Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 708 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
How do we even know they're running at full power? For all we know they could be putting out 1kw just to satisfy the FCC requirements.

As for Arno's quote, I just don't buy that. Most Buffalo stations don't anticipate their contour to extend beyond the lake, but it usually does. Especially when they say it will "cover the market as well as any other station". FCC contours can and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Unless they're putting this thing way directional to the south, it's inevitable some signal will reach us. It looks like their contour is northward so don't get your hopes down.

(Check the FCC contours for the other south BUF stations. They don't reach past the lake either, but somehow they do in reality.

It's stupid really when you compare populations. WNY has what, 1-2 million? The Horseshoe has about 8-9 million. If they can't be bothered to put a tiny iota of signal into our area, then I just think that's a really bad business model. It will of course depend on what's on the station too...

As Stampeder best put it, just hold yer horses ;)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Hope it 1) reaches us north of the lake and 2) has decent programming ;)

Right now I get wild fluctuations between 100 000 and 850 000 on my signal meter (it likes to produce huge numbers :p)
A typical lock is around 3.2m for this tuner and around 3.0 (adjusted for this tuner's readings) for my 1250
So it's barely just registering right now.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
On FCC site they are using the old analog 67 site and reception north of Buffalo will be hopeless.While it might appear to be high ,its only 66 metres above the ground with hills inbetween .

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Perhaps we should let the tvfool folks know that this station came up,
and point them to the updated fcc info? Then they might be able to
provide a reasonably accurate tvfool result.

Or, at least have them get rid of the bogus entry which has such a high
NM in GTA/horseshoe. Might cut down on the number of people getting misled.
Does anyone here know them folks?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Once again how are we sure they are churning out full power?

If they aren't we should try to contact the owners? Let them know there's a bigger market outside WNY that will be to their benefit? Especially if it's the rumoured multicultural station, no?

Don't flame me, this is based on mostly pure speculation, and some of my personal opinion. :p

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Over-hyped 7RF!

It's Daystar's preach and prayer content only at this time. It may be an OMNI TV type programming or it may continue in a relgious nature by new owners in the future. At this point, IMO, it's not worth considering messing with your current antenna set-up to attempt receiving this weak signal, with weak content feeds and uninteresting programming.

I think everyone is associating WNGS with RTN and ThisTV retro shows and movies. That's not what WNGS is anymore,.. it's just an idol transmitter, a license, owners with financial stresses and is currently a very low power local broadcast facility that is geared to religion and it's apparently up for sale.

If someone buys WNGS in the future for general programming purposes, it may be along the lines of content similar to SunTV or OMNI,.. or maybe RTN, ThisTV or more religion. For now, I would suggest sitting it out and wait to see what transpires over the next 6 months.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I agree, just another holy roller, not worth worrying about at this point.
Except, I think it's already sold and might need some fcc approvals.
That's why Daystar had to put it on the air again, one of many
conditions of sale. If noone was buying it, they might have just let the license expire.

The New owners didn't say what the new content is going to be.
Found that odd for a new station, especially when they had the perfect
chance/free publicity in the BuffaloNews article Stampeder pointed to.

Sidenote: Stampeder, I obtained a tvfool login, but their forum/site is painfully slow.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
For myself, I'm not so much concerned with the programming. This station firing up is of more interest to me with regards to testing out my VHF antennas. I simply see it as a means of gettings ready for the digital conversion, which will see many stations in my area going to VHF.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Daystar has sold station and condition of sale is to get on air.Pretty sure whatever new programming it will be more than religious stuff.To bad they are not using WKBWs old analog omni antenna and top of their high but very old tower.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Jase88 said:
For myself, I'm not so much concerned with the programming. This station firing up is of more interest to me with regards to testing out my VHF antennas. I simply see it as a means of gettings ready for the digital conversion, which will see many stations in my area going to VHF.
Hi Jase88,

I'm in Ayr, just south of you. Can you provide more details on your comments above, or a link to where these upcoming changes might be recorded? I'm just getting started with OTA, and would like to plan for the future changes. So far it's been a pretty steep learning curve!

Thanks,
Roger.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I GOT IT! Did they up their power???? They're coming into Kitchener now on my C5!!!!!!!!! Low, but not dropping out......

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Rens: Check the Kitchener/Waterloo and area thread. Toronto CFTO 9, Kitchener CKCO 13, Hamilton CHCH 11, Barrie CKVR 10, London CKVR 10 and of course channel 7 Clarence Center/Buffalo are available post transition in our area.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just ran a re-scan tonight after swapping antenna to my 4228HD unhacked (aside from bending balun harness back away from whiskers, and found WNGS on channel 7, re-mapped to 67.1, 67.2, 67.3. Religious programming at the moment. My TV only shows signal strength as Poor/Normal/Good/Excellent. This channel is locking in at 'Normal' at the moment.

Jase, thanks for the info. Not fully understanding this whole transition issue, I was thinking those existing high VHF channels might be reassigned to some UHF freq. after transition.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
renns: Just to confirm: you're getting channel 7 on a 4228HD in Ayr? Wow...good stuff. They must have made an adjustment to ERP...

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Reception of channel 7 could just be good conditions...as all of the other Buffalo and area stations are booming in right now, including ION and WNYO.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Jase,

Yep, 4228HD+Winegard HDP269 pre-amp on a tripod on the roof. WNGS is strange - 67.1 is fine, 67.2 is the same broadcast as 67.1, but with bad audio/video sync problems. 67.3 looks to be a test pattern of sorts, with video from the 67.1 bleeding through in sections.

What's odd about reception, is that about 6pm we could get nothing from Buffalo on the hacked 4221-style clone. I spent a bit of time on the roof re-mounting the 4228HD after converting it back to the stock balun. Now, when testing, all of Buffalo is coming in very strong, except ION. Also, for the first time I was able to lock CBC on 20 (virtual 5.1). I have trees obstructing my view of CN tower, and I've never been able to get even a hint of it before. Testing this OTA stuff is frustrating, as signal levels seem to change quite quickly making it hard to definitively evaluate new configurations.

61 - 80 of 708 Posts