Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
401 - 412 of 412 Posts

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Yellowstone (Prime Video Canada.) It's a real treat to watch this show without commercials and what appears to be 4K resolution. The video and audio are great and the show much more enjoyable when uninterrupted.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Not likely it will be dropped from Amazon, as there is a spinoff series coming revolving around Bosch and his daughter working as an investigator for Honey Chandler (Mimi Rogers). It will be on the free IMDB streaming service in the US which is owned by Amazon. I am hoping it will be on Amazon in Canada. Bosch is on Crave as well, as the series was created before Amazon Video was launched in Canada and Bel Media bought the rights at that time. Amazon was smart enough to not sell excusive rights, unlike Paramount + which has totally deleted their service in Canada.
That's good to know, thanks, will definitely keep my eye out for it but still have 2 eppies of season 1 Bosch to get through tonight. Will likely start season 2 after that if it's not too late.

·
Super Moderator
11,260 Posts
Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings on Disney+
Martial-arts master Shang-Chi confronts the past he thought he left behind when he's drawn into the web of the mysterious Ten Rings organization.
Part of the Marvel universe. I was not really aware of this movie prior to stumbling on it. Not surprising given Marvel, but the special effects/fight choreography were quite elaborate and drew from a lot from Asian cinema. We enjoyed it.

·
Premium Member
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #405 · (Edited)
Jungle Cruise (Disney+)

Synopsis: In 1916, a botanical scientist and her brother hire an Amazon riverboat captain to help them find a magical tree. The journey will be fraught with dangers, not the least of which are ze Germans and cursed, 16th-century Spanish conquistadors.

Comments: Trite and formulaic, sprinkled with anachronistic political correctness and blatant stereotypes, and slathered in cheese and CGI. If it weren't for the likeability of Johnson and Blunt, I don't think I'd've made it past the first act.

·
Premium Member
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #408 · (Edited)
I See You (Amazon Prime)

Synopsis: As a small town reels from a pair of abductions that appear indicate the return of a serial killer, the Harper family home reels from the emotional impacts of marital infidelity and an outburst of disturbing, seemingly-paranormal activity.

Comments: Aside from a cringeworthy-but-necessary scene early in the third act, this was a good, low-key, slow-burn suspense flick. I liked how the perspective - and the feel - of the movie shifted part way through and carried on to a solid ending. Nicely done.

·
Premium Member
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #409 · (Edited)
Hellbound (Netflix)

My wife and I were on the fence at the end of Ep.1 of this six-episode series, thanks mostly to the very-shouty Arrowhead Streamer, but it got a lot better over the next couple of episodes (with the A.S. on mute). We just finished the last episode and - damn! - what a fine series it was! :cool:(y) Loved the teaser ending - it's left us even more eager to watch another (hopefully equally well-written) season.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
The Wheel of Time (Amazon Prime) (y)

I've been a fan of the books since High School (only six were out at the time, out of fourteen, so that was a LONG time ago). My wife has never read them and was never really interested. We're watching together. I'm not sure if its more surprising that she likes it (as the trailers didn't interest her), or that I like it (as a LOT of stuff is changed from the books I know). But... we're both enjoying it.

The first episode is pretty uneven I think, but it evens out and 2-4 get progressively stronger as the world is introduced and things keep happening. Definitely worth checking out if you're into fantasy. Just... don't do Game of Thrones comparisons. They're nothing alike, as WoT was always far more high magic and not grimdark.

·
Premium Member
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #411 ·
Maid (Netflix)

Watched the first 5 episodes of this one-season, ten-episode show and gave up. Although there's some good stuff in it - not the least of which is Rylea Nevaeh Whittet's performance as Maddy - we got tired of the seemingly-intelligent protagonist repeatedly making bad decisions (some of which were conveniently consequence-free), apologizing for her bad decisions (particularly the ones that actually had consequences) and/or blaming others for the predicaments that resulted from her bad decisions. On to the next...

401 - 412 of 412 Posts