Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Marriage Story - For a professional couple with a young child and diverging interests, ending a marriage can be difficult - especially when lawyers get involved - but it doesn't have to be.

Comments: This "slice of life" drama started off a bit awkwardly but got stronger as it progressed. Good story and characters, slow-but-steady pacing and strong performances from the leads. (My respect for Adam Driver continues to grow.)

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
We watched "The Morning Show" on an AppleTV+ trial

Nothing short of brilliant.

The writing, acting and story are all excellent and all hit hard.

Much darker than I imagined when I heard about this show...but I could watch an episode or two everyday...can't wait for season two!

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)
Knives Out - At first glance it appears that wealthy patriarch Harlan Thrombey committed suicide, but as the family's dirty secrets come to light during private detective Benoit Blanc's investigation, it becomes clear to all that something is afoot.

Comments: My wife thought it dragged and wasn't overly-impressed with it, but I very much enjoyed this quirky, slow-but-steady-paced murder-mystery.

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Tron - While attempting to hack into Encom's highly-secure mainframe to find dirt on Ed Dillinger - the executive who stole his lucrative gaming ideas - software engineer Kevin Flynn is de-materialized by its powerful and tyrannical Master Control Program (MCP) and transported into the system to be used in a game and destroyed. But with the help of programs Tron - an independent security program designed to police the MCP - and Yori, Flynn sets out against all odds to neutralize the MCP, liberate the system and return to his world with the evidence against Dillinger.

Comments: Great movie as a kid, not so much 38 years later. The writing is atrocious. That said, the light cycles are still pretty cool, as is some of the (admittedly rudimentary) CGI.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
Hunters (Prime Video.) Based on a true story about Jewish holocaust survivors hunting for WWII Nazis hiding in the US and FBI investigation of the fallout from the conflict between the two groups. Lots of suspense and some graphic violence. Fans of edgy police procedurals will likely enjoy it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Desperate Housewives Season 8, eps 9-12 Amazon Prime.
It's been a long haul but great to sit back and disengage your brain for a few hours.

·
Registered
595 Posts
@eljay, the ZZ Top doc was great but after eliminator they produced some truly regrettable albums so I was kinda glad they didn't try to play up that era.

American Vandal on Netflix, the greatest mockumentary since This is Spinal Tap. It's a carbon copy of Making a Murderer but with a delinquent high schooler accused of vandalism, season one, and bio-terror incidents season 2.

This is laugh out loud funny and skewers the true crime documentary genre to a T.

It was educational as well, I now know what "Twitch", "catfishing", "babyfarting" and a "brownout" are.

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
Zank Frappa said:
@eljay , the ZZ Top doc was great but after eliminator they produced some truly regrettable albums so I was kinda glad they didn't try to play up that era.
I don't disagree that their post-"Eliminator" stuff was forgettable but, IMO, a band bio shouldn't ignore the last ~36 years and 7 albums of their career.

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #115 (Edited)
Fantastic Planet (La Planète sauvage) - Having acquired Draag knowledge and desperate to evade their increasingly-brutal purges, a small group of Oms flee in rockets to Ygam's moon where they inadvertently discover a way to realize peace with the Draag.

Comments: This was a bizarre, simplistic, highly-imaginative (though sometimes unnecessarily over-imaginative) and even interesting animated sci-fi drama that proved to be both an easier watch than I expected (thanks, in some part, to the 71-minute run time) and not as bad as I feared.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The Capture

The Capture: I'm a real fan of British crime/police series. This is one of the better ones on Prime, technologically uptodate, great acting, well written and really suspenseful.....a great premise. As usual its hard to figure out where the story's going. I don't want to give anything away!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The Sopranos. Missed the early series back then so now watching the whole thing on Crave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
After the Desperate Housewives marathon I am now watching Crownies, an Australian series from 2011. Series follows 5 young law graduates.
There was a spinoff from this series that starred Marta Dusseldorp as Janet King. Janet King went for 3 seasons.
I'm liking it a lot.

101 - 120 of 128 Posts