Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. My WD Live is stuttering when playing 1080p .mkv files. I have the DLink DIR-615 300n router and the linksys wusb600n wireless usb.
When I play 1080p .mkv files, the video stutters after a few minutes.
Any idea on how to resolve this?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Two things I had troubles with the 615 and had to replace it with the 655 my issue was loosing ip internet connection and the other hard wire to the WD TV Live my issues became none how ever I only play from USB drives connected to the WD TV Live as streaming from cpu to WD TV Live was to erratic for me. Also do remember as soon as you take something original and compress or re encode other causes can be in the failure mix too.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Avoid a wireless connection for playing video altogether - particularly for 1080p.

Wireless is inherently unpredictable and erratic by nature and totally vulnerable to all kinds of environmental influences - even across very short distances.

If you absolutely must use wireless for video streaming, limit it to SD resolutions as expecting complete stability from anything more is not realistic unfortunately.

I have a WDTV Live also and the best move I ever made was taking the time to run an ethernet cable from my basement NAS to my family room.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wireless-N can support streaming of 1080p movies...however it needs to be a very strong signal. Take a look at the movies that you are having problems and I would guess that the they are encoded in a very high bitrate. I have installed several of the WD players and used both wired and wireless connections. The wireless installs typically involve numerous placements for the router to get the best signal and still sometimes cannot stream high bitrate 1080p streams.

In most installations, the wireless distance has only been 10-15 feet at only between one floor. You could also see if you can replace and antenna on the router, maybe see if you can load the dd-wrt firmware on it so you can control the output DB of the antenna.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts