Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,372 Posts
Shaw Cable issued a new policy since that article: https://www.shaw.ca/covid-19

No data caps
Shaw has temporarily lifted data caps from all of our internet plans.

Shaw Go WiFi for all
We’ve opened up Shaw Go WiFi, Canada’s largest WiFi network, to everybody. Shaw will give everyone complimentary and unrestricted access to Shaw Go WiFi network hotspots regardless of whether or not they’re a Shaw customer. (mainly in cities where Shaw Cable provides service, but there are a few in Ontario)

----

Cogeco Connexion Announces Steps to Keep Customers Connected During Coronavirus Outbreak
Press Release issued Friday night.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Data caps lifted.
This morning Bell Canada announced the same through to April 30.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Cogeco announced yesterday via social media that they have made RDI, LCN, CTV News Channel, CP24 and CBC News Network free for everyone until April 17th.

·
Super Moderator
16,372 Posts
I noticed yesterday that other providers are making are making the Canadian news channels available in free preview mode, so you can try tuning to the channels if you're interested. I also confirmed that www.ctvnews.ca and www.cp24.com don't currently require a sign-in to watch live on-line.

Shaw also said that Treehouse TV is available for the kids.

EDIT: I just got a text from Bell with a link to a document which includes:

Are you offering complimentary TV content during this situation?
To help Canadians stay informed on the evolving situation, several news networks are offering free previews. Those include: CBC News, CP24, CTV News, ICI RDI and LCN.

https://www.bell.ca/Covid-19-update

·
Registered
107 Posts
Rogers Covid-19 update.

Just saw this on Rogers website, hope it is ok to copy it here.

Residential services

Waiving data overage fees for home internet usage until May 31, 2020.

All Rogers digital TV and Ignite TVTM customers will automatically have free access to some of our popular channels from March 16 to April 30, including:

Kid Friendly: Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, Disney Jr., Disney XD, La chaine Disney, Family Channel, Family Jr., Nickelodeon, YTV, Treehouse, Teletoon and ABC Spark

Premium: FX

Movies: Hollywood Suite (70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s)

Lifestyle: HGTV, Slice, National Geographic, BBC Earth and Smithsonian

Multicultural: New Tang Dynasty, TV Asia

News: CBC News Network, CP24, CTV News Channel

·
Super Moderator
16,372 Posts
Some providers that had rate increases scheduled are postponing them. I saw messages on Bell MTS and Rogers when I was looking for other things.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Along with " Movies: Hollywood Suite (70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s)", Hollywood Suite On Demand is also in free preview.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Makes a lot of sense to provide free bandwidth consumption with free services but then from what I saw Netflix and Amazon may be downgrading their paying customers to less than HD to preserve capacity. Really?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Shaw Direct sent me a nice email saying they’re just too busy to answer our phone calls or chats, so if you have any changes you wanna make, well good luck, do them on their website - so that’s nice. Why am I under the thinking that when this whole thing resolves itself they’ll never put enough employees back at the phones to deal with the public...

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Makes a lot of sense to provide free bandwidth consumption with free services but then from what I saw Netflix and Amazon may be downgrading their paying customers to less than HD to preserve capacity. Really?
In Europe, at the request of the EU. Haven't heard about any company doing the same in Canada.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Shaw Direct sent me a nice email saying they’re just too busy to answer our phone calls or chats,...
They aren't the only company not answering the phone or chats. I'm running into others. There is a message on Rogers web site saying the call centre is overloaded so log in and use the web site for account management. Oops, it looks like their web site is overloaded (again) and I can't login. Their web site has had issues for years. The only thing that ever worked well with Rogers was calling their CSRs. At least I'm getting the free previews ok.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I can't seem to get anything better than 720p out of Disney+ either, although I can't tell if that's a bandwidth restriction or some issue with my TV not playing nice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts