Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
601 - 620 of 641 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Operation Mincemeat on Netflix
A WW2 spy/espionage movie about the assault on Sicily. Its a great movie, well acted with lots of name British actors. Suspenseful !!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good, thanks for the info, I didn't think to lok at Wiki.
Does anyone know if the streaming rights for 'The Old Man' in Canada will be Disney +?
It was announced by Rogers Media to air on FX Canada last year, but production was delayed, so it is likely to air on FX beginning on June 16. I am not sure if that will delay the streaming date on Disney+.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It was announced by Rogers Media to air on FX Canada last year, but production was delayed, so it is likely to air on FX beginning on June 16. I am not sure if that will delay the streaming date on Disney+.
The highly-anticipated Jeff Bridges-led drama “The Old Man” will premiere on FX June 16, the network announced Thursday.

That was back on April 21.
No way I could watch it on FX, I think they have more commercial breaks than any other channel I have ever watched.
Seems first two episodes will air back to back and then a new episode every Thursday night.
I can wait until it goes to streaming and watch uninterrupted.
:)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it will stream on Disney+. I have no experience with FX Now, since my cable company hasn’t reached an agreement to allow streaming of their programming, but from what I hear others say, it sounds like a dreadful service. We do have the FX linear channel, but I wouldn’t watch it on that channel because of the ads.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Grrrrrr, I thought there were only 8 episodes in Bosch Legacy so watched them all over the weekend only to realize there are actually 10 episodes.
I outsmarted myself !
Should have waited an extra week.:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
575 Posts
Grrrrrr, I thought there were only 8 episodes in Bosch Legacy so watched them all over the weekend only to realize there are actually 10 episodes.
I outsmarted myself !
Should have waited an extra week.:rolleyes:
Yep, I hate waiting for a finale. It's much more satisfying when you can binge the last 3-4 episodes.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #613 ·
A Simple Favor (Netflix)

Synopsis: A meek, small-town vlogger turns detective when the captivating and mysterious woman she recently befriended goes missing.

Comments: This was a well-paced, light-hearted and entertaining murder mystery-drama. The Aviation American Gin product placement was a nice touch.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #615 · (Edited)
The Hunt (Netflix)

Synopsis: A group of "deplorables" awaken to find themselves on the wrong end of a human hunt by a group of "elites". Expectations are quickly and repeatedly subverted.

Comments: This quirky dark-comedy-horror-thriller cried "Havoc!" and let slip the pigs of satirical social commentary...with mediocre results.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #616 · (Edited)
Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Disney+)

Synopsis: Hard times prompt American writer and author Lee Israel to put her talents to work forging literary memorabilia. She and Jack Hock - a flamboyant, down-on-his-luck acquaintance and accomplice - share the thrill, the danger and the payoff...while it lasts.

Comments: Melissa McCarthy - who continues to demonstrate that she is as adept at drama as she is at comedy - turns in a wonderful performance in this minimalist, tragicomic and surprisingly enjoyable "based on a true story" biopic.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #617 · (Edited)
Money Heist (Netflix)

SE01 (comprising 22 episodes in two Parts) started off okay but quickly got silly because the show was much more interested in being a soap opera than it was in being a true heist drama. So my wife and I mentally switched gears...but that didn't help as the writing (incl. characters and goings-on) got progressively sillier.

The strongest and most-interesting characters throughout were Berlin, Nairobi and Helsinki, although I was disappointed with how the writers crapped on Berlin toward the end. The Professor proved surprisingly inept for a supposedly brilliant and focused mastermind, and it's only thanks to sheer luck that the heist was ultimately successful. The biggest disservice, however, was done to Raquel, who was horribly dumbed down from strong, capable police inspector in charge of operations to confused and conflicted woman in love.

I'm not sure if we'll give SE02 a shot, but we're definitely going to take a break from this show for the time being.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I thoroughly enjoyed “Prehistoric Planet”, narrated by David Attenborough, now streaming on Apple TV+. It’s quite remarkable how realistic they make the dinosaurs appear in this series. Sadly, there’s only 5 episodes in the series, but I am hoping for more.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #619 · (Edited)
LOVE DEATH + R⬤BOTS (Netflix)

My wife and I enjoyed the first two Volumes (i.e., Seasons) of this show. We just finished watching Volume III. It was quite the mix of shorts, some better than others, most of them highly imaginative (and violent and bloody). Our favourites were the amusing and entertaining "Night of the Mini Dead" and the mesmerizing "Jibaro".

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #620 · (Edited)
Blacklight (Netflix) (n)

Synopsis: Before he can retire and spend time with his daughter and granddaughter, Travis Block - a loyal FBI fixer with a very particular set of skills - is ordered to do one last job and bring in a rogue agent. His loyalty wavers when he discovers that the agent was set to expose a murderous FBI operation. Will Block do as he's told or will he risk everything - including a future with his family - in order to do the right thing?

Comments: I watched roughly half of this horribly trite and utterly generic action-drama ("Ice Road" minus the ice) before I gave up and skipped my way through the rest of it.

601 - 620 of 641 Posts