Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
441 - 460 of 481 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #441 ·
No Time To Die (Amazon Prime)

Synopsis: Madman Lyutsifer Safin steals a nanobot-based bioweapon secretly under development in an MI6 lab, uses it to destroy SPECTRE to avenge the death of his family, and then threatens to kill millions of people around the globe for the betterment of humanity. It's up to Bond, James Bond, and friends - including newly-minted 007 - to end the madness and save the world.

Comments: Another very busy entry in the Bond franchise. It was alright, if a good half hour too long.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Making Their Mark, an Amazon Prime documentary series, takes an unprecendented journey into the inner sanctum of Australia's greatest football game Aussie Rules ( AFL) in 2020 as they figured out how to keep the game going at the beginning of the pandemic.
Players, coaches, and families from 6 teams during the season when it looked like it would have to be shut down like most of the rest of the world's team sports.

The sacrifices everyone had to make to keep the game going.
I found it absolutely fascinating and watched all 7 episodes over 3 nights.

Warning, there are LOTS of f-bombs so not for those with delicate ears.

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
1883 on Paramount+ (also available on Paramount network.) Billed as a prequel to Yellowstone, this show has excellent production values and early episodes are staged in Texas. It chronicles the journey of a group early settlers from Texas to the northern plains. It is made by the same creators as Yellowstone. Fans of Yellowstone and gritty, violent westerns will likely enjoy the series.

·
Premium Member
9,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #444 · (Edited)
The French Dispatch (Amazon Prime) (n)

Synopsis: The death of The French Dispatch newspaper's editor prompts its staff to produce a final issue - comprising four stories and an obituary - before shuttering operations.

Comments: Another Wes Anderson "miss", this movie was initially entertaining but by the half-way mark its protracted and persistent quirkiness engendered a tedium - an ennui, if you will - that plagued my wife and me until the end.

·
Premium Member
9,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #445 · (Edited)
Alias Grace (Netflix)

Synopsis: American psychiatrist Dr. Simon Jordan is hired to determine whether Grace Marks - a lovely, young female servant tried and found guilty of collaborating on a pair of murders in Canada - is mentally fit to be held accountable for the crimes committed.

Comments: This six-episode period drama started off a bit rough but quickly became engrossing. Tremendous performance by Sarah Gadon and solid performances by rest of the cast including (surprisingly) Anna Paquin and Zachary Levi. The ending was a little flat but, overall, the show was both interesting and entertaining.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am streaming Season 4 of Bosch on Prime Video Canada and will be streaming Season 2 of The Witcher on Netflix.

·
Premium Member
9,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #447 ·
Don't Look Up (Netflix)

Synopsis: A pair of American astronomers discover a planet-killer comet on a collision course with Earth but their attempts to spur their government and fellow citizens into action fall on vacuous ears.

Comments: This was a well-paced and reasonably entertaining black-comedy/drama, even if the humour and commentary occasionally lacked subtlety or cleverness.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Alias Grace (Netflix)

Synopsis: American psychiatrist Dr. Simon Jordan is hired to determine whether Grace Marks - a lovely, young female servant tried and found guilty of collaborating on a pair of murders in Canada - is mentally fit to be held accountable for the crimes committed.

Comments: This six-episode period drama started off a bit rough but quickly became engrossing. Tremendous performance by Sarah Gadon and solid performances by rest of the cast including (surprisingly) Anna Paquin and Zachary Levi. The ending was a little flat but, overall, the show was both interesting and entertaining.
I saw this when it first came out, it was really fantastic. I wish I had been able to see it commercial free.

·
Registered
328 Posts
On the Verge Netflix, I found the first episode very unimpressive,it was not grabbing me at all. I would have switched off if I had had something else lined up.
Happily things improved halfway through the second half and by episode 4 I was really enjoying it.
Goes to show being lazy has its merits at times :sneaky:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yellowstone season 4 Amazon Prime, over 3 nights, I enjoyed it immensely but did think there was quite a lot of filler with the horses.
Saying that, it's a pleasure to see them in action in the ring.
Really starting to feel sorry for Jamie, can't help but wonder if he will come out on top by the end of the series.

