Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've checked LyngSat lately, then you may have noticed a new Ku-Band transponder on Galaxy 19 at 97°W with the following details...

Frequency: 12028
Symbol Rate: 21991
Polarity: Horizontal
FEC: 3/4
Modulation: DVB

I'm in Richmond Hill and I've got my 36" Fortec Star satellite dish and 0.2 dB linear LNB aligned and optimized for strong and balanced quality readings between the vertical and horizontal transponders on Galaxy 19. For some strange reason, after adding and saving the 12028 transponder on to my ViewSat Ultra Lite, the quality for it hovers at around 30 or less and this results in audio and video break-up even on a clear day. Is it just me or are others noticing this problem too? I could try tweaking my dish again but I'd rather not resort to that unless it would actually make the new channels watchable without a substantial quality drop across the other transponders.

·
Registered
267 Posts
NR4250 it is true this transponder has very low quality signal. I don't know why KTV2 and all KTV channels changed to this transponder without proper testing. Now it's watchable at 33%, but usually it goes to or below 26% which is viewing level on my receiver.
I have my 36" dish peaked at 101w and second lnb clamped for 97w, but when weather is bad and SES1 is not watchable Galaxy 19 is always coming in nice and strong. However this transponder is very problematic. Perhaps playing with lnb skew might help. I remember I had this problem when I was playing with 125w. I had the dish peaked however TV Montana was not coming in with good quality. I had to move the dish slightly to 125.5w for the proper quality on TV Montana transponder.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sometimes weak transponders just aren't watchable. OR are feeds that are not available with your existing FTA Receiver.

That said, I find that lyngsat is a great resource, but I find that it is a good idea, once in a while to delete all channels and all TPs, -- reset the box by turning off for a couple minutes and then back on.

And then do a complete re-scan of all available TP's.

Sometimes on your dish -- 12028 may actual be a variation of that number or the symbol rate differs, slightly.

In locating many FTA signals over the years, different dish positions can often lead to varying TP numbers. Even a Universal 1 LNB (9750 - 10600) vs. a Universal II (9750 to 10750) LNB will often lead to variances in TP numbers or symbol rates (not always, but sometimes).

In the end, great news that another FTA channel was added.

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
(since I'm a legal FTA satellite installer which means it's easy work for me)
As a fellow satellite installer, I wish you would stop using the term "legal FTA" which implies that normal FTA is not legal. As you know, this is not the case so as professionals, we need to make an effort to use the proper terminology.

FTA = Reception of unencrypted channels on either C or Ku band. All FTA is legal so using the term "legal" is redundant and misleading.

Satellite piracy = Illegal reception of encrypted channels using modified receivers. If someone asks you "is FTA up again?", you should reply "you mean satellite piracy?"

The term "FTA" has been used by satellites pirates as a euphemism for WAY too long so it's time to put an end to it now that satellite piracy is pretty much dead!

TIA

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses so far, guys. It appears as though this new transponder just isn't as strong as the others on Galaxy 19 but hopefully that will change over time, especially if more channels are added on to it.

As for me using the term "legal" in front of FTA, I didn't expect it to be a big deal because most users here are already aware that there's nothing illegal about normal FTA. I've been watching unencrypted FTA channels on 97°W for over 10 years now so I got in to this hobby long before the surge of piracy-ready FTA receivers that became popular during the Nagra 1 and Nagra 2 years. I don't quite agree with the assessment that satellite piracy is "pretty much dead," however, given that there are still FTA satellite receivers being sold these days which are used for piracy by means of Internet Key Sharing (IKS) through both public and private servers. All things considered, I can understand the objection to my wording but it was my first post in this particular sub-forum and I just wanted to be clear for those who aren't already as informed on the matter.

Now to get this topic back on track, has anyone else tried out this new 12028 transponder and if so, can you share your observations here and let us know which kind of hardware you're using?

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
7.5' C/Ku Mesh,
Below is from the Prof 7500 USB tuner, which is slaved off Openbox S9.
Plays fine on both. Looks like Kuwait's KTV...
Comparing the H Pol Transponder above and below it, definitely 12028 looks
a little weaker.
Code:
Tuning LBAND: 1230 
11963 H 22000 SIG  84% SNR  93% DVB-S  QPSK FEC_AUTO INVAUTO PIL_ON  ROL_35

Tuning LBAND: 1270 
12025 H 21991 SIG  78% SNR  69% DVB-S  QPSK FEC_AUTO INV_ON  PIL_ON  ROL_35
12025 H 21991 SIG  79% SNR  69% DVB-S  QPSK FEC_AUTO INV_ON  PIL_ON  ROL_35
12025 H 21991 SIG  78% SNR  69% DVB-S  QPSK FEC_AUTO INV_ON  PIL_ON  ROL_35

Tuning LBAND: 1310 
12056 H 22000 SIG  79% SNR  89% DVB-S  QPSK FEC_AUTO INV_ON  PIL_ON  ROL_35

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm picking up the 12028 tp on the west coast with a 1.0m dish,sg2100 motor,Invacom Quad lnbf and Azbox Premium Plus.
Signal is noticeably lower at 42% while most others are 54-60%.
Notice occasional video stutter.

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
Getting 50% to 55% on my motorized 36 inch dish with 0.1 dB Spitfire Elite LNBF. I would really recommend at least a 36 inch dish for reliable reception of 97W as there is lots of adjacent satellite interference coming in from the strong DirecTV transponders on 95W.

This is why you will notice that some transponders on 97W have higher quality readings if you aim slightly left or right from 97W, especially if you have a dish smaller than 36 inches in size as it is not 2 degree compliant. However, aiming away from the satellite will help some transponders but hurt others so with a smaller dish, you have to do a "balancing act" while aiming in order to receive acceptable quality on all transponders.

The best way to resolve this issue is to get a dish of at least 36 inches in size as the smaller the dish, the more "arc" it can see so the more likely it is to receive adjacent satellite interference.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The problems with 12028.
It was working when there was just the 3 KTVs. But I believe there trying to expand 12028 with more channels (CopticTV & wesal). That is causing more issues.

Another thing I have noticed with 12028. Is that 12028 is using a PAL format vs NTSC format. Now with the ultra 500 the image did come in quite beautifully. Because it supports NTSC & 4 PAL formats. However, with the viewsat 2000 the image comes in pixelated at some points. As it doesnt seem to fully support the PAL format.

Good Luck,
Al

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
An alternative for those people who continue having issues with the Kuwait channels on Galaxy 19 would be to use Hispasat 1C/1D/1E @ 30W instead if available in your area.

The same channels are available on the following transponder

Freq: 12092
Pol: H
SR: 27500

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm happy to report that the quality on this transponder appears to have improved enough to prevent the issues that existed when this topic was created. The 576i (PAL) video mode doesn't seem to run smoothly on ViewSat receivers, however, as suggested by Emerald_Boar a couple of posts back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes

Hello everybody, even I was visiting this forum for years, this is my first post.

The same thing still happens on the 12.152 H where RT, Al-Jazeera and TVRI are.

Maybe the H polarization it is also an issue.

Thanks for your posts, I have to think for a bigger dish.
I have a FORTEC 90 cm dish, 0.5 dB LNB (Fortec Star FSKU-v Single Universal LNB SKU: FSKU-V) and a WS Ultra 2000 in GMA.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Babilou 90cm dish for 97west is plenty big. RT, Al Jazerra transponder is very strong and the signal should be received rain or shine. You might have to re-aline you dish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts