Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
381 - 400 of 412 Posts

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
I was really disappointed in Apple+ as well. There is very little we want to watch and it's overloaded with paid rentals and purchases. There is a reason why Apple is one of the richest companies in the world and it's called high profit margin. The only reason we got Apple+ was due to a free promo. I kept it for Foundation but starting to wonder if that's worth it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Has anyone ese been watching Dr. Death? I am watching it on Showcase cable but it is also on StackTV. I am having trouble watching it, because the story is based on a true story and it is so horrifying. Joshua Jackson is amazing in it.. I have never wanted to punch a character in the face so much every time he appears on screen. Christian Slater and Alec Baldwin have really good chemistry and a great rapport as the Doctors trying to expose Dr. Death, and were keeping the entire cast constantly laughing on set according to Jackson. (Unfortunately, we may have seen the end of Baldwin's career, as he is somewhat culpable in the tragic shooting, as a producer of the film.)

·
Premium Member
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 · (Edited)
Clickbait (Netflix)

My wife and I just finished watching this 8-episode mini-series. We almost gave up on it after the first two annoying episodes - thanks mostly to Zoe Kazan and/or her character, Pia - but the latter part of the third episode unexpectedly hooked us, so we decided to keep going. It got considerably better, peaking with Ep. 6 ("The Brother") which was very well done. Notwithstanding the disappointment of a completely un-telegraphed twist (which felt like a cheat), the final episode was a decent if somewhat underwhelming end to the show.

·
Premium Member
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #384 ·
Doctor Sleep (Netflix)

Synopsis: A reluctant Danny Torrance teams up with Abra - a teenager whose powers shine brighter than his - to stop a group of long-lived, psychic killers (qu'est-ce que c'est) who hunt down "shining" individuals and consume their life force.

Comments: Horror-free and with very little suspense, this slow-but-steady, 145-minute-long supernatural drama felt more like a three-part mini-series than a good movie. On the plus side: Rebecca Ferguson. :D And a good performance by Kyliegh Curran as Abra.

·
Premium Member
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 ·
The Equalizer 2 (Netflix)

Synopsis: His past long behind him, ex-Special Forces operative Robert McCall leads a very quiet and unassuming life in Boston. When a friend and former colleague of his is killed, Robert takes matters into his own hands. As a result, very many people die.

Comments: Like the first movie, the story was simple and the violence was plentiful. Unlike the first movie, it was bloated (especially the final act) and it got boring (ditto).

·
Super Moderator
56,933 Posts
Invasion on Apple+. My free one year subscription of Apple+ ends soon, so I thought I'd have another look at what was available. Invasion looked interesting and we watched the first 4 episodes. We're perfectly willing to let a series develop slowly, but this one was way too slow - glacial doesn't describe it adequately. We found several of the character(s) very annoying (the family in particular). We will not watch the remaining 6 episodes. We don't even care how it ends, as the ending airs after the free subscription expires.

We have found several (free) series or movies to watch on Apple+, however, certainly not enough to entice us to subscribe. I suppose one could subscribe for a month or two every now and then, however, our (Rogers) PVR and OD usually has enough for us to watch.

·
Premium Member
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #388 · (Edited)
The Chair (Netflix)

This comedy-drama is a little show (six ~30-minute episodes) and my wife and I weren't sure we'd make it past the first noisy episode...but we got hooked on the next one and, all too soon, it was over and now we want more. :D

Really good writing (when it's not trying too hard to be clever or funny) and some great characters (including an impressive and very natural performance by Everly Carganilla as daughter "Ju Ju" Kim).

Recommended. (y)

·
Premium Member
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #389 · (Edited)
Train To Busan (Amazon Prime)

Synopsis: A businessman and his young daughter - along with numerous other passengers - are forced to cope with the zombie apocalypse while on the train from Seoul to Busan.

Comments: It wasn't a bad movie overall - there were good moments of tension and action and even some decent acting (kudos to Su-an Kim) - but the storytelling was a bit uneven and the ending was disappointingly flat.

·
Super Moderator
11,260 Posts
The Boys on Amazon Prime. "What happens when the heroes go rogue and start abusing their powers?"

FYI I measured the bitrate and it was 15500kbit/s to my Roku Ultra 4K. So image and sound quality was top notch.

The acting was good. Props to Antony Starr and Karl Urban. The dialog was tight and managed to convincingly cover relevant topics likes the wealth, immigration, racism, social media and merchandising. It was surreal but the parallels with what is going on currently in the world were easy to spot.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Watched part one of Peter Allen: not the boy next door on Amazon Prime last night.
Will finish with part two tonight.