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
..., I enjoyed it immensely but did think there was quite a lot of filler with the horses.
I look upon the horse show story as a development of the Jimmy Hurdstram character and hope that the character's ongoing story will play a significant part in season 4. The horse thefts are part of the major plot thread involving people trying to undermine ranchers and take their land. I enjoy the part horses play in the series. It's no different than the cars and guns fillers I see in a lot of other shows and a lot more interesting.

The show has turned out to be huge hit so the emphasis now would be to keep it going. This is not new. It's done all the time with popular TV series and tends to make the shows seem slow and overly long. The worst example I've ever tried to watch was not a TV series but the Hobbit trilogy. Making that book's 300 or so pages into three movies while compressing The Lord of the Rings Trilogy's 1000+ pages in into three movies just felt wrong.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I look upon the horse show story as a development of the Jimmy Hurdstram character and hope that the character's ongoing story will play a significant part in season 4. The horse thefts are part of the major plot thread involving people trying to undermine ranchers and take their land. I enjoy the part horses play in the series. It's no different than the cars and guns fillers I see in a lot of other shows and a lot more interesting.
From what I am reading Jimmy left at the end of Season 4 to return to the Four Sixes Ranch ( which apparently the actor actually owns), it seems that there will be a spinoff of Four Sixes.
I guess if they do that then there will be crossovers from time to time.
My main gripe if any about Season 4 is that I don't think the story progressed all that much.

Re The Hobbit and LOTR, I read the books in the 70's and have never been able to watch movies or tv series, I want to keep my memories of how I pictured it as I was reading.

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
It seemed like most of season 4 was about finding resolutions for what happened in season 3. Now that's done, I hope they pick up the pace a little.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It seemed like most of season 4 was about finding resolutions for what happened in season 3. Now that's done, I hope they pick up the pace a little.
I agree with you completely. I hope they do pick up the pace in Season 5 of Yellowstone. I liked that they found resolutions in Season 4. It was a slower pace but I just wanted the season finale to have a cliff hanger or a twist.

·
Premium Member
9,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #458 ·
The Lost Daughter (Netflix)

Synopsis: While on vacation in Greece, Leda - a college professor - befriends a harried young wife and mother whose palpable despair causes Leda to relive her own stifling youth.

Comments: Although it was rather minimalist and slow-paced (and occasionally a bit contrived), this movie featured some good storytelling comprising numerous moments of tension and emotion and driven by solid performances from the leads (especially Coleman and Buckley).

·
Premium Member
9,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #459 · (Edited)
Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard (Netflix) (n)

Synopsis: Down-on-his-luck and currently-unlicensed personal-security expert Michael Bryce involuntarily joins forces with notorious hitman Darius Kincaid and his lethal wife, Sonia, to stop a really bad guy from doing a really bad thing. A tremendous amount of shooting, killing, exploding and expletive-laden wisecracking ensues.

Comments: Aside from a few chuckles, this more-is-less sequel to "The Hitman's Bodyguard" was pretty lame.

·
Premium Member
9,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #460 · (Edited)
Stay Close (Netflix)

This eight-part British mini-series is the latest based-on-a-Harlan-Coben-novel offering from Netflix. Some of these have been pretty good. This is not one of those. It's mostly dull and features drab and/or unlikeable characters including the protagonist (Megan/Cassie) and another main player (Ray).

The best characters were DS Michael Broome; Lorraine Griggs, his love interest and owner of a local strip club; and DC Erin Cartwright, Broome's ex-wife and on-duty partner. And quite frankly the only really great moment in the entire show was the final episode's key scene between Michael and Lorraine. Fantastic!

441 - 460 of 481 Posts