Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
581 - 600 of 600 Posts

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
The Batman (Crave.) I found it to be too dark, violent and depressing. There must be a storyline in there somewhere but it was lost in the special effects and extended running time. Action movie fans will like it though.

Mediocre video and sound quality on Crave made it worse. With a movie of this calibre, the video should have popped and the audio enveloped. It did neither. The video looked like standard HD and the audio sounded like stereo compared to similar programs on other services.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The Batman (Crave.) I found it to be too dark, violent and depressing. There must be a storyline in there somewhere but it was lost in the special effects and extended running time. Action movie fans will like it though.

Mediocre video and sound quality on Crave made it worse.
I was tempted to watch it on Crave but I think I’ll grab it off iTunes instead when on sale so it will at least be 4K HDR & Dolby Atmos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #585 · (Edited)
Russian Doll (Netflix)

SE01: A little over three years ago, my wife and I watched SE01. Despite the irritating characters and some abstruse humour, we stuck with it and were increasingly drawn into the story as it became more interesting and compelling. The ending was solid, and we were stoked for SE02. :)

SE02: Just finished SE02 and it was a real slog thanks to Nadia: She's a horrible person - abrasive, narcissistic and exploitative. (I don't remember her being this bad in SE01.) But I liked the overall concept and had hope that the show would change tack for the better, like SE01 did, so we toughed it out. Unfortunately it didn't get better, and the destination - the underwhelming reveal that "Life is what it is. Accept it and make the best of it." - wasn't worth the journey. There won't be a SE03 for us. (n)

·
Premium Member
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #586 · (Edited)
Venom: Let There Be Carnage (Amazon Prime)

Synopsis: After much quarreling, Eddie and Venom split up...but not before serial-killer Cletus Kasady bites them and acquires symbiote superpowers. With Cletus/Carnage on the loose and many lives in danger - including that of Eddie's ex-fiancée, Anne - Eddie and Venom patch things up and get to work creating some carnage of their own.

Comments: It wasn't as good as the first movie - the bickering early on was a little tiresome - but, like its predecessor, it was easy to watch, reasonably entertaining and MCU-free.

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
The Batman on Crave
Mediocre video and sound quality on Crave made it worse. With a movie of this calibre, the video should have popped and the audio enveloped. It did neither. The video looked like standard HD and the audio sounded like stereo compared to similar programs on other services.
I found the same thing. The blacks were nowhere near black and I was running in calibrated mode on my Vizio TV. They compressed the life out of it. If I recall bitrate was around 10Mbps.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Russian Doll (Netflix)

SE01: A little over three years ago, my wife and I watched SE01. Despite the irritating characters and some abstruse humour, we stuck with it and were increasingly drawn into the story as it became more interesting and compelling. The ending was solid, and we were stoked for SE02. :)

SE02: Just finished SE02 and it was a real slog thanks to Nadia: She's a horrible person - abrasive, narcissistic and exploitative. (I don't remember her being this bad in SE01.) But I liked the overall concept and had hope that the show would change tack for the better, like SE01 did, so we toughed it out. Unfortunately it didn't get better, and the destination - the underwhelming reveal that "Life is what it is. Accept it and make the best of it." - wasn't worth the journey. There won't be a SE03 for us. (n)
You don’t see the potential in the character for her to grow moving forward? I think she had some enlightenment, if she chooses to heed it and follow a new path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #593 ·
Ozark (Netflix)

My wife and I have really enjoyed this show. We just finished Part 2 of SE04, and while it was a little weak in a couple of spots, overall it was pretty solid and had some good moments of tension. And while the ending wasn't amazing, it did wrap things up reasonably well. (y)

It was a great series, thanks in no small part to Ruth / Julia Garner.

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
The Pentaverate on Netflix.

Since the Black Plague in 1347, five men have been working to influence world events for the greater good. One unlikely Canadian journalist finds himself in the middle of a mission to expose the truth and, in the process, save the world.

Watched the first 3 episodes. Typical Myers humour with lots of Canadiana. We enjoyed it. We were too tired to focus on another episode of The Dark so we gave this a shot. Breaking the 4th wall with Netflix got us laughing. And the Jeremy Irons intro too. Anso and Ergo. Best sidekick names ever. I think a lot of the double entendres and cultural references will be lost on some people.

·
Premium Member
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #596 ·
Hardcore Henry (Amazon Prime)

Synopsis: If everything goes according to plan, a revived supersoldier will stop at nothing to rescue the woman he loves from the clutches of an evil madman.

Comments: The more-protracted fight scenes were a bit tedious and there was a LOT of violence and blood but, overall, this was a pretty slick FPS-style flick. Sharlto Copley's multi-character performance was entertaining.

·
Premium Member
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #597 · (Edited)
Gretel & Hansel (Amazon Prime) (n)

Synopsis: As they make their way through a forest, a young girl and her younger brother fall prey to - and must find a way to escape from - a witch with sinister intentions.

Comments: The ponderous, retro-'Swedish cinema' stylings of this minimalist, re-worked fairy tale only served to make it more of a chore (and a bore) to watch. But my wife enjoyed it (except for the ending). :)

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
Severance TV Series on Apple TV+

The plot follows Mark (Scott), an employee of Lumon Industries who agrees to a "severance" program in which his non-work memories are separated from his work memories.

I recommend it. The "office" is visually and audibly sparse so you tend to focus on the small visual clues. But I still found the set design amazing. The dialog is tight too and not filled with unnecessary chatter.

Just noticed it was renewed for a second season.

581 - 600 of 600 Posts