Not The Boy Next Door tells the story of Peter Allen, who went from being a childhood performer in country NSW to a Grammy and Academy Award-winning songwriter and the toast of Broadway, marrying into Hollywood royalty along the way.
Am loving it, Ky Baldwin who plays the young Peter is amazingly good. The entire cast is excellent including Sigrid Thornton as Judy Garland.
The music is fantastic.

·
Super Moderator
11,260 Posts
Finch on Apple TV.

A robot that lives on a post-apocalyptic earth which was built to protect the life of his dying creator's beloved dog, it learns about love, friendship, and the meaning of human life.
As I was watching this it felt like some elements of Cast Away, WALL-E, I am Legend and Chappie. I won't spoil it. Go enjoy it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just finished Maid on Netflix, after 10 episodes, some quite harrowing, I can't decide whether or not I actually liked it.
Apparently there will be a second season.
The performances are good, Margaret Qualley who plays Alex, a victim of domestic violence also has to care ( or try to) for her bi-polar mother played by her real life mother Andie MacDowell .
The young girl who plays 3 year old daughter Maddy is a real ray of sunshine.

·
Premium Member
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 ·
Toy Story 4 (Disney+)

Synopsis: With a week to spare between her kindergarden orientation day - during which she literally made a new friend named Forky - and the first day of school, Bonnie's parents take her, Forky, Woody and several more toys on an RV road trip. For Woody, the trip turns out to be considerably more challenging - and, ultimately, rewarding - than expected.

Comments: Although this was an entirely unnecessary movie that fell a bit shy of being as good as its precursors, it was well-written and full of both wonderful and amusing moments. The perfectly-creepy Benson dolls were definitely one of the highlights.

:) (y)

·
Premium Member
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #395 · (Edited)
Red Notice (Netflix)

Synopsis: FBI Special Agent John Hartley captures exceptional art thief Nolan Booth shortly after a recent heist, only to find himself suspected by Interpol of having stolen the recovered loot. Believing that they are being played and outsmarted by a legendary thief known as the Bishop, Hartley and Nolan reluctantly team up to take her down - Hartley in order to clear his name with Interpol and Nolan to take the Bishop's title and treasures. But with many twists and turns ahead of them - and with Interpol hot on their trail - the undertaking will be anything but easy peasy.

Comments: This action-comedy was about as much fluffy fun as I expected it would be and a good 15-20 minutes longer than it should have been.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Disney+.) Billed as a martial arts film, it's more like a Marvel superhero movie with lead characters fluent in the martial arts as the heroes and villains. Then throw in some cute animated Disney-like characters to appeal to young viewers and it becomes a Disney blockbuster for the whole family. There is enough good martial arts choreography and great superhero action here to appeal to fans of both genres. Highly recommended for fans of blockbuster action movies.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Bosch-Amazon Prime

I'm probably the last person on the planet to start watching Bosch, I thought I had seen first few seasons but was mixing it up with Boss with Kelsey Grammer.
Am loving it, I just hope Amazon doesn't drop it before I finish the series.
It's great to be able to find quality shows missed first time around, especially being able to watch commercial free.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Red Notice (Netflix)

Synopsis: FBI Special Agent John Hartley captures exceptional art thief Nolan Booth shortly after a recent heist, only to find himself suspected by Interpol of having stolen the recovered loot. Believing that they are being played and outsmarted by a legendary thief known as the Bishop, Hartley and Nolan reluctantly team up to take her down - Hartley in order to clear his name with Interpol and Nolan to take the Bishop's title and treasures. But with many twists and turns ahead of them - and with Interpol hot on their trail - the undertaking will be anything but easy peasy.

Comments: This action-comedy was about as much fluffy fun as I expected it would be and a good 15-20 minutes longer than it should have been.
It was more like a B movie which was a shame because the acting was good. The FX were fake looking.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bosch-Amazon Prime

I'm probably the last person on the planet to start watching Bosch, I thought I had seen first few seasons but was mixing it up with Boss with Kelsey Grammer.
Am loving it, I just hope Amazon doesn't drop it before I finish the series.
It's great to be able to find quality shows missed first time around, especially being able to watch commercial free.
Not likely it will be dropped from Amazon, as there is a spinoff series coming revolving around Bosch and his daughter working as an investigator for Honey Chandler (Mimi Rogers). It will be on the free IMDB streaming service in the US which is owned by Amazon. I am hoping it will be on Amazon in Canada. Bosch is on Crave as well, as the series was created before Amazon Video was launched in Canada and Bel Media bought the rights at that time. Amazon was smart enough to not sell excusive rights, unlike Paramount + which has totally deleted their service in Canada.

381 - 400 of 412 Posts