Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

What do you think of RODO (Rogers on Demand Online)?

• Excellent

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Satisfactory

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Poor

Votes: 29 36.7%
  • Terrible

Votes: 32 40.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 10 12.7%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month ago, Rogers launched RODO (Rogers on Demand Online) with much fanfare. Today the company is touting the fact that 46,000 users have signed up (out of 2.3 million cable customers) and the site has served up 2 million page views.

Interestingly discussions in our Rogers to announce the "Next Big Thing in Television" RODO dropped off very quickly after the service was launched with the final five comments being extremely negative including my favourite "but RODO is a BOMB-O!"

A month later, everyone who is interested should have had a chance to check it out and live with it so please answer our poll and provide some feedback.

NOTE:
As per the rules of the forum, Rogers employees posting on the quality of RODO are required to identify that they work for the company. We want feedback from real users!

·
Registered
138 Posts
The service itself is fine, but it suffers from a lack of content. Hardly a "Canadian Hulu" if the major content providers aren't on-board.

·
Registered
235 Posts
46,000 registrations, but what is their average user usage?

I joined, poked around, left and never went back.... it's horrible.
Yes i count as one of those 46,000 registrations, so how many others did the same?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would imagine that new users would pile in during the first month and then new users would drop off UNLESS it was getting great word of mouth (WOM).

From the feedback on this site from our users, who are likely the ones who have signed up, the WOM would not be great.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Weren't they supposed to be adding new channels on a regular basis? I still see the same handful of channels since the beginning.

I noticed there was Heroes on there. Global carries that show but they don't have that channel. I clicked on the show and it redirects me to Global's video website. That's just terrible.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
When I tried it, I wasn't impressed. Most of what I wanted to watch wasn't available. The quality of what was available was nothing to brag about.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm not a fan of RODO because a) video quality isn't good, b) the interface isn't very appealing to me and c) the content streamed still counts towards your bandwidth cap.

If they would include near-HD quality streams and be exempt from being counted towards the cap, then it'd be a good service imo. I could overlook the ugly interface if they could deliver on those two points.

I didn't include the amount of content because it's still new and it'll take time to expand its library. I'm assuming that they would need to form new agreements with the TV Stations in order to offer the same content as they do on ROD.

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
It gives me access to a limited selection of movies, which is nice if I'm looking for something to watch on my laptop while I'm out, but the TV content is still far too limited. Until they start regularly adding new shows on time I won't regularly use the service.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'll only be interested in this if it offers a plethora of avalable on ROD TV and it also allows support on programs like PlayOn and TVersity which allows you to watch it on your TV. Otherwise I refuse to waste bandwodth on it.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
I tried when it first started and I had trouble playing most videos. It seemed to be more in alpha stage than beta as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've checked it out a couple of times. Kinda a big let down.

Tho, really I shouldn't be surprised... The TV part of ROD on my cable has become awful the past few months.

Ever since Roger's took away the "What's New" section, I've found content has gone downhill.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Tried it for the first few days then never returned. The interface is horrible and often does not allow you to move to a certain spot in the video. So if you dropped the feed for any reason on a movie, you have to start again from the very beginning.

Quality and selection was very poor as well. Haven't been back since. Don't know if that changed, but don't really care either as it's munching on my download cap.

Considering what other companies are doing out there, RODO's effort is bare minimum. Of course, there's no motivation to do anything decent because those other companies aren't available in Canada. Bare minimum of what Rogers do best.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am another of those who tried it and never went back. I took a look again today and the biggest problem I have with it is that they present all the content as available, but then when you select a show to watch, it then tells you that you must subscribe.

It is clear that they know what you are subscribed to so why don't they present only the content you can actually watch. You can waste so much time filtering through the available content only to be frustrated when it tells you that you can't watch it. Do that a few times and you give up and don't return.

You can get better service quality and selection using some of the free TV options out there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
WOW , after reading everyone's issues and hoping that everyone was exaggerating , just got it in Kitchener and WOW , this is horrible !Why do I need the On Demand stuff BEFORE a guide and then need to click twice to get info I want right then . If I want an On Demand, I go to channel 100 or 309 . The games , well , enough of that.

When I click guide, it means that I want to see what is on channels , not stuff that I can watch whenever.

Rogers wastes money on this rather then fix an ancient guide menu? Fix that problem. After seeing this , this may be the last straw and going to Bell

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't know if this forum's community is a good reflection on the entirety of Rogers customers, but it appears that both RODO and Quick Start are world-class duds in most people's opinions here. It's the equivalent of Ford releasing the Edsel and Pinto in the same year. How a company like Rogers thinks they can achieve growth through the promotion of inferior products is beyond me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts