Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 123 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
The Kindergarten Teacher - Unsatisfied with the banality of her own life and despairing at the lack of attention paid to his budding poetic genius, kindergarten teacher Lisa Spinelli increasingly and disturbingly obsesses over Jimmy, one of her young students.

Comments: The good: Simple, low-key story; a satisfying sense of creepiness / uneasiness throughout; good performance by young Parker Sevak.
The bad: Not enough story to fill ~96 minutes (as evidenced by some throw-away scenes); some weak writing and characters.
The verdict: It could have been a better movie.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Just finishing season 2 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. It is the best show that I've seen in years, possibly since the early seasons of The West Wing.

·
Premium Member
9,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse: The Super-Collider's trial run - the first step in Kingpin's plan to restore his deceased family to this dimension by pulling them in from a parallel universe - inadvertently pulls in Spideys from a number of other dimensions. The next run threatens to collapse and obliterate the multi-verse. Miles Morales - a "Spider-Man in training" in this dimension - must quickly come to terms with his new-found powers and responsibilities in order to help his Spidey-friends get back to their homes and to destroy the Super-Collider before it destroys all of them.

Comments: This was a highly-imaginative, well-written, visually-impressive, completely-engrossing and thoroughly-enjoyable take on the Spider-Man franchise.

·
Premium Member
9,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Bird Box - Five years after the entity has caused most of humanity to destroy itself, Malorie must take Girl and Boy on a desperate and dangerous boat-ride to a sanctuary that may be their only hope for survival.

Comments: The movie was okay, but it could have been improved significantly with:
- a better explanation of the entity (actually, any explanation at all would've been nice);
- less John Malkovich;
- a shorter run-time;
- less improbability; and
- a more-satisfying ending.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Just started watching The Expanse on Amazon Prime. First episode was mostly world building and setting up characters, but it was well done and kept me awake.

Had previously tried the first couple of episodes of Murdoch Mysteries. Felt like CSI 1895. Didn't pass the snooze test. Both my wife and I missed the ending of the first episode and didn't care enough to replay the last few minutes. I stayed awake through the second episode but my wife didn't.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Finished all three seasons of The Expanse on Amazon Prime. I really enjoyed it. The last season reminded me a bit of 2001, but with more happening.

Now watching the latest season of Designated Survivor on Netflix. It is a Netflix show now, which means that my grandmother would not approve of the language.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I’ve been watching Dark Shadows the original gothic soap from the 60’s on Prime video and it has totally sucked me in. I’m almost tempted to buy the complete series on DVD if only the price would come down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
930 Posts
Recently finished series 6 and 7 of Death in Paradise on Prime. Fun little show, but very by the numbers. I have to admit that I fell asleep during more than one episode. I do enjoy Danny John Jules.

Started Bosch on Prime. I'm very impressed, and not falling asleep for this one.

·
Premium Member
9,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Jaws - As the quiet beach town of Amity Island gears up for its annual influx of tourists, a great white shark settles into the neighbourhood and starts wreaking bloody havoc.

Comments: Despite showing its age, this remains a well-made and entertaining suspense flick with a favourite classic scene (and line) that packs as much punch as ever.

·
Premium Member
9,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Alita: Battle Angel -
I found her in the dump under Zalem town
Such a lovely girl from her chest to crown but no feet-a
N-o n-o feet-a

I took her back home and I made her my kid
She asked for a name and my paternal voice said "Alita"
Ali-ta, Ali-ta, A-A-A-Ali-ta

Well, I'm just a post-apocalyptical guy
Who thought that fatherhood was worth another try
Oh, Ali-ta, A-A-A-Ali-ta

Well, I'm not dumb and that's why I'm afraid
Of her nano-tech body that's U-R-M made
Oh, Ali-ta, A-A-A-Ali-ta, A-A-A-Ali-ta

Well, she kicked some ass and fell in love
Then word came down from up above
She picked a fight with head of Zalem's lot
He said, "Little girl, let me see what you got."

Well I'm not the world's optimistic-est guy
But when I looked in her eyes
Well, I almost felt for poor Nova
No-no-no-no No-va, No-no-no-no No-va
No-va, No-no-no-no No-va, No-no-no-no No-va

He made her so sad
She killed all his men
Then tried out again
Motorball she would win
Then he looked at her and she at him

Well, that's the way that it ended today
But a sequel means it won't stay that way
Oh, Ali-ta, A-A-A-Ali-ta

Cy will be borgs and borgs will be cy
It's so mixed up, muddled up, makes me cry
But not Ali-ta, A-A-A-Ali-ta

Well, I don't know what is next for me
'cause I've always been just what I wanted to be
Alita smiled, slapped me on the back
She said, "Daddy dear, let me make you a snack"

Well, I'm not the world's most fatherly dad
But I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a dad
To my Ali-ta, A-A-A-Ali-ta, A-A-A-Ali-ta
Alita, A-A-A-Ali-ta, A-A-A-Ali-ta
Alita, A-A-A-Ali-ta, A-A-A-Ali-ta

(with apologies to The Kinks)

Comments: Terrific CGI, mediocre story, cringe-worthy dialogue and characters.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
We're on S3 of Bosch. Very good. Before that we watched Another Life. Don't bother.

There is a Russian version of Humans called "Better than Us" (actual title is actually "Better than Human"). Only watched one episode so far. Surprisingly high quality.

61 - 80 of 123 Posts