Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 708 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I believe it was mentioned...
But it is possible that their contour is restricted towards Hamilton (and on up to Kitchener/Waterloo) to protect the transitional allotment for CKCO on the same channel.

·
Registered
251 Posts
New apllication - License to Cover (5/26/2010)

Looks like they put in a new application at the FCC. It's called license to cover. If you look into the power input to the antenna that's 4.82 kw. I don't know antenna theory so that may be more when it comes out of the antenna. Maybe more knowledgeable DHCers can comment. Also, what is license to cover? Maybe just a ways of saying we're up and operational?

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you look over to the right, of where the 4.82 is listed, you'll see the maximum ERP is 26.9kW for their transmitter.

·
Registered
316 Posts
WNGS is beaming in this morning in Stouffville. I guess its just tropo activity.
My VHF reception is on the fritz, but from what I have seen, Global CH7 analogue comes in up here. I'm surprised you got it thenewdc.

If WNGS is already near (at?) full power, I would think WNGS is going to be a problem for many across the top of the city, with an infringing analogue already on CH7.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yeah, but that doesn't mean that's what they're outputting now. That's just the limit of their max power. I and alot of other people are hoping that they're going to crank it up in the future. I believe they will ultimately be the ThisTV affiliate for Buffalo.

·
Registered
251 Posts
That too!

P.S. That would be much harder to do than up the power. I hope i'm not SOL on this one.

P.S.2 I was thinking about the height issue. Since they only have until June 12 maybe they are just getting anything up that they can to not let the license expire. Then down the road they can apply to put up a new antenna probably at a different site or make it higher at the same site. Just a hopeful thought.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Since they only have until June 12 maybe they are just getting anything up that they can to not let the license expire.
That is exactly what these broadcasts are all about. They are using their inadequate low powered Springville equipment to broadcast a signal with audio/video content and they're also using the old WKBW 7RF antenna as a repeater to rebroadcast a stronger signal in order to meet the contour criteria. If you check WKBW's old/new antenna coordinates you'll find that their old 7RF is the source of the strongest signals.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I'm saying they're likely using the old rf67 antenna to broadcast a weak signal [possibly analog or digital] locally and then rebroadcast a digital signal from the old WKBW 7RF antenna. WNGS went bankrupt and did not convert the very low power 67analog antenna to 7digital. This is why tvfool shows a dt and a dm listing. I'm not sure what the dm/dt means on the tvfool listing,.. maybe someone here can clarify.

There is no way that the Springville antenna could get a signal into my area. I have never seen a WNGS signal before or after the transition date.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Your saying that you never saw a WNGS signal before on rf67. But apparently as you decrease the frequency the amount of power needed to maintain the same contour would go down as well. It could be up to a 10 to 1 ratio. In the analog days I think VHF stations would usually run about 100 kw but the UHF stations would usually be up in the 1 Mw range for the same kind of contours. That could explain why your seeing a good signal if they are using the old rf67 antenna tower. That's just a guess on my part.

p.s. I'm thinking they just took down the rf67 antenna and put up an rf7 antenna in its place. It could also be directional like Jase said before.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
I'm saying they're likely using the old rf67 antenna to broadcast a weak signal [possibly analog or digital] locally and then rebroadcast a digital signal from the old WKBW 7RF antenna
Sorry to sound skeptical, but anyone transmitting on RF 67 (~791 Mhz) other than the current 700 Mhz Band License owner would be illegal. No Broadcasters have a license in that spectrum anymore since Last June 2009 when it was cleared. It was auctioned off for big $$$ long before it was cleared. They installed a new VHF antenna operating on CH 7 (177 Mhz) to replace the old one on the old tower, simple as that. It even states the exact antenna Model used in their construction permit modification. Which is made by a completely different manufacturer than the original RF 67 Antenna.

Makin me wanna take a spin down there with a Spectrum Analyzer to prove it, hehe...

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Yup! Yur the only one on these boards that lives close enough to make the drive and check it out. :p

I can't see with that nominal antenna height that I could get anything from that Springville tower no matter 7RF or 67RF. They may now have a 7RF antenna, but I'm certain that I would not be able to get such a solid signal from it.

I would also like to know what the DT vs DM means in the 2 listings shown on my tvfool report. Maybe the DM indicates the origin of the feed is coming from elsewhere [springville], possibly a fibre-optic feed. Those listings show 2 different coordinates and different ERP in relation to my location. One of those coordinates is indeed the old WKBW RF7 tower location.

Note that the highlighted tvfool coordinates are WKBW Buffalo area and the other is WNGS Springville area

WNGS-DM (Digital)
Channel: 7
Network:
Maximum ERP: 15.540 kW
Coordinates: 42.637 283 -78.619 469 <-- buffalo old

WNGS (Digital)
Channel: 7 (67.1)
Network: Independent
Maximum ERP: 26.900 kW
Coordinates: 42.567839 -78.723083 <-- springville current

WKBW-DT (Digital)
Channel: 38 (7.1)
Network: ABC
Maximum ERP: 358.000 kW
Coordinates: 42.637 505 -78.619 719 ,-- buffalo new

also note that the WNGS-DM listing does not show any network affiliation, it only shows the channel assignment as 7RF, so the old WKBW tower is likely being leased as a repeater for the springville broadcast.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
One of those coordinates is indeed the old WKBW RF7 tower location.
I hear ya. I think that's just because their Pre-Transition Digital signal rode on the back of WKBW's Digital Signal, so they had a relationship of sorts. They likely had plans to do just that, thus the filing, but then they went bankrupt, so all bets are off on any of that old documentation. TVfool just hasn't caught up with reality yet.
Frankly, there hasn't even been a need for Tvfool to catch up, since noone even really cared until now.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
Keep in mind that Mr. Arno, one of the guys now running WNGS, was a WKBW guy for many years, so perhaps there are some connections or symmetries being looked at between the stations as WNGS finds its feet.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
They are now using the old WNGS tower where they were broadcasting on RF67. They just replaced the antenna with an RF7 antenna. They planned on using WKBW's tower with the old CH-7 antenna but they couldn't access it for some technical reasons. They listed this in one of their applications, so they reverted back to the old WNGS site. I'm guessing that this may be a temporary situation for them for now. They actually have Industry Canada approval for the WKBW site at 15KW with much more height.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
OK! Now that is beginning to make perfect sense. It would be such a waste to have that old WKBW RF7 tower sitting idle. So likely this is what they are doing now is testing to resolve those issues with the WKBW tower. The days that the more distant WNGS reception is being reported by members on this board could be because they are working on resolving those WKBW RF7 tower issues. On my tvfool is shows co interference for WNGS because when both towers are lit-up and both are equiped with RF7 antennas. Maybe the digitalVHF signal from Springville simply carries a wider contour reaching into Ontario's shores than their analog signal ever did in the past. And the days where there is a longer distant contour could be during lit-up and testing of the old WKBW tower.

I'm not sure what to expect WNGS's new owners are planning as far as content, but with the new format of having 2 subs, I'm thinking HSC rather than religion. I'm hoping for a more general content, but I'm not too optimistic on seeing any major entertainment value with this station.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I was able to lock signal last night but was gone in morning.I read somewhere that the wkbw antenna could not be used because of safety or liability concerns with the tower climbing to install directional antenna at the approved height.Why they did not apply to use the old omni antenna at the top of the tower ?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Got a lock finally, 8:00pm tonight. Got these screens. My first Digital VHF station. YEHAW! Bring on the transition. Got this using the SH. Fine antenna in picking this one up.

101 - 120 of 708 Posts