Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to watch the first 2 episodes of Big Sky season 2. The second episode, aired on Oct.7th, is available to anyone online but the first one from Sept.30th is "locked" and you need to provide your TV service provider details. Hey Bell Media/CTV I don't have such and probably never will. Can someone please explain this insanity?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I hope I'm not breaking any rules here. If I did, my apologies.

North49, if you have a VPN, pick an American IP like New York and then click on this link. If you don't have a VPN, you may wish to consider getting one so you can get all these shows free via their respective stations.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It is quite common practice these days. American broadcasters (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) did it before Canadians did. The rationale is that you can watch recent episodes just as FTA. However, you need to pay to see their archives, which you do through cable subscription. As for watching on ABC, same thing. ABC will lock old episodes too. Granted that their free time is longer, but eventually old episodes will go to archives too.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope I'm not breaking any rules here. If I did, my apologies.

North49, if you have a VPN, pick an American IP like New York and then click on this link. If you don't have a VPN, you may wish to consider getting one so you can get all these shows free via their respective stations.

Hope this helps.
The ABC website does almost the same thing but in reverse.....S2 Ep.1 is available to everyone in the U.S. but S2 Ep.2 is currently "locked". The ABC website actually has the gall to tell people to get a "TV service provider" now if you don't currently have one (?????).

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The ABC website actually has the gall to tell people to get a "TV service provider" now if you don't currently have one (?????).
ABC is a business that gets revenue from service providers. While it is your prerogative to be a cord-cutter, can you blame ABC for requiring you to pay to access their products? ABC does not owe anything to you.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I am trying to watch the first 2 episodes of Big Sky season 2. The second episode, aired on Oct.7th, is available to anyone online but the first one from Sept.30th is "locked" and you need to provide your TV service provider details. Hey Bell Media/CTV I don't have such and probably never will. Can someone please explain this insanity?
Im in the same boat. I do not subscribe to conventional TV service, I only have streaming providers because of my wife. but a lot of TV shows I like are on conventional networks like CTV. I can not watch them even if I tried to Pay CTV. there is no way. They WANT you to pay a local cable or satellite or iptv provider to get their channel. heck even if you pick them up via Antenna your not considered a subscriber and cant login to the app, yes i find it very strange but heck i dont make up the rules and it does suck.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
They WANT you to pay a local cable or satellite or iptv provider to get their channel.
Of course they do. Other broadcaster do the same. CTV is owned by Bell which is a major satellite and IPTV provider. CTV also won't provide full OTA service to many major Canadian cities in order to drive up TV service subscriptions. Their greed and disdain for Canadian consumers is legendary.

·
Registered
45 Posts
In the city of Red Deer, Alberta CTV is still running a 40 year old NTSC analog channel 8 VHF transmitter.
The picture quality gets worse every year, it was much sharper image 8 years ago.
Global and City TV have both upgraded to full ATSC HD here, it's just CTV that treats this city like a getto.
CTV's signal covers 100,000 in city households plus extended broadcast area, witch is good for about 60km with their ERP for the transmitter.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
ABC is a business that gets revenue from service providers. While it is your prerogative to be a cord-cutter, can you blame ABC for requiring you to pay to access their products? ABC does not owe anything to you.
Why should I have to pay to access their services? When I watch their channel OTA I don't pay directly because they are ad supported and if I were to watch online, either CTV or ABC, the program would be interrupted with commercials......oh and btw I am so broken up that ABC doesn't owe me anything.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
ABC and CTV streaming usually contains ads as well. The ads are also harder to skip with streaming services. To get ABC ad free, a premium service such as Hulu (US$15/mo) is required.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts