Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get hi speed internet through telus but checking there data base my phone number comes up as no service avialable.

So I did some checking using other phone numbers that are with in a kilometer from my house. Homes that are about a kilometer to the North, South and West of me can all get hi speed, its as if they just drew up some line that they won't cross. For example 1/2 a kilometer from my house our road intersects another, on that other road hi speed is available. Now here is the part I do not understand, the home at the intersection of these roads is eligible for hi speed while his neighbor (a 100 feet away) whose address is on my road is not!

I tried calling customer service and got no where, they just kept repeating I am not in the database so can not get hi speed. I asked if I could get a modem to try it, they said yes I could get a modem but I would not be able to activate it because I am not in the database.

So does anybody have any ideas on who to contact ect..?

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Two requirements 1) be served by a CO with DSL service. and 2) be within 15KM of the CO (not sure exactly about this, but there is a distance limit).

I suspect that you are just unlucky and happen to be "homed" on a CO without DSL (are you rural?).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Larry, what is an CO? Yes I am rural, but only 2 KM from city border. Could you explain "homed" a little more.

Thanks again

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
be within 15KM of the CO
Also, the distances are cable distance, not geographic distance. A cable does not necessarily take the shortest route.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, is there a way to find out where these CO's (still don't know what CO stands for) are located?

Also in the example I gave above, why can the home on one street get hi speed while the home next to it (100 ft away) on an ajoining street can not?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Sorry for the lingo. CO = Central Office. It is where your twister pair (the wires) that connect your house to the Telco equipment. It is possible that homes close to each other, may actually be connected to different central offices. Unlikely, but possible. Do you and your neighbours have the same phone exchange (the three digits after the area code) - if not, then you are likely connected to different offices.

I would call TELUS, and ask to speak to a supervisor. If they can't answer, keep asking for a supervisor until you find someone who knows.

Alternatively.. if you don't mind paying for a service call.. complain about your phone service and ask for a technician to be sent out to your home. Once there, he will be able to find out lots of info about your situation. He will know where your twisted pair terminates, and likely have contacts at that office.

Here is an old list of COs in BC. See if you can find one close to your home. The list is outdated but its worth a look.

http://www.hackcanada.com/telco/clli_bc.txt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again Larry, yes the three digits after the area code are all the same.

The list of CO's you gave must be out of date because I am about 15 Km from the closest one on that list, yet my sister gets Telus hi speed and is 10 km futher out in the woods than I am (she also has the same three digits after the area code as I do).

By the way I am in Prince George BC and live 2 KM from the city line. What really bugs me is that Telus is offering every thing in the city including optictv (very hi bandwidth usage) yet do not do anything for close by rural areas. Shaw, Bell, and Rogers are all here also and not one of them are doing anything to improve rural service. So I am stuck paying $65 (was $85 up till last month when my contract expired) for a measly 5GB a month on a Bell turbo stick.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
What really bugs me is that Telus is offering every thing in the city including optictv (very hi bandwidth usage) yet do not do anything for close by rural areas.
Maybe relatively close but it still might cost many thousands of dollars to build the infrastructure to service your home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok if Telus does not want to spend thousands (is that tens, hundreds?) of dollars to service a couple of hundred homes in my area, then they can then keep gouging us for there internet stick at $65 for 5GB or 10GB for a smart hub(plus $15 for every gig over). Yeah now I understand why Telus would not be bothered upgrading there service.

On another note, why are the 3G data plans all different prices? is data not data? is the network used different? for example iPad $30-5GB, stick $65-5GB, hub $60-10GB. This is a bit like going to a gas station and getting charged either a $1 or $2 a liter according to the kind of car you drive.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Why not just get cable internet?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Exactly.

Clearly Telus and your cable provider have determined that its simply not economical to wire your home and your neighbours homes.

If you were being gouged so badly and huge profits were possible, don't you think the cable company would run the lines and steal all of Telus' business?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey this rural living is great, you guy's should try it. ADSL, cable and carbage pick up all stop a KM away. Hell 2 years ago a moose died on my propery and because I was out of the city limits I would have had to pay a few hundred dollars to have it removed, so I just let the bears eat it LOL.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fair enough Hugh but what about the difference in 3G data plan charges. Does it not cost them the same to provide bandwidth for each 3G plan?

·
Registered
13 Posts
there are a lot of factors which would make ADSL not available in your area. But your neighbours that have it would indicate that you may be in luck.
I would track down a field tech in the area and ask him why exactly you cant get it and if there is anything he/she can do to fix it. I work here in Alberta and have gotten rural customers ADSL who would normally wouldnt have gotten it. They approached me in the field and sometimes it as simple as moving their line to a remote thats closer and supports ADSL. If I can get access to the Prince George cable lay out, Ill have a look and see what I can find for you.

·
Registered
241 Posts
DSL is roughly 3 miles from the port, depending on cable gauge. The line has to be drawn somewhere, so there are places where one house will get it and the next will not. It costs at least high 5 digits to add a box to extend it further, and that investment cost would have to be expected to be recouped in a reasonable amount of time. So if it only adds another handful of potential customers, it's not worth it for the company to do so. I can guarantee you that if it eventually becomes profitable to extend service, they will.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts