Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
661 - 680 of 684 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Stranger Things (Netflix)

My wife and I just finished SE04 and, well, meh.

It was great to see Eleven finally get her powers back and kick some @ss, and there were some nice scenes in the final segment of the last episode. Aside from that, there was just WAY too much tedium-inducing filler (storylines, characters and logorrhea).

SE04 might've been better than SE03, but it fell short of the first two which, IMO, should have been left to stand as a most-excellent duology. :)

We're gonna pass on any future seasons as they will likely be (much) more of the same.

-- Edit --
It's now my understanding that SE05 will be the final season. I'm not saying that I will watch it...but I suppose I shouldn't rule it out just yet. :p
I think you just saved me from 3 seasons of it, I've only seen the first season and that was when it first came out.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am watching The Undeclared War on Peacock, and am rather enjoying it.
If you’re into alternative perspectives, Like Apple’s For All Mankind, chances are you’ll like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #664 · (Edited)
The Gray Man (Netflix)

Synopsis: Covert CIA operative "Sierra Six" comes into possession of some very damning evidence against senior official Denny Carmichael and immediately finds himself targeted for elimination by Carmichael's sociopathic henchman, Lloyd Hansen. Many people will die and many things will be destroyed before this situation gets sorted out.

Comments: This was a pretty generic covert-ops-action-drama-thriller, complete with numerous international locales and over-the-top chase and fight sequences...but I kinda enjoyed it thanks primarily to its not-so-serious tone, some of the action sequences, its good main cast and Chris Evans' deliberately hammy performance. :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Started Season 2 of Australian series Bump on CBC Gem Premium
Really enjoying it.
An Australian comedy-drama series about Olympia "Oly" Chalmers-Davis, an overachieving 17-year-old student who knows exactly where she's going. Oly and her best friend Reema share an ambitious 10-year plan: top grades, international relations at a university, work for the U.N. and save the world. But an unplanned pregnancy changes everything. Blindsided and in deep shock, Oly rejects the baby entirely. If she doesn't acknowledge the baby, then she doesn't have to acknowledge how her life has irrevocably changed, or that the baby's father is not her boyfriend's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
TENET - Armed with only one word, Tenet, and fighting for the survival of the entire world, a Protagonist journeys through a twilight world of international espionage on a mission that will unfold in something beyond real time.

A story people will try to explain to others, probably badly, who will in turn head to the multiplex to form their own opinion. If the mission was to create a discussion, then Tenet is a huge success.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Undrafted on Prime. I started to watch thinking like most Prime and Netflix movies it had a 20 to 30% Chance that I would stop watching within the first 1/2 hour. I was surprised it was fun and had some pretty good acting and direction. The plot revolved around one 7 inning game not a lot to work with but like I said it was fun not Bull Durham but still very entertaining. Maybe not for kids lots of swearing and of course spitting.

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #668 · (Edited)
Kingdom (킹덤) (Netflix)

From IMDb.com:
While strange rumors about their ill King grip a kingdom, the crown prince becomes their only hope against a mysterious plague overtaking the land.
My wife and I aren't really into either period dramas or zombies, but here we are part way through SE02* of this Korean zombie period drama and we're thoroughly enjoying it. :)(y)

It's got a good story, brisk pacing, great visuals and a good cast of main characters (including Kim Sang-Ho and Bae Doona, whose performances we've enjoyed in other Korean shows we've watched on Netflix).

(*There are currently two seasons of six episodes each, all with reasonable, sub-60-minutes run times.)

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #670 · (Edited)
Prey (Disney+)

Synopsis: Naru, a young Comanche woman, aspires to be a great hunter and the pride of her tribe. Her ambition and skill are put to the test when she finds herself in a life-or-death battle with a creature more fierce and powerful than any she - or anyone else - has ever encountered.

Comments: I was prepared to be disappointed by this movie, but it turned out to be alright. It had a mix of strong and weak moments, some great visuals and a nice doggy. 🐶

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just finished final episodes of Season 3 Diggstown, what a great show.
CBC Gem premium without ads was a real pleasure.
Huge cliffhanger at the end.
Just hope I can see season 4 from Australia.

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #672 · (Edited)
Predator (Disney+)

Synopsis: A team of American ex-military mercenaries heads into the Central American jungle to do a job, only to find themselves in a life-or-death battle with a creature more fierce and powerful than any of them has ever encountered.

Comments: I remember a much-younger me enjoying this movie in 1987. When I watched it again in 2005, I thought it was pretty dismal. Seventeen years later and it's only marginally better. It's horribly dated, with bad writing, cardboard characters, mediocre acting (at best) and a grating score. 2022's "Prey" - which I watched yesterday - is a markedly better movie.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just finished final episodes of Season 3 Diggstown, what a great show.
CBC Gem premium without ads was a real pleasure.
Huge cliffhanger at the end.
Just hope I can see season 4 from Australia.
Tried to watch Diggstown on GEM last night but all I was offered was the trailer. I have GEM premium so I can't figure out what's wrong.

·
Registered
212 Posts
False alarm. I figured it out. The problem was between the remote and the sofa.

The trailer was labelled but the regular episodes were not. Since the trailer is the first option, it was the only option that had a play icon.

Since the episodes each have names of people, I mistakenly took them for cast members. When I highlight them I can play the episode.

·
Registered
439 Posts
False alarm. I figured it out. The problem was between the remote and the sofa.

The trailer was labelled but the regular episodes were not. Since the trailer is the first option, it was the only option that had a play icon.

Since the episodes each have names of people, I mistakenly took them for cast members. When I highlight them I can play the episode.
I'd be interested in hearing your opinion of the show.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I find it's comparable to the Canadian version of the Coroner and Burden of Truth. It has a Canadian flavour. Halifax and Dartmouth are gorgeous. I like it but I like other shows more. At the moment, we're about to start Season 3 of the Indian Doctor on Acorn TV.

661 - 680 of 684 Posts