Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
WD Live box

Wonder why Costco stopped selling these, went to get another yesterday and they don't carry them aanymore, to bad

·
Super Moderator
11,116 Posts
Not sure. I ended up updating mine. Figured I could roll-back if I needed. It worked well. I am liking the shortcuts. Not sure if it was there before but I like it. Also, having the weather widget on the main screen now.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I remember updating mine a little while back and I have noticed that I need to unplug the power once in a while. If I don't, it's painfully slow to browse the network shares and gives me a low memory error and won't play videos.

My neighbour has one on her 25Mbit internet service and is often complaining that her Netflix stops working. Netflix will stop playing a video in the middle and give an error saying something about the stream not being available. I've tested it here, seems to work fine so I've suggested she call Shaw and have her service checked.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I remember updating mine a little while back and I have noticed that I need to unplug the power once in a while.
Same. I actually put the most used WDTV we have on a Wemo plug switch so I can just cycle it's power every 24 hours OR manually pop it off when it crashes. I use it for slingplayer and when the WDTV crashes, I can't power it off with the remote. Have to get up and unplug it. Wemo solved that. :-D

·
Super Moderator
11,116 Posts
OK good. So I am not the only one that pulls the power on regular intervals.

About once every two weeks.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I do the same with mine.
I assume you mean unplug it? Have you found unplugging it resolves issues with Netflix cutting out or is that purely an internet problem? My neighbour will be able to go a couple of weeks without any issues, then all of a sudden half way through a movie it'll lose the stream and bounce her back to the title selection screen, where she's unable to play another video until rebooting the device.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
99.99% of the time it is the WD memory leak issue. The new youtube app is the worst. I can watch 1 maybe 2 then BAM! reboot.

It's because these issues I've ordered a Nexus Player.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
I assume you mean unplug it? Have you found unplugging it resolves issues with Netflix cutting out or is that purely an internet problem? My neighbour will be able to go a couple of weeks without any issues, then all of a sudden half way through a movie it'll lose the stream and bounce her back to the title selection screen, where she's unable to play another video until rebooting the device.
Yes, I reboot mine too often. Will have to take a look at the Nexus player.

·
Super Moderator
11,116 Posts
Toon Goggles locks mine up. Every. Single. Time.

OK I just retried TG (thinking it just needed more time to load) and it just sits there with the logo on the screen. At least I was able to back out to the main screen.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
My neighbour called me again last night because her Netflix was wonky.

The coax splitter is attached directly to the wallplate, with the wallplate sandwiched between the splitter input and coax feed connector which was somewhat loose.

I tightened it up with a spanner and put it back in the wall. Hopefully this solves some of her problems. She's 70 and getting frustrated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use my WDTV for all my media server needs - I have attached storage and watch movies that way. I use my PS3 for Netflix streaming as I always have found the Netflix client on my WDTV "lacking".

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I remember updating mine a little while back and I have noticed that I need to unplug the power once in a while. If I don't, it's painfully slow to browse the network shares and gives me a low memory error and won't play videos.
I downgraded the firmware to 2.01.86 and so far the player seems pretty stable.

Old firmware can be found here: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center,-wd-tv-live

·
Super Moderator
11,116 Posts
Last week (running the latest firmware) I actually got a message saying the WD TV was critically low on memory and to reboot. This was after sitting idle for a week. I put up with this nonsense but jeez WD this is the official firmware and it has been many months already.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I've had the memory error too. Usually crops up when browsing network shares. It will be painfully slow browsing directories and responding to the remote, then the error appears.

Roll back the firmware as described above. I believe the memory leak issue was introduced in the latest FW.

I did my neighbour's too, so I'll let you know if her Netflix issues resolve.

One thing to note is that after it installs and does its final reboot, it will hang on a blank screen for ages. After 30 minutes I gave up waiting and cycled the A/C power and it booted right up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
newbie post - configuring WD TVlive 3rd gen with PIA

I have recently signed up for Privacy Internet Access. I have a WD TVLive attached to a Sagemcon 2864 (Fibe connection hub, I have fibe internet and IPTV using FTTN). I also have a ATV3 connected to the Sagemcon via a switch which also has a number of other items connected to it like a blu ray player.
I am looking for the best way of configuring either the ATV3 or WD TVLive to switch from Canadian to US Netflix and to access Hulu.
A number of threads here suggest changing the DNS servers on the Sagemcon to ones offered by PIA. However, others suggest that this will not work......so I am a bit confused.
I have configured my computer system (Win7HomePro 64bit, ethernet attached to the Sagemcom) and have successfully used PIA to mask my IP address when downloading torrents using uTorrent.
Anyone out there using PIA to mask their IP address and successfully accessed US Netflix or Hulu? If you have, can you provide me with some instructions for configuring either the ATV3 or the WD TVLive.

many thanks

101 - 120 of 132 Posts