Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what equipment I will need to get fox,cbs,abc,nbc, pbs FTA in HIGH DEFINITION?
I would like a pvr receiver if possible. Also the smallest dish that will work. I live in Newfoundland but in a very windy part.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
For starters, I'd say a c band with dvb s2 receiver. Many of the HD nets seem to like c band frequency more than Ku.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cannot find fox hd anywhere?

I can see abc,nbc and cbs has lots of feeds but do not see any feeds for fox hd. Am I missing them or are there none?

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Fox is owned by rupert murdoch, who's known to be not so FTA friendly.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
figures, same day I said that,a Fox Mux on Galaxy 17 C-band which is normally encrypted, went FTA. Like Fox Sports, Fox news, etc.
probably won't last long, but that's the way it goes. Various feeds normally encrypted may go FTA for whatever reason (maintenance, etc?) from time to time.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I've got to wonder why more OTA and network stations are not FTA. After all, they make their money from selling ads. Isn't that how the "superstations" started? Maybe it's due to FCC reg's but then they would be going after the existing FTA stations. Just call me confused in Canada. :confused:

I would go with C band with DVB S2 receiver as well. Can't recommend a particular model though.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
At a certain china store with extreme low prices, they have DVB-S2 receivers for 75$us. Sku number is 54724. If you don't want to pay high prices to see if you will like FTA or not, that's what I would do.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've been looking at those cheap receivers, wondered about them with the price so low. Cant get mepg 4 with my sonic view 360.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I've got to wonder why more OTA and network stations are not FTA. After all, they make their money from selling ads. Isn't that how the "superstations" started? Maybe it's due to FCC reg's but then they would be going after the existing FTA stations. Just call me confused in Canada. :confused:

I would go with C band with DVB S2 receiver as well. Can't recommend a particular model though.
Network affiliate stations are encrypted to protect the rights of other broadcast stations, and becaues they are uplinked specifically for subscription.
The network feeds are sometimes scrambled for the same reason.

The "Superstations" as they are now, are mostly cable variety stations, or CW affiliates. As they were, I think they started as basicaly what would have been an independant "UHF" station they could sell to other cabe providers.

Nearly none of it has anything directly to do with FCC regulation, except the FCC allowing the situation where stations have exclusive rights to programs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've been looking at those cheap receivers, wondered about them with the price so low. Cant get mepg 4 with my sonic view 360.
Those receivers don't do Mpeg 4 either.
They only do Mpeg 2 DVB-S and DVB-S2. They do not do Mpeg 4 or H.264.
They also do not aoppear to support usuals and they look like they will have an issue with the lower SRs.
That would explain the price

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I have a pair of 1m Dish's, I am hoping they will work for C band. Got to get Scalar Rings and LNBF's and try them out, after this white stuff melts from my lawn.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
At 2 degree spacing, a 10 ft dish is the minimum. There are a couple of powerful satellites that can be received in most parts of Canada with a 6 foot dish. But only because the adjacent satellites are weak or beams are pointed away from Canada.

A bigger dish is also required for DVB-S2 than is required for analog transmissions.

I've got to wonder why more OTA and network stations are not FTA.
Simple - they don't have the geographical programming rights for the total area covered by the beam.

·
Registered
57 Posts
At 2 degree spacing, a 10 ft dish is the minimum. There are a couple of powerful satellites that can be received in most parts of Canada with a 6 foot dish. But only because the adjacent satellites are weak or beams are pointed away from Canada.

A bigger dish is also required for DVB-S2 than is required for analog transmissions.
That is not true. While a 10 foot dish as ideal (bigger is always better with any KU or Cband sats), it is not a minimum. I am located quite far from the hot spots of most Cband sats (Calgary, AB) and I still have success with a 1.2 meter (4 ft) dish, a BSC421 Cband LNB, and a conical scalar ring. While this setup will not get you every channel that you could receive in your area with a 10 ft dish, it works quite well. I have no problem with the GDMX and Virgin Island network feeds on 99w, Fox muxes on 91w, ION mux on 103w, just for a few examples.
This is also with a diseqc switch and about 150 ft of cabling to contribute to the signal quality loss.

S2 and HD feeds are less forgiving then the SD counter parts and require more signal quality, but are not out of reach with a mini bud system.

My advice is to determine the largest possible dish that you are able to purchase and install. Then using the coverage maps from lyngsat and satcodex, plus reported results from individuals in your area with similar setups, determine what you will be able to receive and whether the cost and labour is worth the payout. There are a few very good forums dedicated to the FTA hobby with members who will be more then willing to help.

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
What is the smallest recommended dish for c-band (I only care about hd studio feeds) really.
Being located in Newfoundland, the minimum dish size requirement for you will be higher as the footprint for most satellites tends to start getting weaker in that part of the country. Honestly, if you want all C-band studio feeds with no issues in Newfoundland, I would recommend at least a 10 ft. dish but you might be able to get away with a well tuned 240 cm (7.5 ft.) dish and a low noise LNBF. This is based on the satellite footprint coverage maps from satbeams.com.

If you take a look at http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?position=273 and click on your location on the map, you will see that satbeams shows that the minimum recommended dish size for AMC 3 C band is 250 cm for Newfoundland while the same satellite can be received with a 150 cm dish in the Toronto area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts