Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
641 - 660 of 684 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #641 · (Edited)
The Platform (Netflix)

Synopsis: VSC is a vertical prison whose inmates - two per floor - dine on whatever food is on the platform that descends through each floor every day. Those at the top of the prison gorge while those toward the bottom starve. In desperation a pair of inmates team up to ride the platform to the bottom of the prison - distributing food equitably at each floor along the way - and then back to its point of origin in order to deliver to the Administration a message: The system is broken and cruel and must be changed.

Comments: This gory allegorical film (seemingly) about the horrors wrought by capitalism and consumerism started off strong and had some interesting characters in it, but it became a bit of a slog as the relatively-thin story's run-time stretched past the 60-minute mark.

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #642 · (Edited)
The Burning Sea (Amazon Prime)

Synopsis: The sudden collapse of a Norwegian oil platform portends great danger for the other rigs in the North Sea field and an even greater economic and ecological cataclysm. This leaves robotics-expert Sofia and her colleague, Arthur, very little time to rescue Sofia's stranded, roughneck boyfriend, Stian.

Comments: This was a modest but reasonably-enjoyable action-drama that included some cool scenes of CGI marine-disaster pr0n.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Love Me with Hugo Weaving and Bojana Novakovic among others. 6X 45minute episodes.
How different generations of the family deal with things like love, sadness, passion, and relationships.
Not sure but think it might be an Australian remake of a Swedish mini series.
I loved it and was happy to discover that there will be a season 2.

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
Jerry and Marge Go Large (Paramount+.) Featuring Bryan Cranston, Annette Bening and Rainn Wilson. This feel good movie based on a true story entertains. Just don't try it at home.

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #648 · (Edited)
Cleaner (Netflix)

Synopsis: Ex-cop Tom Cutler's job as a professional post-mortem cleaner takes a turn for the dramatic when he inadvertently cleans up what turns out to be an unreported-crime scene and, as a result, becomes a suspect in the murder of a high-profile witness in a police corruption scandal.

Comments: Despite the clichés and a final act that was a bit melodramatic, this was a decent, easy-to-watch mystery-thriller.

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #652 · (Edited)
Misty (미스티) (Netflix)
Just finished the last episode. Overall, the series was enjoyable: Good storylines, some solid characters and, toward the end, a couple of good twists and a surprisingly tragic ending. The series would have been and felt much better had the pacing been tightened up a bit - say, 45-minute-long episodes instead of 1-hour-plus - and had there been slightly less cheese in some of the writing.

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #653 · (Edited)
Forgotten (Netflix)

Synopsis: Three weeks after being kidnapped, Yoo-seok is returned to his family. But something about him and his behaviour doesn't seem right to his younger brother, Jin-seok. The truth - when it eventually arrives - will be more shocking and disturbing than Jin-seok could ever have imagined.

Comments: A good and well-paced story, decent acting, some cool twists and a few jump scares (for extra fun) add up to a very enjoyable Korean psychological thriller. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
Lost in Space on Netflix.
"Danger, Will Robinson!" The rest of the Robinson clan should be on the lookout for danger, as well, because they are facing challenging times. It's 30 years in the future and the family has been chosen to start a new life in a space colony. On the way to what they believe will be a better world, the Robinsons' ship is abruptly thrown off course and they are thrown into a dangerous alien environment.
I started this when it first came out and for reasons I can't recall, stopped watching it after 2 or 3 episodes. Second time around we are enjoying it. The sets are top notch. I assume these are not CGI. For example exterior and interior of the Jupiters and chariots. Dr. Smith, Penny and Don are delivering the best lines but Will takes some getting used to. John is getting surprisingly good. And here's to you, Mrs. Robinson!

What I realized it that the writers have paid homages to just about every other famous scifi movie out there. The trash compactor scene is a perfect example. The Jupiter an homage to Star Trek etc.

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #656 · (Edited)
Good Luck To You, Leo Grande (Amazon Prime)

Synopsis: The long-repressed widow Nancy Stokes hires sex worker Leo Grande in a last-ditch effort to experience sexual fulfilment.

Comments: This was a well-written, refreshingly-different and unexpectedly-good sex comedy / drama, propelled by terrific dialogue and wonderful performances by the leads (including a bold and praiseworthy one by Emma Thompson).

·
Registered
439 Posts
Good Luck To You, Leo Grande (Amazon Prime)

Synopsis: The long-repressed widow Nancy Stokes hires sex worker Leo Grande in a last-ditch effort to experience sexual fulfilment.

Comments: This was a well-written, refreshingly-different and unexpectedly-good sex comedy / drama, propelled by terrific dialogue and wonderful performances by the leads (including a bold and praiseworthy one by Emma Thompson).
Couldn't agree more, I found it an absolute delight from start to finish.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just started watching season 4 of Virgin River on Netflix. Not really sure why as I don't even like it all that much. :rolleyes:
The main female character is really starting to annoy me with the way she is saying awwwww so often.
I keep waiting for the next one .:(

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #659 ·
Synchronic (Netflix) (n)

Synopsis: The synthetic drug Synchronic is far more powerful and dangerous than its creator intended it to be.

Comments: We spent almost 45 minutes trying to enjoy this drab and artsy sci-fi/crime/drama - complete with a "low-budget 1970s movie" vibe and score - before finally giving up.

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #660 · (Edited)
Stranger Things (Netflix)

My wife and I just finished SE04 and, well, meh.

It was great to see Eleven finally get her powers back and kick some @ss, and there were some nice scenes in the final segment of the last episode. Aside from that, there was just WAY too much tedium-inducing filler (storylines, characters and logorrhea).

SE04 might've been better than SE03, but it fell short of the first two which, IMO, should have been left to stand as a most-excellent duology. :)

We're gonna pass on any future seasons as they will likely be (much) more of the same.

-- Edit --
It's now my understanding that SE05 will be the final season. I'm not saying that I will watch it...but I suppose I shouldn't rule it out just yet. :p

641 - 660 of 684 Posts