Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2241 - 2260 of 2285 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
The Jungle Book - The evil Shere Khan drives Mowgli away from his wolf pack and into a world of adventures, but upon hearing that Khaaaannn!!! has killed Akela, the pack leader, Mowgli returns to avenge his death.

Comments: The story was "meh" and Mowgli was occasionally irritating, but both the CGI and Sethi's performance were impressive.

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Kung Fu Panda 3 - In addition to re-connecting with his long-lost father and rediscovering his panda-ness, Po - the Dragon Warrior - must master ch'i in order to defeat Kai, a Spirit Warrior who has returned from the Spirit Realm in order to conquer the world.

Comments: The animation was beautiful (score an extra point for that) and the overall story - though overly-busy at times - was alright. Unfortunately, the movie failed take Po's advice so we weren't spared the excessive chit-chat. KFP3 falls behind KFP2, which falls behind the most-excellent original.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've seen The Believer (2001) the other day. Ryan Gosling was pretty young in that movie. And Summer Phoenix was really really pretty. I'm not going into the story here. It's about religion, that all I'm mentioning here.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Started to watch Die Hard series. Watched two so far, Die Hard (1988) and Die Hard 2 (1990). Just have a little question about it. What in the world Chandler Bing and Joey Tribbiani from Friends (1994-2004) find in these movies?

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
The Visit - Budding videographers Becca and Tyler are sent by their mother on a week-long, shaky-cam visit to her estranged parents' house. Nana and Pop Pop seem nice enough at first...and then things get weird.

Comments: If it was M. Night Shyamalan's intent to make a comedic horror-suspense flick for pre-teens that was mildly entertaining and had a lame ending, he succeeded.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I watched K-PAX (2001) last night. Both Kevin Spacey and Jeff Bridges had done well in that movie. There was a scene were Kevin Spacey ate a whole banana (with it's peels and all). It was really something, I couldn't stop laughing seeing his expressions while he was eating it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I found a collection of Iranian films from someone. Watched "The moment of Innocent (1996)" last night, really a great movie. I liked it. And the girl was really innocent looking.

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Moonlight - A quiet young black man grows up struggling with his sexual identity and dealing with the fallout from his mother's drug addiction.

Comments: Not much dialogue and even less story, and it wasn't until well into the second act that the movie started to get interesting. A couple of good performances notwithstanding, I'm not really sure what the Oscar fuss was about. That said, it was considerably better - and better paced - than "Manchester By the Sea" (although that's damning it with faint praise).

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial - After being inadvertently stranded on Earth, a diminutive alien befriends a young boy and his siblings and devises a way to send a signal to his ship. Will his people be able to rescue him before illness or government agents get the better of him?

Comments: In early 2017, thirty-five years after I first saw this movie, I finally watched it again. Despite its weaknesses, it had some charming moments and featured good performances by its young leads (Thomas and Barrymore).

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Miss Sloane - Elizabeth Sloane is a brilliant, ruthless and successful Washington lobbyist who prides herself on remaining one step ahead of her adversaries. But her decision to abandon her powerful pro-gun lobby firm and join a smaller firm pushing for stricter gun registration legislation puts her in the crosshairs of powerful political enemies who won't hesitate to do whatever it takes to silence the outspoken Miss Sloane.

Comments: This was a slick, intriguing, well-acted and well-paced political drama featuring a very solid performance by the talented Jessica Chastain.

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Hook - In order to reclaim his kidnapped children, Peter Banning - an irritable, workaholic lawyer - is transported to Neverland where he must revert to the Peter Pan of his youth and engage his nemesis in a final battle.

Comments: Decent bits of story - and a strong performance by Hoffman as Hook - smothered in hokeyness and kid-friendly cutesiness. I won't be watching it again.

2241 - 2260 of 2285 Posts