Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 2281 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Richard Travale said:
Just finished watching the DC of Chronicles of Riddick.
I have to say that this movie is a real guilty pleasure for me.
PQ and SQ on my Toshiba 42H81 and 5.1 set up was very good.
I really liked Pitch Black.

Is this as good for a fan ?

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I'm firing up Riddick on my 95" screen this weekend. It will be very very loud and it will be fun! :D

And next week will be Harry Potter. I love this season when it comes to movie rental. ;)

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just picked up Chronicles of Riddick myself. Loved the movie, thought it was a very good follow up to Pitch Black and the Riddick character.

·
Registered
777 Posts
filper said:
I really liked Pitch Black.

Is this as good for a fan ?
You know what? I never saw Pitch Black. :(
I knew a little about the plot of Pitch Black so I was more than able to get the PB references though.
From what I've read, COR is stylistically very different from PB.
I'll be renting PB pretty soon so then I'll be able to say whether COR is good for a PB fan or not. ;)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Watched 'Dr. Stangelove' last evening. First viewing since it was originally released many moons ago. Will do a second viewing soon to catch what we're sure we missed with this one, and to view the extras. Peter Sellers and George C. Scott were sure good in their respective roles. Glad we caught this new release and gave it a view.

·
Premium Member
9,214 Posts
Das Boot: The Director's Cut - Well, I finally got around to watching the godfather of all submarine movies. While it's not as full of car chases...I mean, submarine chases as its heroic American counterparts, it's gritty and, presumably, much more realistic. I did find it to be a bit long (3-1/2 hours), but it did have some tremendous moments (especially the completely unexpected ending) and it is worth a viewing, particularly if you enjoy this genre of film.

Chasing Amy - A fairly straightforward, but not simplistic, relationship flick by writer-director Kevin "Silent Bob" Smith. His movies may be somewhat unorthodox, but they're generally pretty good.

The Stepford Wives: - Nicole Kidman may be easy on the eyes but the movie is mediocre bordering on boring.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
quote-Nicole Kidman may be easy on the eyes but the movie is mediocre bordering on boring.

I may be the only male I know that isn't turned on by Nicole Kidman.

She has probably always spoken very highly of me, so I'll say I guess she's just not my type.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
eljay said:
Das Boot: The Director's Cut - Well, I finally got around to watching the godfather of all submarine movies. While it's not as full of car chases...I mean, submarine chases as its heroic American counterparts, it's gritty and, presumably, much more realistic. I did find it to be a bit long (3-1/2 hours), but it did have some tremendous moments (especially the completely unexpected ending) and it is worth a viewing, particularly if you enjoy this genre of film.
3 1/2 hours. You were watching the short version. The full version is 5 hours. Were you watching the SB version?

·
Premium Member
9,214 Posts
The short version is the original 2-1/2 hour movie and, having watched the 3-1/2 hour director's cut, I can see where they could easily have cut 0.5-1.0 hour out of the film. I honestly can't imagine watching the full five-hour version, especially not in one sitting. (Perhaps it's not even meant to be watched that way, especially if what I read about it is true - namely that it was originally conceived as a television mini-series.)

I wasn't watching the SB version, just the regular "Director's Cut" DVD, which still features some pretty impressive DD5.1 audio. I watched it in German with English subtitles. (I'm a big fan of die Deutsche sprache.)

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Yup, it was a 6 hour German tv series (5 hours + 1 hour of commercials). It would be pretty hard to watch it in one sitting but it's worth watchng. The SB version is still probably the best version. Hopefully this will be an early HD DVD release.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
One of these rainy days I'll have to fetch my still unviewed copy (SB release) of 'Das Boot' and give it a view -- you guys have stirred my interest.

Re-visited Atom Egoyan's 'The Sweet Hereafter' Sat eve. Of what I've seen of Egoyan's movies (two others), I think this is his best. Suspect I should find Russell Bank's novel -- I'm sure a read would add to a fuller understanding of the movie and Egoyan's interpretation, etc. A beautiful film, difficult story, well-acted.

·
Registered
133 Posts
buritto said:
I'm watching the 3rd season of the West Wing...man I love this show. I've seen a few episodes here and there over the years and I refuse to watch anymore until I see them ALL in order ;)

And Hanibal, I can't belive you haven't seen Band of Brothers yet...shame on you ;)

Almost done. I watched the 9th episode, "Why We Fight" last night and it ripped my heart out. I didn't think anything on film would ever stir me like that but this episode really got to me.
Hard to believe it's been almost a lifetime since this atrocity. We can't forget.

·
Registered
133 Posts
johnp'in'bc said:
One of these rainy days I'll have to fetch my still unviewed copy (SB release) of 'Das Boot' and give it a view -- you guys have stirred my interest.

Re-visited Atom Egoyan's 'The Sweet Hereafter' Sat eve. Of what I've seen of Egoyan's movies (two others), I think this is his best. Suspect I should find Russell Bank's novel -- I'm sure a read would add to a fuller understanding of the movie and Egoyan's interpretation, etc. A beautiful film, difficult story, well-acted.
That was a great movie, and it put Russell Banks on my to-read list. I haven't read anything by him yet but Affliction is supposed to be quite good.
I have a reading list as long as my arm. I'll get to him one of these days :)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I just finished watching a quirky little Canadian movie, The Delicate Art of Parking. It's a "mockumentary" about the trials and tribulations of parking enforcement officers. Some funny moments. Definitely low budget.

But, like many releases of Canadian movies on dvd, Lions Gate has given this one short shrift, as it's non-anamorphic widescreen. I've noticed this kind of substandard treatment of many Canadian movies; they're released as 4X3 or non-anamorphic (ie. Kitchen Party, waydowntown, The Rhino Brothers). The studios complain we ignore Canadian movies, then they don't exactly invite us to give them a chance by giving us cheap, dumbed-down dvd transfers. Shame.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
The Terminal - See review on Terminal thread.

Minority Report - Hadn't watched this in awhile. Loved it again. Call me a sucker for Spielberg.

The Stepford Wives - I didn't watch it, but I hear the set and costume design was very well done. Movie was okay I hear.

Animal House (VHS Version) - Hilarious. Especially when I'm in College, and only wish half of this stuff actually happened when I was around. Too bad Belushi couldn't control himself, because he is absolutly hysterical.

·
Registered
375 Posts
COR will definitely be adding to my collection. I already have PB. I picked up Van Helsing and Walking Tall at Blockbuster for 10 bucks a pop. Also got a few classics from Amazon. Stephen King's The Stand, War Of The Worlds and John Wayne's last movie, The Shootist. I've waited a long time to get this one on DVD.

41 - 60 of 2281 Posts