Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
421 - 440 of 481 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Wanderlust with Toni Collette on Netflix. A joint Netflix and BBC production.
Only 6 episodes to the series. Have to say I am really enjoying it after 2 episodes.

·
Premium Member
9,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #424 · (Edited)
The Feed (Amazon Prime)

Synopsis: The Feed is a world-wide neural network whose near-universal interconnectedness is its greatest strength...and, unfortunately, its greatest weakness.

Comments: This one-season, ten-episode series started off strong, with an interesting premise and some good writing. (y) But by around the fifth episode it ran out of steam...and then rapidly descended into complete :poop: . The last three episodes were profoundly awful. I don't know how the writers managed to screw up such a promising show so badly, but they did. (n)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm half way through season 3. I should have started it sooner.
I think you're much better off doing it the way you are, with no commercials and being able to binge.
I watched first two seasons on dvd, 3rd season on I think Paramount channel with commercials and it lost so much due to having to ff through commercials.

·
Administrator
525 Posts
I think you're much better off doing it the way you are, with no commercials and being able to binge.
I watched first two seasons on dvd, 3rd season on I think Paramount channel with commercials and it lost so much due to having to ff through commercials.
It's the same way I binged Longmire which had a similar vibe.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Am finishing off Grace and Frankie series or thought I was, I just realized that there are only 4 episodes of season 7 so far. I would have waited for all episodes if I had known that.
I hope it does get finished.

·
Premium Member
9,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #430 ·
Moon (Amazon Prime)

Synopsis: As his three-year contract draws to a close, Sam Bell - the sole employee deployed to Lunar Industries' moon-based mining facility - is involved in an accident that damages valuable machinery and renders him unconscious. When he wakes up in the infirmary, GERTY - the facility's ever-present A.I. computer - explains to him that Lunar Industries is sending a rescue team to fix the equipment and to take him back to Earth. Relief turns to confusion when Sam returns to the wreckage and finds more than he bargained for. Has prolonged isolation finally driven him mad...or is there a far more sinister explanation?

Comments: It's been a few years since I last watched this movie. It remains a brisk, low-key sci-fi flick with an interesting story, good atmosphere and steady pacing from start to (slightly flat) finish. Sam Rockwell turned in another solid performance while Kevin Spacey effectively (if a little drably) voiced GERTY.

·
Premium Member
9,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #431 ·
Veteran (Netflix)

Synopsis: A kick-ass detective makes it his mission to take down the dangerous, arrogant scion of a powerful business family.

Comments: This movie was a strange, hit-and-miss mish-mash of action, (dark) comedy, drama and a little slapstick. The run time was 2 hours but we didn't make it past 50 minutes of 'meh'. (n)

·
Registered
273 Posts
MacGruber!
(Sheer outrageousness and ridiculousness and non-PC are great comfort to me the deeper into Covid we get)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
328 Posts
The Beautiful Lie, Amazon Prime.

The six-part series is a contemporary retelling on Leo Tolstoy's classic, Anna Karenina

Great cast although it's hard to take your eyes off Sarah Snook when she is on camera.
She's amazing.
Watched first three episodes last night, will finish tonight.
This was made by ABC tv in Australia.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The Beautiful Lie, Amazon Prime.

The six-part series is a contemporary retelling on Leo Tolstoy's classic, Anna Karenina

Great cast although it's hard to take your eyes off Sarah Snook when she is on camera.
She's amazing.
Watched first three episodes last night, will finish tonight.
This was made by ABC tv in Australia.
I think you mentioned before that you do not have Crave, and you probably are aware of this already, but Sarah Snook is one of the family members in Succession. I was considering watching Beautiful Lie. Please repost your opinion on the series when you have completed it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think you mentioned before that you do not have Crave, and you probably are aware of this already, but Sarah Snook is one of the family members in Succession. I was considering watching Beautiful Lie. Please repost your opinion on the series when you have completed it.
I had the movie network which included HBO when Succession first came out. I loved it.
I have first two seasons on dvd and am waiting for season 3 to be released.
Or maybe I will just bite the bullet and sign up for a few months, there are quite a few things on there that I am wanting to watch.
Will post my opinion on TBL ( for what it's worth) after I finish :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
@Peppermint P,

All I can say about The Beautiful Lie is that it is probably the best series I have seen this year. I am still processing it.
It's not always an easy watch, at least it wasn't for me but I couldn't take my eyes off the screen and you definitely pay attention to every second. ( well I couldn't)
I think you might like it too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had the movie network which included HBO when Succession first came out. I loved it.
I have first two seasons on dvd and am waiting for season 3 to be released.
Or maybe I will just bite the bullet and sign up for a few months, there are quite a few things on there that I am wanting to watch.
Will post my opinion on TBL ( for what it's worth) after I finish :)
I still get Crave through cable and keep it mainly for HBO and Showtime series. If you liked the first 2 seasons of Succession, you will definitely like season 3. There is a new Julian Fellows series The Gilded Age, starting in January that looks very promising. There was a 4 episode Australian series Unusual Suspects with a predominantly female cast added a couple of months back that I think you might enjoy as well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
With Love, Amazon Prime.

With Love” follows four interlocking couples as they fall in, out of, and back in love over five episodes, each unfolding over the course of a different holiday,
Have only watched the first episode so far but enjoyed it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I still get Crave through cable and keep it mainly for HBO and Showtime series. If you liked the first 2 seasons of Succession, you will definitely like season 3. There is a new Julian Fellows series The Gilded Age, starting in January that looks very promising. There was a 4 episode Australian series Unusual Suspects with a predominantly female cast added a couple of months back that I think you might enjoy as well.
Thanks, have added those to the list for when and if I decide to sign up for Crave, wish we could just get HBO Go here.

·
Premium Member
9,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #440 ·
Solos (Amazon Prime)

Each of the seven brief episodes (aside from Constance Wu's) in this mini-series was a quasi-monologue about various facets of the human experience (incl. life, love, relationships, fear, memories and/or death). Some were better than others and some where "shoutier" than others, but they were all interesting and well-acted. My Top 2 picks were Anthony Mackie's "Tom" and Helen Mirren's "Peg".

421 - 440 of 481 Posts