Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Signed up for webcall last week and got my ATA via Purolator a few days later. I am in Kelowna BC.

The good news is that the quality of the calls I have been making all over BC and Canada has been very good. Very little if any warbling or dropouts. The person on the other end has not made any comments and cannot tell I am talking over the Internet. I am on Shaw Standard internet using a Terayon modem.

Had a few glitches on initial setup. The automatic setup disk could not talk to the Nortel ATA for some reason so I had to phone Navigata to do a manual setup. Could not get call feature setup to work but after I put the Nortel ATA outside my router and connected directly to the internet it automatically updated the firmware and now all that seems to be working ok. Other than that it works great behind my Linksys WRT54G router with the latest sveasoft firmware. Navigata technical support has been good with very little wait time.

I would have waited for Vonage to come to my area if webcall had not dropped their prices. For $16CDN a month it's cheaper than Vonage and the same as Primus for similar features. I figured that I didn't have anything to lose by trying it. I can always drop the service at any time and send the ATA back with no cancellation fees if and when Vonage comes to my area.

Right now it does everything I need except local number porting. I don't think they have any plans for that. They are the only company offering local numbers in my area right now and until someone can offer me that plus number porting I will probably stick with them.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
mustardman, thanks for the thread. Nice to hear about other providers.

·
Banned
509 Posts
any idea if they will be coming east

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm suprised they are not in Saskatchewan since that is where all my support calls are going. Not sure why they are not expanding the service. Maybe they just want to stay small for now till they get the bugs worked out. Maybe they are waiting till the market settles down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks mustardman for that update! I was using Skype while waiting for Vonage or Yak to come out with more local numbers. I'm glad I waited! Now I can get a Prince George number from Web Call and at a lower price to boot!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Webcall is waiving their service connection charge (C$49.95)!!! I'd like to think I had something to do with that after asking them about it last weekend ;) but they probably had it planned a long time ago. Anyway, that's a swell offer. I didn't want to get Webcall and lose the $50 IF it turns out that the call quality isn't good after all.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
matriarka said:
Webcall is waiving their service connection charge (C$49.95)!!! I'd like to think I had something to do with that after asking them about it last weekend ;) but they probably had it planned a long time ago. Anyway, that's a swell offer. I didn't want to get Webcall and lose the $50 IF it turns out that the call quality isn't good after all.
I don't think you have to worry about call quality. Shaw speeds kinda suck in my area but so far I can honestly say that Webcall has worked flawlessly. Perfect sound quality, zero echo, zero dropouts and warbling. Not one person has mentioned anything. I am slowly starting to forget I am phoning over the internet now and just using it like any other phone. Nice to be able to call Vancouver and Calgary whenever I want for free!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Mustardman,

How were you able to make it work behind a router? I tried that and it didn't work. It's working right now but the VOIP gateway has to be directly connected to my Shaw Terayon cable modem (and this only happened after several restarts and retries of their installation wizard). So now my router is useless. I called twice and both times I waited up to 40 minutes then just hang up after failing to get connected to a customer service rep. I was able to talk with a live person the first time I called but all he said was "we're having routing problems. I should connect you to the Navigata department." I never got connected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Works fine now with my USR8054 router. :D

I retried two setups:
(1) cable modem--router--ATA--PC (tried this because this was what the VOIP Gateway User Manual instructed)
(2) cable modem--ATA--router--PC.

Setup #2 worked after resetting the router. Setup #1 didn't work even when the router was reset.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has been working flawlessly behind my Linksys WRT54G router for over 2 weeks. I make calls all over North America now.

I even figured out a way to connect a hard or soft SIP phone or third party ATA directly without even using the Nortel ATA. Haven't had any luck getting an Asterisk PBX server to connect directly though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
web call

I had no luck with talk broadband -primus including setting up their voip system-I got my computer tech to try also no go.I than signed up for web call based in Sasckatchewan and they are just great -no losing my calls when talking on the phone,no fading of my voice for the other party on the phone and no knocking sounds on the line for the other party that I am talking to. I was having all these issues with the last voip service-Digital Voice that I was with (located in Richmond B.C.)I would definetly recommend WebCall to any one looking for a good voip phone service but keep it in mind if at any time you wish to cancel your voip service with WebCall it is going to cost you $90.00 irregardless of what your reasons may be.So if this is not acceptable to you than keep on looking for a different voip service.(I've been with WebCall for 1-1/2 months now):p

·
Registered
8 Posts
mtvegan said:
but keep it in mind if at any time you wish to cancel your voip service with WebCall it is going to cost you $90.00 irregardless of what your reasons may be.So if this is not acceptable to you than keep on looking for a different voip service.(I've been with WebCall for 1-1/2 months now):p
It's actually $99.95.
TOS also states "If the analogue terminal adapter is returned in good condition to WebCall within 14 days, reasonable
wear and tear excepted, the Customer will be refunded the entire disconnect fee less any amounts outstanding for the Service..."

Therefore, unless you physically hammer your ATA, you should be able to get the disconnect fee back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, does your Caller ID for Webcall show both the name and telephone number?

Mine right now only shows the number.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mustardman said:
I'm suprised they are not in Saskatchewan since that is where all my support calls are going. Not sure why they are not expanding the service. Maybe they just want to stay small for now till they get the bugs worked out. Maybe they are waiting till the market settles down.
Saskatchewan will have 306 numbers in Regina, Saskatoon, and Prince Albert sometime in December 2005 - January 2006.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Mkam, most providers say that in the fine print and it comes down to a quality of service issue. they can't guarantee it will work.

Having said that, many people successfully use Fax machines on VoIP lines.

·
Registered
36 Posts
CanuckBlue said:
Did you guys have to open up ports in your ATA while using a router to be able to access the web?
The ATA has 2 modes. In gateway mode, it works like a 1 port router. You can log into and open up the ports you need. In <mumble> mode it works as a 2 port switch. It uses 1 port internally for itself and the other port is for the rest of your network. <mumble> mode only works if you get more than 1 IP address from your ISP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
<mumble> mode is 'bridged'. :D

WebCall's site now has 306 numbers available in Regina, Saskatoon, and Prince Albert. However, only the WebCall 1000 and WebCall Plus packages are available in these locations ... the $15.95 WebCall Basic plan is not available within Saskatchewan, due to something with CRTC price regulation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Forgot to mention ...

The addition of 306 numbers to the WebCall service also means that existing WebCall customers can now make free calls to Regina, Saskatoon, and Prince Albert without using up their long distance minutes, if I understand correctly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts