Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the only way to watch videos downloaded from iTunes is to watch them on your computer or iPod? I know that via Apple TV you can watch them, but what other options are there. I want to be able to watch my downloads in my living room on my HDTV. (Not too much to ask.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you don't want an AppleTV, then I think your only other option would be to plug your PC into your HDTV. Because of the DRM, I don't think there's any other way.

It may be possible to get a TV-output cable for your iPod, but I don't think it would display in HD.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I used to use Tversity to stream hd podcasts through my ps3 to my tv. I ran into issues because neither my pc nor ps3 were wired so bandwidth sucked.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
If you don't want an AppleTV, then I think your only other option would be to plug your PC into your HDTV. Because of the DRM, I don't think there's any other way.
Yep that would be about it. What else could there be? Either a PC or an extender (in this case ATV)

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I've been watching this season of Mad Men (thanks to the boobs at BTV who refuse to carry AMC or MadMen....but I digress...) by using my my Samsung DLP as an external monitor: DVI-out from my Macbook Pro to HDMI input on the HDTV; then ran optical digital out from the headphone port of the MBP into the receiver.

The result: 720p picture with Dolby 5.1 sound out of iTunes (works the same with QuickTime and even VLC).

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
If you going to hook up a PC to the TV, a laptop or Mac Mini makes the most sense

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
iPod Mini equal 'Out of Luck'

I thought so. Thanks for the input. I heard about the A/V connections for the iPod, but I think because I have a early generation of the iPod Mini I am out of luck.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Coleman, please re-read what I said. MAC Mini.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
If you have an ipod that can show video on it, then you can indeed output that to a TV (under SETTINGS somewhere on the ipod, there's a choice to choose between displaying video on the ipod or "video out").

You only get composite video, and remember that it's compressed quite a bit - so if you're outputting to a 50" TV, it's gonna look like crap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts