Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

241 - 260 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Last night I watched first episode of Flack on Amazon Prime, was looking to fill in an hour.
They talk really fast but it kept my interest so will watch the rest of the series.
Really like Anna Paquin.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 · (Edited)
Just finished "Imposters". Season 1 was good. Season 2, not so much: It started off slow (with Maddy sidelined and not much interesting going on in Mexico), picked up in the middle (the return of Sally was a high point) and ended with a 'meh'. Given that they seemed to be going entirely in the wrong direction with the characters, I'm good with Season 3 being axed.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 · (Edited)
Scotch: A Golden Dream (Amazon Prime Video) - This was an interesting look at the crafting of Scotch whiskey and the career of Master Distiller Jim McEwan. It was informative (I didn't know Islay was pronounced Eye-la) and entertaining (plenty of anecdotes, some of them quite funny) and set in a beautiful Scottish landscape.

It was 85 minutes well spent. :) (y)

·
Super Moderator
11,167 Posts
We just started Frontier on Netflix. Only 2 episodes in but we are both enjoyed it, especially considering the last time I thought about the fur trade was in a middle school history class. o_O

There's money to be made in the fur trade in the 1700s, which is why Declan Harp is trying to get a piece of it. The outlaw trapper is leading a campaign to breach the Hudson's Bay Company's monopoly on fur in Canada.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Glass - David Dunn and The Beast are captured and confined in the same mental institute as Mr. Glass. Dr. Ellie Stapler will attempt to disabuse each of them of his belief that he is comic-book superhuman. Sounds easy enough...but comic-book endings can be so unpredictable.

Comments: It wasn't as good or enjoyable as "Split", but it was a decent-enough conclusion to a decent-enough trilogy.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ran through Firefly Lane on Netflix in 3 nights, I must have enjoyed it.
Last night I started on Season 1 of Snowpiercer on Netflix, watched first two episodes and will stick with it until I finish both seasons.
Unfortunately, I did wake up a few times during the night thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Honest Thief - A year after falling in love with Annie, Tom Dolan - a former Marine, bomb expert and bank robber - wants to go straight. But his attempt to turn himself in to the FBI and get a reduced sentence in exchange for returning all the stolen loot goes sideways when a couple of crooked agents steal the cash, off one of their own and pin the murder on Dolan. Tom needs to clear his name and it won't be easy. Luckily, he has a very particular set of skills.

Comments: This was a perfectly-average, easy-to-watch, paint-by-numbers action flick that moved along at a steady pace and featured a really cute little dog. :)

·
Registered
9,512 Posts
The Fargo TV series on Netflix. Missed this the first time around but became interested after seeing season 4 on FX. The first 3 seasons on Netflix are even more enjoyable due to the lack of ads and being able to watch at my own pace. This series is identifiable as a Coen brothers production due to its quirky characters and offbeat plots that always entertain.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 · (Edited)
Run - Chloe - a wheelchair-bound rural dweller - suspects that her mother's love for her isn't as pure as it seems.

Comments: Although this thriller/drama could have benefitted from better writing and acting, it was decent enough and the relatively-brief run time (~90m) and brisk pace made it an easy watch.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 · (Edited)
Pieces Of a Woman - The loss of their child shortly after home-birth slowly tears Martha and Sean apart, while her relationship with her mother, Elizabeth, is increasingly strained by the latter's insistence on punishing the midwife in court - a move she feels is Martha's only avenue to closure.

Comments: The story was small; the pacing, though steady, was slow; and the run-time was at least 20 minutes too long. But the characters were interesting, the acting was solid and the movie had some powerful and moving moments. Overall, it was a good drama.

·
Registered
195 Posts
US-BBC 4 part series with Saksia Reeves and Tom Hollander.
Watched first two episodes last night, it's lovely to see such beautiful scenery in the time of Covid.
Forgot to say it is on CBC Gem.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Seems like there are 6 parts in the BBC series Us for Canada. I am assuming this is due to each episode being shortened to @ 44minutes to allow for commercials.
The originals were 59minutes long.
Glad that they didn't just chop 15 minutes of each episode also glad Gem Premium is commercial free.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Seems like there are 6 parts in the BBC series Us for Canada. I am assuming this is due to each episode being shortened to @ 44minutes to allow for commercials.
The originals were 59minutes long.
Glad that they didn't just chop 15 minutes of each episode also glad Gem Premium is commercial free.
I agree that it is much better to increase the episodes rather than edit the content. BBC is totally commercial free, so I am always suspect when the shows are aired here in hour segments. There is another new series, Miss Scarlett & the Duke, now on CBC Gem that i really enjoyed on PBS a few months ago. I am rewatching it again on CBC. Miss Scarlett is quite a handful and totally exasperating for her friend The Duke. If you haven't already seen it, give it a look.

·
Registered
195 Posts
@PeppermintP,

Thanks for the tip, have added Miss Scarlett and the Duke to my watchlist. I've been waiting for Amazon to get season 3 of Tin Star with Tim Roth but it's starting to look like they won't be getting it.
It was shown in England last December and it's already out on dvd in some places.

·
Registered
9,512 Posts
Chances are season 3 of Tin Star will show up on Amazon in a few months. For TV shows, DVD release usually trails initial airings by several months.Then streaming services and premium TV services usually trail DVDs by a few months. That's obviously not true if the programming was made for a streaming service or there are other partnerships or agreements in place.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Watched 'Grandma' with Lily Tomlin and Julia Garner, I never get tired of watching these actors.
Streamed from Amazon.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 · (Edited)
Godzilla: King Of the Monsters - The Titans have been revived to bring balance to the force, but on Playground Earth there's room for only one King...and Ghidorah is it. But Godzilla will get by - and claim the crown - with a little help from his friends.

Comments: This was a truly spectacular piece of CGI-rich, cliché-stuffed, cinematic [email protected]

(n)

241 - 260 of 282 Posts