Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Shazam! - In desperation, a dying wizard transfers his powers and purpose to an unlikely successor - troubled foster kid Billy Batson. A mention of the wizard's name now transforms Billy into the mighty Shazam! His first challenge is to understand and harness his new powers. His second challenge is to defeat the combined evil forces of Dr. Sivana and the Seven Deadly Sins. His third - and perhaps greatest - challenge is to accept his new family.

Comments: It had its moments - some of them amusing, some of them more serious - and, overall, was fluffily enjoyable. Better writing and less of Freddy Freeman's smartass sarcasm would have helped make it a much better movie.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Jack Irish

Have just burned through 3 movies and 2 seasons of Jack Irish, made by ABC Australia.
If you like Aussie dramas you might like these.
Based on the novels of Peter Temple.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I subscribed to CraveTV just for Everybody Loves Raymond but with Disney Plus coming o I decided to buy the whole thing on iTunes instead. I own them all now so I occasionally like to watch an episode.

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
@wmjfoley85 FYI Everybody Loves Raymond will be streaming on the Comcast/NBC Peacock streaming service in the U.S. in 2020, although the press release indicates it will be non-exclusive. Regardless, streaming rights are licensed for a fixed number of years and are subject to renewal at the end of the contract, so you can't guarantee a particular program will be on a given streaming service forever.

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum - Elite assassin John Wick has been excommunicated and is on the run after killing a man on the hallowed grounds of the Continental Hotel. Every hit-person in the world is out to kill him...which means that an extraordinary number of people will die before too long.

Comments: As expected, JW3 was a lot more than JW2 and - like JW2 - it was a lot less than JW. The numerous fight scenes were overly-long, repetitive and boring - a violent, graphic and bloody way to turn a thin story into a two-hour movie. I won't be watching JW4.

·
Registered
930 Posts
We've been watching Grimm on Amazon Prime. Just about to start the sixth and final season.

Nothing fantastic, but a stupid fun watch if you don't mind soap opera like twists and turns.

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Toy Story 4 - With a week to spare between her kindergarden orientation day - during which she literally made a new friend named Forky - and the first day of school, Bonnie's parents take her, Forky, Woody and several more toys on an RV road trip. For Woody, the trip turns out to be considerably more challenging - and, ultimately, rewarding - than expected.

Comments: Although this was an entirely unnecessary movie that fell a bit shy of being as good as its precursors, it was well-written and full of both wonderful and amusing moments. The perfectly-creepy Benson dolls were definitely one of the highlights.

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Yesterday - Hit by a bus during a momentary, world-wide blackout, aspiring singer-songwriter Jack Malik wakes up in a world that has never heard of The Beatles. The opportunity for incredible success awaits him...as does Ellie, Jack's long-time friend, whose devotion and unrequited love may not withstand the test of his new-found fame.

Comments: This was a charming and entertaining rom-com with a good story, likeable characters and a fine selection of tunes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Watching ( bingeing) Mcleod's Daughters on Amazon Prime.
Am up to season 7 episode 21, 24 episodes to go and that's it.
Have to say the quality of the video and audio have been superb.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Watching Season 2 of Alta Mar (High Seas) - Mysterious deaths and secrets from the past on a luxury ship travelling from Spain to Brazil in the late 1940's.

Comments: Engaging, fun to watch, but not too serious. It's dubbed which I usually don't like, but it's done really well.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
"Servant" on an AppleTV+ trial.

Comments:
  • Three episodes in and it's very unusual, erie, and original. Highly recommend if you're into that sort of stuff.
  • One might say that the acting is over the top and I'm usually extremely critical but in this case I'm buying into it all and think the casting, acting, and sets are all great.
  • While the first three have been super great, I'm anticipating a huge letdown and disappointment at the end as they're setting up premises for which I don't see an easy way out. I sure hope to be wrong.
  • The final episode won't be out until Jan 17 - even with the anticipated letdown it will IMO be worth one month of ATV+ costs for me to get to the end.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I agree Servant is actually creepy eerie good. I’m trying Apple + on a free year trial and this is the only show I’ve watched so far but I also recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Dolemite Is My Name - Fame and fortune evade part-time stand-up comedian Rudy Ray Moore until he co-opts African-American folk tales and jokes and develops the crude, no-nonsense persona of "Dolemite", which he parlays into a successful string of comedy record albums and series of Blaxploitation films.

Comments: A moderately-amusing, expletive-filled, "based on a true story" bio-pic.

·
Registered
113 Posts
@eljay,

If you like sarah Lancashire and you haven't seen the series as yet, I can highly recommend ' Last Tango in Halifax'.
There are 3 seasons plus a christmas episode.

I've just finished 8 seasons of McLeod's Daughters and am now on Season 1 of Desperate Housewives which is deliciously soapy.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts