Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

·
Registered
95 Posts
You are absolutely right ! This unit is brand new. Solve the problem of the usb port. Couldn't find any store that sell this except $129.99 at WD web store though. It is $40 more than the Live Plus. I am not sure I will go for this. As indicated at my original question, I would like to find out what kind of material I can get streaming on line without subscription.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In Canada, I believe only Netflix as a major subscription.

I bought the unit at Best Buy. Future Shop also have them in stock. Nice update over the 2009 model I owned. Other than AccuWeather and YouTube which worked I can not confirm if the other services worked here in Canada.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thank you Boo...
Just check BB site and they have it in stock. It is only $20 more than the Live Plus. Guess I'll get this (hopefully it would have a sale sometimes before X'mas) although I would not use this streaming feature much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
WDTV Live 3rd. Gen at Costco

Hi,

I just picked one of these up at costco for $94. Cannot open until xmas tho! :(

I think I am reading the info correctly that with the 3rd. gen box and a non canadian VPN I should be able to access netflix and Hulu on this equipment. Can anyone confirm this for me.

Nice deal at Costco BTW if true. Also comes with HDMI cable.

·
Registered
95 Posts
hi lucrob. which costco did you get this ? went to markham branch an hour ago. they do not have them except lots of live plus.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
Found them at Costco Etobicoke on the Queensway between Royal York and Islington. They had lots as of last weekend.

And yes this 3rd gen WDTV live includes Netflx and Hulu, etc. They (WD) are currently selling two models. WDTV Live and WDTV Live Hub. No more confusing Live. Live Plus, etc...

Model # on my packaging is WDBHG70000NBK-NECS. The "NECS" references adding the HDMI cable and Costco packaging. Check the WD site this is the latest model.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Got mine today from Costco in Heartland Center, Mississauga (Britania/Mavis). They had them stacked right beside Logitech keyboards, and DVD-Rs. $94.99.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just picked one up from memory express (99.00) and found it a little frustrating to setup until I updated the firmware manually (Although I had internet access it said there was no connection for a remote update). I got it to replace my O!Play HD2, which was freezing up lately, and after I finally tweaked it to my liking, I found it to be a superior device. The menu layout, browsing speed and online features blow the Asus completely out of the water.

That limp sync adjust is the shiz too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I found that my unit shows pinkish pixels in the dark areas that usually are a sign of a bad cable connection. After trying a bunch of different HDMI cables the issue has not disappeared, so I'm going to Costco and exchange for another unit.

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
It looks like it just hasn't been included for the Live Streaming player yet. I have no idea why. I know that it is only on the latest firmware for the Live Plus, but I found too many problems with that firmware in my setup. They'll likely add it in an upcoming firmware.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New Firmaware and iOS App

Downloaded the new firmware today & also did a "restore to factory settings" because of all the new changes. Also downloaded the WD Remote app. Nice to have this on your iPhone. The keyboard is useful.

No issues so far... ;)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is the forum for...
Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player
Not the Streaming Player or Live Plus.... right?
Yes, it's for the new "streaming player" which is also called WD TV Live (same name as the one I bought a couple of years ago).

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hi,

I just picked one of these up at costco for $94. Cannot open until xmas tho! :(

I think I am reading the info correctly that with the 3rd. gen box and a non canadian VPN I should be able to access netflix and Hulu on this equipment. Can anyone confirm this for me.

Nice deal at Costco BTW if true. Also comes with HDMI cable.
How would you connect this to a VPN? Through your router?

Thanks,
Congo

·
Registered
15 Posts
picked up one of these on boxing day. everything is working great except for when using this device the hdmi seems to cut out or the tv is adjusting the refresh rate (i think). the tv is a sharp lc-46d85u and the screen goes blank, audio cuts out, and the box in the top right corner pops up with the input name and shows 1080p.

i have tried different inputs on the tv and two different hdmi cables. i have no idea what is causing this. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts