Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
621 - 640 of 641 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #621 ·
Emergency (Amazon Prime) (n)

Synopsis: Sean and Kunle's plan to make campus history by being the first black men to complete the "Legendary Tour" of frat parties is derailed when they find a young white girl passed out in their off-campus digs and - along with their friend and roommate, Carlos - undertake an epic journey to get her safely to the hospital.

Comments: The more-dramatic moments (and related messaging) in this dramatic-comedy / comedic-drama were pretty good. But they were few and far between and the rest of the movie didn't measure up. Pity.

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Disney+). Lot's of (light) sabre rattling (buzzing) on yet another Star Wars universe spinoff. Fans of The Mandalorian and Boba Fett will likely enjoy this galactic adventure.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #624 · (Edited)
My Name (Netflix)

This was a pretty decent, 8-episode Korean drama about "a woman who joins a gang to avenge her father's death then goes undercover as a cop." [Wiki]

It had a good story, strong main characters and steady pacing. The last couple of episodes built up some nice tension and the show wrapped up with a solid ending. (y)

Dunno if there are plans for a second season, but we'll watch it if there is one.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #625 ·
Spiderhead (Netflix)

Synopsis: A small group of inmates transferred to the remote Spiderhead Correctional Facility enjoy relaxed living conditions in exchange for their voluntary participation in trials of a group of experimental psychotropic drugs. All goes well until a tragic incident causes one inmate to question the nature of the project and the motives of its sociopathic administrator.

Comments: This was an interesting, quirky and slick little sci-fi/drama until about the last ten minutes, when it fizzled. It's a shame the writers weren't able to think up a more-satisfying ending.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #626 ·
Borgen - Power & Glory (Netflix)

My wife and I are a couple of episodes into SE04 of Borgen (a.k.a., Borgen - Power & Glory). The show feels like an old friend. :) It's great to see some of the main characters again and the writing - which currently has several story lines on the go - is as good as it was in previous seasons. Looking forward to the remaining episodes.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #627 ·
The Lincoln Lawyer (Netflix)

Synopsis: Mickey Haller is a slick, amiable and capable criminal defence attorney who's never taken on a case he couldn't handle. When he is approached by a wealthy matriarch to help her playboy son, Louis Roulet, beat a violent assault charge, Haller quickly accepts what appears to be a very straightforward and very lucrative case. He soon discovers that his confidence may have been premature: Roulet's recent brush with the law reveals a dark and disturbing past, and he will stop at nothing to keep it hidden. Haller is good...but is he good enough to defend Roulet, expose his past and keep himself alive?

Comments: This was a decent and well-paced crime drama, with a good story and a solid performance by Matthew McConaughey. I enjoyed it very much when I first watched it years ago, and I enjoyed it very much again tonight. :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
The Lincoln Lawyer (Netflix)

Comments: This was a decent and well-paced crime drama, with a good story and a solid performance by Matthew McConaughey. I enjoyed it very much when I first watched it years ago, and I enjoyed it very much again tonight. :)
Good to know, I find it difficult to watch Matthew McConaughey he mumbles and I am sure I miss half of what he's saying.

·
Super Moderator
57,106 Posts
We turn on the CC if we have difficulty making out dialogue, which happens more lately with mumbly actors, loud soundtracks, accents like Irish, Scottish, "English" and Aussie, and of course our old age starting to affect hearing... ;)

·
Registered
417 Posts
We turn on the CC if we have difficulty making out dialogue, which happens more lately with mumbly actors, loud soundtracks, accents like Irish, Scottish, "English" and Aussie, and of course our old age starting to affect hearing... ;)
Hah, I have no problem with Aussie accents having lived my first 50 years in Australia.
I'm pretty good with most accents but actors who mumble are another story. I don't understand why directors let them do it.
I don't mind watching things with subtitles but CC really bothers me.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #634 · (Edited)
Borgen - Power & Glory (Netflix)

My wife and I are a couple of episodes into SE04 of Borgen (a.k.a., Borgen - Power & Glory). The show feels like an old friend. :) It's great to see some of the main characters again and the writing - which currently has several story lines on the go - is as good as it was in previous seasons. Looking forward to the remaining episodes.
All done and, overall, it was pretty good. As in previous seasons, the writing - situations, dialogue and characters - had its share of strong(er) and weak(er) moments. A couple of seemingly-significant sub-plots were unfortunately given short shrift, but the final episode had some nice scenes and touching moments and, of course, the ending was left wide open for another season. Which we'd gladly watch, should one materialize. :)

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #635 ·
The Man From Toronto (Netflix) (n)

Synopsis: Due to another one of his screw-ups, bumbling and mild-mannered Teddy is mistaken for "The Man from Toronto" - a deadly hit-man with a reputation for ruthless interrogations - by the Venezuelan terrorist group that has hired him. To make a bad situation worse, the FBI insists that Teddy play along in order to help them thwart the group's plot and to capture the real Man From Toronto. Can Teddy do all this and not screw up the special plans he made for his wife's birthday? Dream hard, punch harder!

Comments: With better writing and a different lead, this could have been an interesting and enjoyable dark-comedy / action flick. Instead it was a clumsy, grating and tiresome dark-comedy / action flick that choked on Kevin Hart's excessive, incessant and mostly-unfunny chatter.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #636 · (Edited)
Black Dog (n)
In a temporary position at a private high school, a compassionate teacher fights to support her students' dreams while navigating school politics.
It was a bad sign that each of the sixteen episodes in SE01 of this Korean drama is well over an hour long. About 30 minutes into the first episode, the slow-paced story got bogged down in a discussion on teaching protocols. So we bailed.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Finally finished all 6 seasons of Private Practice on Disney+.
What a slog it's been but it's been easier to just keep watching than looking for something else.
Actually, during a pretty stressful period it has been good to be able to watch something you could just veg out with.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #638 · (Edited)
Misty (미스티) (Netflix)

From IMDb.com:
" ... centering around a headstrong anchorwoman who becomes the suspect in a murder case. Her estranged husband, who's a lawyer, decides to defend her and hence starts their journey to fall back in love."
My wife and I are four episodes into this Korean romance-drama. So far, so good. (y)

It's visually pleasing - both in terms of cinematography and stunning lead actress Kim Nam-joo :love: - and propelled by some good writing and acting.

The biggest downside is the pacing: What promises ultimately to be a 2-hour-movie's worth of story is stretched out to 16 episodes each (well) over an hour long. o_O Sitting through all that padding can be challenging at times.

Hopefully the show's strengths will continue to outweigh its biggest weakness. :)

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #639 ·
Antiviral (Netflix)

Synopsis: To what lengths would you be willing to go to feel more connected to your favourite celebrities in sickness and in health? And to what lengths will the unscrupulous go to fulfill your desires?

Comments: Although it had an interesting premise and some strong moments in it, this stark sci-fi horror-drama dragged on too long for its own good. The eclectic soundtrack's clips of retro-sounding droning didn't help. Good performance by Caleb Landry Jones.

621 - 640 of 641 Posts