Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Knives Out - At first glance it appears that wealthy patriarch Harlan Thrombey committed suicide, but as the family's dirty secrets come to light during private detective Benoit Blanc's investigation, it becomes clear to all that something is afoot.

Comments: My wife thought it dragged and wasn't overly-impressed with it, but I very much enjoyed this quirky, slow-but-steady-paced murder-mystery.
totally loved this film. Saw it in a theatre, and I never thought the pace was a problem. Great cast, even though Plumber had a smaller role. Looking forward to the sequel....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just watched 'The Marvelous Mrs Maisel' Season 3 over 3 nights.
I was a bit concerned that Season 3 might not live up to the first 2 but it did for me.
It's been renewed for a 4th season but who knows when that might be, plus I just read that Rachel Brosnahan wants to leave the show and concentrate on Broadway.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Now watching season 2 of Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce on Amazon Prime.
Have to say I am enjoying it a lot and blitzed through season 1 in 3 nights. Glad to see there are 5 seasons.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Finished Girlfriend's Guide to DIvorce which I enjoyed a lot.
Now watching an Aussie show from 2002, Young LIons, a cop show with a bit of difference.
Only one season but 22 episodes, it's great.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Started season 1 of Goliath on Amazon Prime, 2 episodes down and am enjoying it immensely.
Was a great way to be able to forget about the stinking heat for a few hours.
Seems there is a season 4 which will be its last.

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #126 (Edited)
The Meg - A prehistoric Megalodon shark enters heavenly waters off the coast of China. Rescue diver Jonas Taylor will send it back to Hell.

Comments: Big and cheesy and chock full of bad writing and attempts by Jason Statham to emote. Watchable...but barely. Good performance by Shuya Sophia Cai.

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Into the Wild - Having glamourized the notion of living in the wilderness and off the land, a self-absorbed, poetry-spouting pseudo-intellectual abandons society and heads for Alaska.

Comments: A slow-paced movie with an unlikeable protagonist is a hard sell. The first 40 of its 148 minutes was all my wife and I could stand.

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #128 (Edited)
The Invisible Man (2020) - Traumatized and highly-skeptical at first, Cecilia eventually accepts that she has truly escaped her cruel and controlling husband, optics-engineering genius Adrian Griffin...until things around her start to go mysteriously and horribly wrong.

Comments: Notwithstanding a somewhat weak ending, this was (overall) a well-scripted, well-paced and tension-filled suspense flick. Terrific performance by Elisabeth Moss.
__
Sidebar: I have no idea where to post this but this movie was my first experience with AppleTV on a Roku stick plugged into my AVR (Denon AVR-X4000) and I have to say that it was a much better experience than streaming a movie via iTunes on my laptop.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts