recommend a reader that has the best of KOBO and functionality of Sony?

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
The Barnes and Noble Nook is probably exactly what you're looking for, but not available in Canada (although I did write about my experience using one in Canada here).

If you can find a Sony PRS-505 (it's been discontinued) it has fantastic readability and very good button placement. It doesn't, however, have built-in dictionary or highlighting/annotations, and only connects via USB.

There are ways to load non-Amazon content on a Kindle (google is your friend), but that involves cracking DRM and depending on your personal value system and how it applies to pending legislation change that isn't for everyone.

I haven't looked into Canadian availability, but the Bookeen Cybook Opus (can be ordered directly from Bookeen) and the Hanlin V5 (sold as the EZReader PocketPro) might be worth a look although I have no personal experience with either.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would recommend the Sony 300 model pocket edition. It has much better readability than the 600 model. The glare on the 600 is due to the touch screen, which the 300 doesn't have. While the 300 has a slightly smaller screen, that can be an advantage in my opinion (more portable).

I've had the 300 for a while now, and I am quite pleased with it. It lacks an integrated dictionary and there is no external memory slot, but the 512 MB of memory on board still allows for hundreds of books. I also like that I can read e-books checked out from the library on it (they expire after 3 weeks automatically).

Plus I noticed right now that most retailers are throwing in the leather cover for free.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a Sont 505 for about a year.
Recently I bought an iPad, and although I was a firm supporter of eInk (aka Sony et al) I mostly read in bed, at night...the iPad is better for reading in the dark as it does not require an external lamp.
I use the Kobo software's night mode (white letters on black background).
For day-time long reading periods (over 2h) I would still recommend eInk.
For short periods (less than 2h) and /or reading in the dark the iPad is a good choice.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just bought the Nook went for a drive to Buffalo today. Seems like a really nice device. The Sony PRS600 has too much glare for me. BTW anyone wanting the Sony PRS 600 it is 179.00 at Circuit City and the Sony PRS300 is 199.00

·
Registered
172 Posts
I, too like to read in bed and other dimly-lit places.

So, backlit LCD screens are an alternative to e-ink readers. I have been reading on my IPAQ Windows Mobile PDAs for years, but I have recently evolved to the Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android.

Before you buy an Ipad as a reader (among its many functions), give a listen to Chippy's nicely-balanced comparison of the two tablets:

http://carrypad.com/2010/05/09/apple-ipad-and-archos-5-android-tablets-video-comparison/

- Jeff

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Just an FYI for those interested in the Nook. Barnes & Noble has just announced a price reduction to $199 (from $259), and introduced a $149 WiFi model with no 3G.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw that this morning. Great timing. I bought mine yesterday for $259.00 with a $50.00 gift card. The $149.00 would probably be sufficient.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just an FYI for those interested in the Nook. Barnes & Noble has just announced a price reduction to $199 (from $259), and introduced a $149 WiFi model with no 3G.
I wanted to read "Lost Fleet : Dauntless" but Barnes and Noble would not sell it to a non-US member unfortunately... so prior to consider this one, I would suggest you look up a few of your favorite book types to see if they would be available for you.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
To be accurate ... you can buy any Barnes & Noble content from Canada and load it on a Nook. You can purchase using a Canadian credit card without difficulty. What you have to do is decide whether you are comfortable bypassing geographic restrictions to make a purchase. That's a personal values decision and if you decide you're comfortable doing so, then remember that google is your friend.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
^^^^
This is one instance where DRM takes away from what we already had. I have often bought books from the U.S., including a couple of ebooks recently. Now, the publishers have taken that away, should they chose.

BTW, I've only bought ebooks from O'Reilly and those books are DRM free.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
It's not really DRM, but geographical restrictions. They also affect Amazon, Sony, and Kobo ... although B&N seems to have the fewest rights to distribute outside the US. Workarounds exist for B&N and Amazon that let you buy US Only content in Canada ... these workarounds do not require cracking digital locks or bypassing DRM in any way.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I have a Kindle2 and an iPad and I generally buy eBooks from Amazon. I find that I now do most of my reading on the iPad since the device is useful for so many other purposes. The Kindle is better for outdoor reading and is slightly easier on the eyes but it doesn't do email, websites, videos, music, etc. so unless you are only looking for a book reading I would recommend the iPad. For newspapers and magazines you are often better off using their websites then their eBook version and the iPad is great for that.

On a side note - it is shocking how many books, including Canadian books, are not available to "Canadians" on Amazon but are available to "Americans" and generally at a chaper price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts