Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
541 - 560 of 600 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #543 ·
The Eyes of Tammy Faye (Disney+)

Synopsis: Witness the rise and fall and nascent redemption of televangelist Jim Bakker's better half through the eyes of Tammy Faye Bakker.

Comments: Jessica Chastain - a talented and versatile actress - once again steals the show with a wonderful performance in this interesting and entertaining "based on a true story" bio-pic.

·
Premium Member
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #544 · (Edited)
The Weekend Away (Netflix) (n)

Synopsis: Beth and Kate's "girls' weekend" in Split, Croatia turns into a nightmare when Kate winds up dead and Beth quickly becomes the prime suspect in her murder.

Comments: The only thing worthwhile about this low-budget, amateurish and unintentionally-funny suspense-drama was the picturesque Euro setting.

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
Moonfall on Amazon Prime.
A mysterious force knocks the Moon from its orbit around Earth and sends it hurdling on a collision course with life as we know it.
Comments: Some of the moon VFX were top notch. But probably the most expensive B movie I've ever watched. The script was just so so painful. I think they managed to squeeze every Hollywood trope and cheesy line into this movie. Maybe it was on purpose. If that was not enough the acting was flat. Like middle school play flat. Finally, the plot had more holes than a sponge. Get this, they actually discovered the entity during the Apollo 11 landing. Then developed an EMP to neutralize the threat. But no they shelve the weapon for budgetary reasons. Right! Then the entity then kills an astronaut, they have it on camera. Nothing is done. The weapon remains mothballed. Another 12 years pass and everyone who matters including NASA and the President are still in the dark. I can get behind fantasy or science fiction but it needs to have some basic logic.

·
Premium Member
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #546 ·
Inventing Anna (Netflix)

" ... inspired by the story of Anna Sorokin and the article in New York titled 'How Anna Delvey Tricked New York's Party People' by Jessica Pressler. ... "
It was interesting enough, although it's clear from reading Wiki that a great many liberties were taken with the "inspired by" storytelling.

That said:
  • Julia Garner was compelling despite the fact that her "German accent" was at times distractingly uneven;
  • I'm amazed by the fact that so many people were (willing to be) fooled by Ms. Sorokin; and
  • I'm disappointed that the show made several of the key characters (incl. Vivian, Todd and Neff) out to be unlikeable saps.

·
Premium Member
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #547 · (Edited)
Moonfall (Amazon Prime) (n)

Synopsis: Thanks to some ancient and genocidal A.I., the Moon is on a spiralling collision course with Earth. With only hours remaining to prevent complete annihilation, two former astronauts and a conspiracy theorist journey to the lunar core in the hope of destroying the A.I. and setting the Moon free to return to its orbit.

Comments: The concept was interesting. The special effects were simultaneously impressive and boring. Everything else - story lines, characters, acting and (especially) dialogue - was atrocious. Even though I started this movie with the lowest possible expectations, I finished it thinking "colossal turd". :poop:

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
Only Murders in the Building on Disney +.

Three strangers played by Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez, share an obsession with a true crime podcast. After a suspicious death in their affluent Upper West Side apartment building, the Arconia, the three neighbors decide to start their own podcast about their investigation of the death, which the police ruled a suicide.

Comments: Only 3 episodes in but we really like it so far. The episodes are short and quickly paced. The humour is top-notch. Martin and Short have great chemistry.

·
Premium Member
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #550 · (Edited)
Till Death (Amazon Prime)

Synopsis: Determined to teach her a lesson, Emma's husband, Mark - controlling, cuckold and vengeful - executes an intricate plan to have her suffer a slow, miserable death. But even the best laid schemes don't always work out as expected.

Comments: This was a truly craptastic movie that had me laughing at times. The writing was bad, the acting was worse. But it was miles ahead of "Titane".

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
Munich - The Edge of War on Netflix.

Set in the fall of 1938, Hitler prepares to invade Czechoslovakia, and the government of Neville Chamberlain desperately seeks a peaceful solution. A British civil servant and a German diplomat, former classmates, travel to Munich to discuss peace.

Comments: I have to admit my pre-WWII European knowledge is lacking so I was not aware of this historic event and for the first 1/2 hour I was thinking this was occurring in an alternative universe. One where peace was negotiated. Jeremy Irons and George Mackay were both stellar. It was the type of movie where you constantly have an uneasy feeling, that something horrible is about to happen.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just started season 3 of Snowpiercer, I waited until all 10 episodes were available.
Am really enjoying it but wish I had rewatched the final episode of season 2 as a refresher before starting season 3.
Was happy to read that filming season 4 has already started.

·
Premium Member
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #556 · (Edited)
Archive 81 (Netflix)

Just finished the show. It started off well, it had an interesting premise and it had one good character (Mark). (My wife and I fully expected him to get killed off but, thankfully, he never did.)

But as it veered from suspense/horror to supernatural/horror, the show and its two main protagonists (Dan and Melody) got dumber. And lazy writing meant a significant increase in the irritating and boring use of f-bombs. The final episode was ridiculously and nonsensically awful.

(n)

·
Premium Member
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #558 ·
All the Old Knives (Amazon Prime) (n)

Synopsis: Eight years after a tragic terrorist hijacking in Austria, CIA agent Henry Pelham is tasked with finding and neutralizing the mole who worked in the Vienna office at that time. Unfortunately for Henry, it appears that the prime suspect is Celia, his one-time colleague and lover.

Comments: Neither the sonorous-string score nor the softcore love scene improved the lethargic pacing of this dull, artsy romantic drama.

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
The plot even sounds excruciating. It's an 11 minute movie really. The 5 minute intro, followed by the agent turning down the assignment due to personal conflicts (and likely discovery due to them,) cue the 5 minute credits. Plus, it's been done before with mixed success.

·
Premium Member
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #560 ·
The Equalizer (Netflix)

Synopsis: His past long behind him, ex-Special Forces operative Robert McCall leads a very quiet and unassuming life in Boston. When a friend of his - a young prostitute from his neighbourhood coffee shop - is severely beaten by some local Russian mobsters, Robert takes matters into his own hands. As a result, very many people die.

Comments: The story was simple and the violence was plentiful. On recent viewing, I found the pacing to be more leisurely than I remembered. Nevertheless, the overall movie was entertaining, thanks in no small part to Denzel.

541 - 560 of 600 Posts