Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
281 - 300 of 323 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
Detective Pikachu - Aided by Pikachu, his estranged father's detective partner and Lucy, an aspiring investigative journalist, Tim Goodman investigates his dad's disappearance and the mysterious and sinister goings-on in Ryme City and at megacorp Clifford Industries.

Comments: Pikachu was cute and Ryan Reynolds' wisecracking was par for the course, but the rest of the movie (story, characters, dialogue) ranged from weak to awful.

(n)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Watched 'Upright' an Australian odd couple,on the road dramedy on CBC Gem.
8X25 minute series with Tim Minchin and Milly Alcock.
Absolutely loved it and watched first 6 episodes in one night, did that thinking there were only 6 episodes.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Watched "In My Skin", 5 part BBC series coming of age 5 part series on CBC Gem.
Highly recommend this series, it's both funny and sad.
Just found out there will be a second series.
Am finding Gem well worth the 5$ a month.

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
The Woman In the Window - Dr. Anna Fox - an alcoholic, medicated and agoraphobic voyeuse - witnesses the murder of her new neighbour, Jane Russell. Given her personal demons and the fact that Jane appears to be alive and well, convincing the police that a murder did occur is going to be a lot harder - and a lot more dangerous - than expected.

Comments: Despite a slightly soft ending, this was a terrific, slow-burning thriller with a solid story, a satisfying climax and a typically wonderful performance by Amy Adams (one of my favourite actresses).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Finally started watching first season of The Crown on Netflix. Am liking it a lot more than I had expected but find I can't watch more than two episodes at a time.
There's just too much to take in.
So far have watched 4 episodes.
Not sure I will keep going until I finish season 4. Might be one of those shows you need a break between seasons.

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 · (Edited)
The Girl With All the Gifts - To a small group of survivors in a world ravaged by a parasitic fungus that has transformed most of humanity into the undead, young Melanie - a bright and personable second-generation infectee - represents hope for a better future. What shape that future will take remains to be seen.

Comments: The first two-thirds of this slow-but-steady movie were interesting and enjoyable. And then it ground to a "meh". Pity. Terrific performance by Sennia Nanua.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
The Mandalorian on Disney+. Basically a bounty hunter flick updated for the Star Wars post Galactic Empire universe. It's an entertaining action series with good special effects that is tied together by a central plot and lightened somewhat by humour. The writing and acting are generally superior to the latter Star Wars movies but it still suffers from a few believability flaws due to some plot and character issues. It's worth watching despite the Star Wars inspired flaws and a must see for Star Wars fans.

The Mandalorian also worth watching for the 4K Dolby Vision video and Dolby Atmos audio quality which are quite good despite some evidence that it does not fully meet Dolby Vision and HDR standards.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Devils - A friend of mine in the UK put me on to this series. Its about investment bankers in the previous decade and how they controlled various world events. It has an international flavour, is exciting, and very believable. A good watch. Its on demand on the W Network in Canada.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
The Mandalorian on Disney+. Basically a bounty hunter flick updated for the Star Wars post Galactic Empire universe.
It reminded me a lot of those old TV Western serials they used to show on Saturday mornings, best exemplified by "Have Gun - Will Travel".

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
The entire Star Wars franchise is a cornucopia of recycled characters and stories from other movies and history. The original Star Wars movie was said by George Lucas himself to be inspired by a Japanese movie by Akira Kurosawa called The Hidden Fortress. The Mandalorian character has similarities to a Kurosawa's Samurai character that appeared in several of his movies. Several westerns made by Clint Eastwood, in which he played the man with no name, were based on the same character played by Toshiro Mifune. Star Wars appears to draw a lot on both Kurosawa's movies and various westerns. Part of the fun of watching Star Wars is trying to guess where the inspiration for the plots and characters originated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Devils - A friend of mine in the UK put me on to this series. Its about investment bankers in the previous decade and how they controlled various world events. It has an international flavour, is exciting, and very believable. A good watch. Its on demand on the W Network in Canada.
I just read last week that season 2 is currently being shot in Europe. A similar series Bad Banks is on CBC Gem. It is a German series that I have been slowly watching, it but I am having problems streaming anything with commercials these days ( they seem to be getting more plentiful on CBC Gem). I refuse to pay, as I already subscribe to so may others.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Got around to watching Yellowstone on the Prime app on my smart TV. Season 3 seams to be in 4K.....looks great. Audio is still pro logic.
I finished the first 3 seasons of this last week. I really enjoyed this show. Looking forward to season 4. I think it’s suppose to be out this summer sometime. I read somewhere it is going to be on Paramount

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
Black Box - Struggling to get his life together after a traumatic car accident, an amnesiac agrees to undergo an experimental treatment to recover and restore the memories buried deep in his subconscious mind...if all goes well.

Comments: Despite the low-budget feel, the first half of this movie was actually pretty decent. Then it hit a twist which, though interesting, set the second half of the movie on an unstoppable downward slide. Too bad.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Watched first half of season 3 of Kominsky Method, will finish tonight.
It's too bad it had such short seasons, I have enjoyed it so much.
I do hope Michael Douglas makes more tv series soon.
Oh, it's on Netflix.

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
400 Days (Amazon Prime)

Synopsis: Four aspiring astronauts undertake an isolated, 400-day-long space-flight simulation in an underground bunker, only to discover that the enemy is not within.

Comments: This low-budget flick had potential, but roughly half-way through its 90-minute run time it started to get silly and didn't stop until it was completely stupid. What a piece of [email protected]

(n)

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
After Life (Netflix TV series) - We just finished Season 2 and, wow, what a disappointment. :( (n)

It was a complete backslide from the end of the first season, with Tony constantly indulging himself - and others - in his misery; with characters (particularly the psychiatrist) pointlessly more crass than before; and with a truly disappointing ending (Emma inexplicably accepting Tony's dismal "Groundhog Day" relationship offer).

We won't be watching Season 3.

281 - 300 of 323 Posts