Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
361 - 380 of 412 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Watched first 4 episodes of Back to the Rafters on Amazon Prime last night.
It's set 6 years after Packed to the Rafters finished its final season.
If I had realized there were only 6 episodes I might have restrained myself and only watched 3.
Was nice to see the Rafter family again, it's actually 8 years since the Australian series finished.

·
Premium Member
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #362 · (Edited)
The Marksman (Amazon Prime)

Synopsis: It won't be easy with members of a drug cartel hunting them, but widower Jim Hanson - a man with a particular set of skills - will do everything he can to fulfill a dying Mexican woman's wish to have her IA son safely delivered to family in Chicago.

Comments: A paint-by-numbers action-thriller with plenty of clunky dialogue and weak acting, but it benefitted from Neeson's likeability and it did have a few good moments in it including the bittersweet ending and a nice riff on his famous line from "Taken".

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Foundation on AppleTV+ is a big budget adaptation of Azimov's classic. I never read the books, so I'm naturally a little lost -- it's BIG and epic. Very high production values. Good cast and acting.

·
Premium Member
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #365 ·
Free Guy (Disney+)

Synopsis: Guy - a sentient non-player character in Free City, a popular on-line video game - learns the true nature of his world from Millie, a gamer with whom he has fallen in love. When the game's owner threatens to destroy Free City to keep Millie from recovering the original code he stole from her and her friend Walter and buried in the game, it's up to Guy and his fellow citizens - with help from Millie and Walter - to find the code, save themselves from annihilation and build a new and better world.

Comments: I was looking forward to this movie and had high hopes for it...and I was not disappointed. It was well-paced, light-hearted, entertaining and had some pretty cool visuals. In short, it was a lot of fun. :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Foundation on AppleTV+ is a big budget adaptation of Azimov's classic. I never read the books, so I'm naturally a little lost -- it's BIG and epic. Very high production values. Good cast and acting.
I read the books many years ago and I still can't see how they can make a series from it. You're probably better off not knowing the books and less likely to be disappointed.
Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it after you've finished the series.

·
Premium Member
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #367 · (Edited)
The Guilty (Netflix)

Synopsis: While assigned to a 9-1-1 night shift, highly-stressed LAPD officer Joe Baylor receives a disturbing call from a frightened woman who appears to have been taken hostage. Driven by a need to redeem himself after a recent incident that haunts him, Joe frantically and rashly tries to help her.

Comments: This minimalist, 90-minute drama started off strong and for the most part was pretty interesting. Unfortunately it peaked early, dragged on 20 minutes too long and ended with a 'meh'. Good performance by Gyllenhaal.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Watched most of an Australian series from 2005, The Surgeon with Justine Clarke and Sam Worthington. I'd never heard of this series which only has 8 episodes and surprisingly each episode is only around 22 minutes in length which I found unsual for a drama series.
I think it just turned up on Amazon Prime.

·
Super Moderator
11,260 Posts
Just finished Clickbait on Netflix. It is a single season (limited series) which I prefer for some reason. But wow that show never seemed to slow down. It was quite entertaining and not entirely predictable.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just watched first two episodes of Goliath final season on Amazon Prime.
Have to say I was all at sea for a lot of the first episode but was up to speed ( mostly) by episode 2.
Will be sorry to see it end, it's been such a good series.

So many familiar faces showing up which is a nice bonus.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just watched first two episodes of Goliath final season on Amazon Prime.
Have to say I was all at sea for a lot of the first episode but was up to speed ( mostly) by episode 2.
Will be sorry to see it end, it's been such a good series.

So many familiar faces showing up which is a nice bonus.
I started watching the first season of Goliath a couple of years ago and I cannot remember why I did not continue. Probably just watching too many other things at the same time. I should go back and watch because I like Billy Bob. The other early Amazon series I meant to go back and watch is Sneaky Pete. Looking back it seems to me that Amazon's early original drama series were a lot better than anything they are making now. I watched all 7 seasons of Bosch and all of the Man in the High Castle. Excluding Nine Perfect Strangers and Little Fires Everywhere which were actually Hulu series, I cannot recall one drama series I watched in the past few years with the exception of the Modern Love anthology series. I suspect they are trying to attract a younger demographic these days.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I started watching the first season of Goliath a couple of years ago and I cannot remember why I did not continue. Probably just watching too many other things at the same time. I should go back and watch because I like Billy Bob. The other early Amazon series I meant to go back and watch is Sneaky Pete. Looking back it seems to me that Amazon's early original drama series were a lot better than anything they are making now. I watched all 7 seasons of Bosch and all of the Man in the High Castle. Excluding Nine Perfect Strangers and Little Fires Everywhere which were actually Hulu series, I cannot recall one drama series I watched in the past few years with the exception of the Modern Love anthology series. I suspect they are trying to attract a younger demographic these days.
I'd recommend you go back and finish the series.
Sneaky Pete is another series I kept meaning to watch and forgot about.
Kept thinking I had seen first couple of seasons of Bosch but it turns out it was Boss I had been watching. Will definitely put Bosch at the top of my to watch list.
I thought In The Loop was really good, I also liked The Wilds a lot.
The Marvelous Mrs Maisel is another favourite.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Amazon shows: Undone (still waiting for S2) was excellent. Invincible is pretty good (just got to get past the first couple of episodes). And if you are a fan of sci fi The Expanse is very good (especially now that you can binge everything (last season yet to come). Also enjoyed Mozart in the Jungle, Mrs. Maizel, The Boys (excellent). There are lots of good show on Prime but, you're right, most of them are not all that recent.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Amazon shows: Undone (still waiting for S2) was excellent. Invincible is pretty good (just got to get past the first couple of episodes). And if you are a fan of sci fi The Expanse is very good (especially now that you can binge everything (last season yet to come). Also enjoyed Mozart in the Jungle, Mrs. Maizel, The Boys (excellent). There are lots of good show on Prime but, you're right, most of them are not all that recent.
This is in reply to bluedrongo as well. I also enjoyed Undone and Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, but I consider them more comedy rather than drama. I think I read last week that production on Undone Season 2 i will begin early in the new year.. Boys is definitely not to my taste, but is certainly one of Amazon's most successful series. I will give The Loop a shot. In my mind, I was comparing Amazon to Apple + and the number of series that appeal to me. I haven't even subscribed to Apple+ yet, but the list of shows I want to see keeps growing. I subscribe to both Acorn and PBS as add on channels, so the choices are pretty much unlimited. I am really enjoying some of the Walter Presents foreign series on PBS, and they just keep adding more. Bluedrongo, I know you ae a fan of Australian series. There are several on Acorn, I am just finishing off the last episode of My Life is Murder season 2 (with Lucy Lawless and Martin Henderson in second season).

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
By the way "The Loop" is actually "Tales from the Loop". It's somewhat of an anthology series (each episode is standalone, but it all takes place in the same town, so there are some characters that appear in multiple episodes). I've found, over the years, that I often don't enjoy anthology series. Can't put my finger on the why.

As for AppleTV+, they have a limited selection of "free" shows and a lot of stuff you would have to pay extra. The Morning Show is quite good, Ted Lasso is excellent, Foundation is ... epic? I never read the books but if you have you might not enjoy it as much (apparently they deviated a lot). For All Mankind is also quite good. Mosquito Coast -- I really tried to like it but found it difficult to watch (most characters are not likeable, it tends to get extremely violent). We watched one episode of "See" (apparently it does get better but it's starting so low!) There are other shows, of course, but these were the only ones that we found were interesting enough to at least try.

If you are expecting Mare of Easttown, that's extra (although for a while they had a free week -- should eventually come back).

All in all, while I was waiting for the new seasons of Ted Lasso and The Morning Show I was often wondering why I didn't cancel it for a few months -- probably, mostly, because it's the cheapest one of the bunch.

·
Registered
282 Posts
By the way "The Loop" is actually "Tales from the Loop". It's somewhat of an anthology series (each episode is standalone, but it all takes place in the same town, so there are some characters that appear in multiple episodes). I've found, over the years, that I often don't enjoy anthology series. Can't put my finger on the why.

As for AppleTV+, they have a limited selection of "free" shows and a lot of stuff you would have to pay extra. The Morning Show is quite good, Ted Lasso is excellent, Foundation is ... epic? I never read the books but if you have you might not enjoy it as much (apparently they deviated a lot). For All Mankind is also quite good. Mosquito Coast -- I really tried to like it but found it difficult to watch (most characters are not likeable, it tends to get extremely violent). We watched one episode of "See" (apparently it does get better but it's starting so low!) There are other shows, of course, but these were the only ones that we found were interesting enough to at least try.

If you are expecting Mare of Easttown, that's extra (although for a while they had a free week -- should eventually come back).

All in all, while I was waiting for the new seasons of Ted Lasso and The Morning Show I was often wondering why I didn't cancel it for a few months -- probably, mostly, because it's the cheapest one of the bunch.
Thanks for the correction of proper name for 'Tales from the Loop'. I am quite fond of anthologies if they're well done and even better if some characters are woven into multiple stories.

As for AppleTV, I was thinking of subbing for the free week or whatever it was on Amazon Prime last week but found it too much of a hassle having to get an Apple ID or whatever it was they required.
I don't have anything apple.
I also find it hard to understand having to pay extra for some shows even if you are paying a monthly fee or am I mistaken there?

@PeppermintP,

Every so often I subscribe to Acorn for a few months when they have some new Australian shows I want to see. It's certainly good value for money.
I also subscribe to Gem Premium which is even better value for money ( for me, anyway) I find they have a really good library.
I wish I could have watched Five Bedrooms on one of the streaming companies rather than having to FF commercials.

361 - 380 of 412 Posts