Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is sort of a confusing problem and I hope I can explain it. I purchased a Monoprice 4-way HDMI splitter in order to expand the number of HD TV's connected to my DCX3400 STB. At the moment I have two TV's. The livingroom TV is an LG 47LG60. The TV is also connected to a DVD player via HDMI. The second TV is a Philips 40PFL5505D. This TV is connected using a 40 foot 24 gage HDMI cable. Initially I thought everything thing worked perfectly. However, I soon discovered that when I cycle the input on the LG TV to watch the DVD, the HDMI splitter acts very strangely, almost like it's constantly resetting. When the splitter gets in this state the Philips TV actually turns on, but it complains that there no signal coming in, most likely because the splitter is resetting. It appears that the LG TV is sending out some signal over the HDMI cable connected to the splitter even though the LG TV source signal is one of the other inputs. When I put the LG TV back to the HDMI input connected to the splitter, the splitter starts working properly, and the Philips TV starts to receive the DVR signal.

I guess my question is whether or not this is a problem with the splitter or with the LG TV. Switching inputs on the Philips TV does not make the splitter act up, so it sort of seems to be a problem with the LG TV. I had sort of hoped to be able to watch the DVD on the LG TV while the second TV could watch the DVR via the splitter. At the moment that does not work at all.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
make sure all of the tv's and dvd have the hdmi sync turned off. Each manufacturer calls it different, but it allows the units to talk to each other for input selection and power control.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It is my limited understanding that TV's do send a resolution status back to the display device (PC or STB).

I have a IOGEAR 4 port splitter and the instructions state "IOGEAR’s HDMI Audio/Video Splitters have the ability to auto-downscale the display resolution to fit all displays that you have connected to the splitter.* No more hassle to setup display resolution manually from your HD media source."

I'm not sure if that is why I do not have the issue you are describing.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Even if HDMI sync is on, why is the splitter sending a signal from the LG to the Philips.

The only thing either television should receive a signal from is the Set top box (via the splitter.)

About the only way to check would be to try a different splitter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately that was my conclusion as well. I can't find any local sources for splitters so I'd have to order another one online. Not sure I want to do that until I have some more information. I did make some progress, I think. "Simplink" on the LG is definitely off, but "Easylink" on the Phillips was on. It appears that with Easylink off the Phillips no longer turns on, but the splitter still acts up when I switch inputs on the LG, so it still seems that there's some sort of signal coming from the LG's inactive HDMI port that confuses the splitter. I think I'll have to contact Monoprice, but I doubt that will help much...

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Perhaps try switching the outputs? Maybe if you use output #2 and #3 it won't happen?

·
Registered
209 Posts
One thing to try would be to connect your DVD player to the splitter and see if that works with both displays on.

There are limitations to how many displays you can have on one sender using HDMI and each manufacture is different. A good friend of mine works in the industry and tried splitting a Motorola box with a Gefen 1x2 and he was getting the same problem. He called Gefen as he thought it was their problem and they informed him that all Motorola boxes only allow for 1 display device to be connected to their units (not sure about Philips as neither him or I use them). There is a work around and products "available" to copy the codes to allow more displays but are hard to come by and some still don't work 100%.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts