Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With WatchHDTV, I use an external 250 GB HDD as a DVR, so yesterday on my TV, I watched Prison Break, Heroes, and Studio 60, and then recorded 24 with WatchHDTV and watched it in my bedroom after.

I was just wondering if there was any way I could hook up the external HDD and watch stuff on my TV? Would I need a DVR that plays DVR-MS files for that, or could I connect it directly to the TV somehow? Thanks!

·
Registered
177 Posts

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
I assume you recorded on a PC. One option is to connect the video and audio out from the PC to the TV. There is lots of info on this forum on how to do this.

Another solution to encode the file to a format that can be played on a DVD player and burn DVDs. This is a lot more time and effort in the long run. If you plan of burning the files to DVD for archiving, it might be the way to go.

A media player is another option but some media players have very low quality and good ones are fairly expensive. Make sure you get an "HD" model as these provide better video and audio quality.

Maybe the best option is a multimedia DVD player. Some will play files from a network share, local USB disk or DVD. They are also fairly expensive but offer good value for the money. Make sure you get an HD version as some older models also have poor quality. One of the best units on the market is the Zensonic Z500 but it is in limited supply.

A/V receivers are also starting to offer multimedia support. If you are in the market for a new A/V receiver, this is another option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts