Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
321 - 340 of 361 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
Coherence (Amazon Prime)

Synopsis: A passing comet turns a casual dinner party with friends into a nightmarish evening of not-so-quantum probabilities.

Comments: Thanks to its interesting premise, steady pacing and appropriately short run-time, this low-budget, shaky-cam and very chatty sci-fi/suspense/drama flick was actually a decent watch.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
City Homicide (Prime Video)
Australian police procedural about an Australian homicide detective squad. Comes off as a mix of British and gritty US police procedurals. Decent acting and writing make this an enjoyable watch for fans of police detective shows. It's as good or better than most US shows but without the systemic racism and police whitewashing that pervades many of them.

·
Registered
259 Posts
City Homicide (Prime Video)
Australian police procedural about an Australian homicide detective squad. Comes off as a mix of British and gritty US police procedurals. Decent acting and writing make this an enjoyable watch for fans of police detective shows. It's as good or better than most US shows but without the systemic racism and police whitewashing that pervades many of them.
I really enjoyed City Homicide, if you like it you would probably enjoy Rush too, another Australian series which I watched on Prime but it seems to have gone now.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Started season one of The ER, 9 episodes in so far, doubt I will get through the entire series.
It's interesting comparing the clothing in 1995 to what is being worn today.
No skinny jeans just beautifully cut trousers etc.

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
Who Killed Sara? (Netflix)

Per Wiki:
The series follows Álex Guzmán, who, after spending 18 years in prison for a crime he did not commit, is hellbent on finding out who killed his sister Sara and getting revenge on the Lazcano family who wronged him.
This Mexican "mystery thriller" is soap-opera cheezy and so laughably bad (overall writing and acting) it's actually entertaining. Well, IMO. My wife disagrees and so, after only three episodes, we're moving on to something (hopefully) better. :)

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #326 ·
The Commuter (Netflix)

Synopsis: Ex-cop and recently laid-off insurance salesman Michael MacCauley is approached by a stranger on his train commute home and asked to do something small in exchange for a substantial sum of money. Intially he resists the temptation, but curiosity gets the better of him...and triggers a maelstrom of intrigue, danger and death that threatens to destroy him and his family.

Comments: The movie started off well and moved along at a pretty good clip, but got very silly during the final act. Not one of Neeson's better flicks, but it was watchable.

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 · (Edited)
Jolt (Amazon Prime) (n)

Synopsis: Not even the special vest she uses to control her Intermittent Explosive Disorder is going to keep Lindy from wreaking vengeance on the people who have wronged her.

Comments: I had very low expectations for this movie...and it failed to meet them. Everything about it - story, dialogue, characters, even the obligatory car chase - felt low-rent and amateurish. What a shocking mess.

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 ·
The Vault (Netflix) (n)

Synopsis: A genius engineering student is recruited by a marine salvage expert to help him and his team retrieve a set of ancient coins - the keys to a fabled treasure hoard - confiscated by the Spanish government and locked in an ultra-secure vault beneath the Bank of Spain.

Comments: This paint-by-numbers heist flick was laughably ridiculous in the third act and only highly-mediocre at best. Freddie Highmore may be a good doctor but he was a poor casting choice for this movie.

·
Registered
259 Posts
After bingeing through first two seasons of The ER, I needed a change of pace.
Watched first two episodes of Atypical and will stick with it at least for the first season.
I'm finding it well done and Jennifer Jason Leigh is a bonus.
Only 8 episodes in first season and I think they run for around 38minutes.
On Netflix, Sam is on the autism spectrum and decides it's time to try dating.

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #330 · (Edited)
The Innocent (El Inocente) (Netflix)

This Spanish series - based on a Harlen Coben novel - is ostensibly about bland Mateo "Mat" Vidal, whose story arc consumes the better part of the first and last episodes, but IMO it's really about some of the other and far more interesting characters (Olivia, Lorena, Teo, Emma and Kimmy) and their intertwining stories. Thankfully the bulk of series was dedicated to them but, even then, it was a bit of a slog thanks to bland Mat, to some bad - and occasionally outright ridiculous - writing and to the uneven pacing (which ranged from draggingly slow to exploding with exposition and action). Not sure if there's a second season in the works, but one season was more than enough for me and my wife. :)

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 ·
Beckett (Netflix) (n)

Synopsis: After suffering a vehicular mishap while in Greece, an American tourist-turned-fugitive inexplicably finds himself on the wrong side of a political crisis and the target of several would-be assassins.

Comments: This was a truly awful film that looked, sounded and felt like a chintzy 1970s B movie, complete with weak story, bad writing, wooden acting and a terrible score.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
ClickBait Netflix
This is an 8 episode series starting with a video of a guy posted on the Internet who will die once the video is viewed 5 million times. Its actually pretty good with lots of twists and turns in the plot. Its set in the US but filmed in Australian so its fun watching for mistakes. Worth the watch.

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #333 ·
The Old Ways (Netflix) 🤮(n)

Synopsis: While on assignment in Mexico, a young Mexican-American reporter estranged from her village and culture is forced to undergo a ritual exorcism that will expel the evil spirit which has possessed her...and may also help her find her way home.

Comments: This astoundingly lame piece of cinematic garbage is easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Watched the live Unite 150(1) Manitoba anniversary concert special last night, streaming from SHAW Park in Winnipeg.
6:30 - 12:30 of very well produced TV...both sound and picture, with only a couple of audio hiccups.
Bachman/Cummings, Tom Cochran and Tom Jackson were all highlights for me.
All the talent was homegrown and apparently the entire day was recorded...so expect a bluray in the future.
It's too bad that Bell/MTS limited the Streaming to within Manitoba.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just finished the 4th and last season of Atypical on Netflix.
I really enjoyed the series and by the end of it, I had come to really like all the characters. Can't say that to often.
I would definitely recommend people giving it a go, it wasn't quite what I was expecting and much better for it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am beginning to watch Season 1 of Lucifer again on Netflix and Season 1 of A Million Little Things on Stacktv. I am also going to stream Clickbait on Netflix.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Watching Borgen and recently got to the part where they are discussing pulling out of Afghanistan. What excellent timing on our part getting to S2 when we did :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Watching Borgen and recently got to the part where they are discussing pulling out of Afghanistan. What excellent timing on our part getting to S2 when we did :)
Borgen is such a great series. I watched all 3 series a few years ago when it was aired on TVO. I also started re-watching season 1 on Netflix. Netflix announced production of season 4 when they picked up the series. It is scheduled for sometime in 2022. I remember reading that the writers were given a much longer time period to write each episode than what is allotted for any series in the US or UK, which explains why there is so much packed into each episode.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am beginning to watch Season 1 of Lucifer again on Netflix and Season 1 of A Million Little Things on Stacktv. I am also going to stream Clickbait on Netflix.
A Million Little Things is one of my favourite shows, it's one of the few shows where all the characters are likeable.
At least I find them so.
I do hope you are enjoying it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A Million Little Things is one of my favourite shows, it's one of the few shows where all the characters are likeable.
At least I find them so.
I do hope you are enjoying it.
I am enjoying A Million Little Things a lot. I am now going to stream Episode 1 of Season 2. It is becoming one of my favorite shows.

321 - 340 of 361 Posts