Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mom asked me if there are any headphones that one person can watch TV with the headphones on and another to watch with just the regular TV speakers.
My father's hearing isn't the best and the TV must be turned up to the point that my Mom can't stand it.
TV...Panasonic TAU PT47x54
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
There are "amplifier headphones" available (Radio Shack have them). They simply listen to the same sound as you do, but then amplfy it. I think they're about $60 or so. I don't know how good they are.

There may be better ones at other stores.

How about appropriate hearing aid(s) for your dad? The new ones are really excellent and subsidized to some extent if I recall. My dad finally got a pair after many years. They take a bit of getting used to, just like glasses, but once you're used to them, you wonder how you ever got along without.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Good (sound) advice from 57.

dreameral ... my sister-in-law could/would surely sympathize with your Mom. In her case, it was my brother turning the tv and radio up too loud to compensate for his failing hearing. I know he thought about getting headphones, but eventually did what 57 said his Father did, and got a hearing aid. It's worked well for him too, and it certainly has brought "peace to the house" as well!! ;)

·
Registered
896 Posts
I bought my mother a pair of wireless Sennheisers at FS. She loves them. More detail, clearer dialogue at normal listening levels. When she wants to crank the volume, no one else is affected.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He actually has hearing aids...very good ones in fact. Recently, due to a stroke or something yet to be determined his hearing went south. Very weird happen in a day. the radio shack ones....can you listen to tv as well as my Dad wearing the headphones

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
If using a set-top box (sat receiver or dig. cable box), you can run the audio out into a receiver AND to the tv. Then, simply hook up headphones to the receiver and have volume control through the tv.

Or, from the headphone jack on the tv, split it, run one end into a receiver with headphones and the other into a pair of powered speakers (like most computer speakers).

Just a couple quick thoughts off the top of my head.....good luck!
Mike

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
dreameral said:
the radio shack ones....can you listen to tv as well as my Dad wearing the headphones
The RS phones are not connected to anything. They simply pick up the sound in the room and amplify it, so the answer is yes.

The other headphones mentioned require connection to a headphone outlet (with split to a receiver) or from the STB if applicable (which it doesn't sound like there is)

Or there may be connections on the back of the TV for "speakers" which can be fed to a wireless phone set (in some cases), however, most TVs turn off the internal speakers when the external speakers are used, so again, a difficult setup for "older folks".

There MAY be some audio RCA "outs" on the TV, for use with headphones that leave the speakers on...

One more option - how about using CC?

·
Registered
896 Posts
In the case of the Sennheisers I purchased, they come with a small transmitter that I connected to the "audio out" jacks on the back of the TV. The transmitter then sits atop the TV, sending audio to the headphones.

There is a volume control on the headphones. The volume of the TV speakers is not affected when the headphones are in use.

It's just a very basic set-up that works out well for a senior citizen; no HT receiver in play.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
dreameral said:
My Mom asked me if there are any headphones that one person can watch TV with the headphones on and another to watch with just the regular TV speakers.
This is precisely the situation at my parent's place. I bought my Dad a set of RCA wireless headphones and plugged them into the audio output jacks on the back of the TV with the *included* adapter. Piece of cake!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts